Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just a few questions from a noob...

Indyoriginal

New in Town
Hello gents,

As stated, I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to the world of quality/vintage jackets. I come to TFL by way of Indy gear (primarily a jacket guy there too), but as with many of my Indy compatriots, my interests in various aspects of the golden age roam far and wide (but all strangely seem to include items made of leather...how odd :cool:). So that's my brief self introduction, now it's time for me to start with the annoying noob questions (and yes, I've tried to search for answers...of course).

First question is regarding vintage military jackets - aside from painstakingly combing through old threads on TFL looking for bits and pieces of info, are there any good sources of information about the history and reproduction of the a-2, b-3, and Irving that I can read so as to not bother anyone with my ignorance?

As well, I've read on here bits and pieces about some controversy, etc., with Aero and perhaps (?) Alexander Leathers, but I've also seen people state that their two versions of the HH are different. As far as I can tell from each site, they seem to both be FQHH from Horween, no? This question is meant to be purely practical in nature, as I've seen jackets from both vendors that have caught my eye.

Thanks gents,
Alexander

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Hello gents,

As well, I've read on here bits and pieces about some controversy, etc., with Aero and perhaps (?) Alexander Leathers, but I've also seen people state that their two versions of the HH are different. As far as I can tell from each site, they seem to both be FQHH from Horween, no? This question is meant to be purely practical in nature, as I've seen jackets from both vendors that have caught my eye.

Thanks gents,
Alexander

Aero is the only place you can get a jacket made with Horween CXL HH as far as I know. People have had jackets made up with it from other makers which they have bought elsewhere. I think I saw it used by a US company too on their jackets but can't remember the name.

AL can make a jacket in Horween CLX steer and Bison or Horween chrome tanned HH. That is used by Aero too sometimes and is a fairly glossy hide. Aero's CLX steer is or was heavier than ALs and not as wearable. They may have a lighter one now I don't know.

Last edited:

Indyoriginal

New in Town
Oh, I see. I was confusing CXL with Horween chrome tanned. In general, I stay as far away as I can to chrome tanned, much preferring veg-tanned if I can find it.

Thanks much for the reply, Capesofwrath!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Incidentally, some of the best jackets ever made were chrome tanned - by Brimaco, Buco, Brooks and Schott.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Hello gents,

First question is regarding vintage military jackets - aside from painstakingly combing through old threads on TFL looking for bits and pieces of info, are there any good sources of information about the history and reproduction of the a-2, b-3, and Irving that I can read so as to not bother anyone with my ignorance?

Thanks gents,
Alexander

Hi Alexander, you want history of old jackets? well there are lots of books out there, most of them expensive. A2s are well dealt with by Gary Eastman in his book on the subject, it shows every pocket flap and stitch colour available. Not bad at £70 but most of the info can be got for free at ACME depot.
Go here : http://acmedepot.com/a2jacket/
The books by Jon A Maguire cover most subject and are filled with great pics and text.
As for old civvy leathers, Books by Rin Tenaka cover all sorts of subjects, especially interesting is the book Motorcycle Jackets, a Century of Leather Design.

If you wanted the A2 book by Gary Eastman I would advise having a look at a copy first as it only covers A2s full of mostly jackets laid flat and close ups(put Gary Eastman book in a google images search and you will see what I mean). Maybe a similar book will be available for Irvin or other sheepskin jackets some day.

Anyway, enjoy the lounge, you can learn a load of stuff here, just ask a few questions and most of it is free!:D

Indyoriginal

New in Town
Thanks for all the great info, gentleman! In general, within the fan a-2 community, do people know which contract a-2 was prevalent amongst certain units, certain theaters of operation, etc.? Or we're they more or less distributed randomly, dependent upon circumstances?

I'm assuming here that use of photographic evidence to place certain jackets in certain places, times, is my best bet...

Peacoat

Bartender
Others on here are more knowledgeable than I about A-2 jackets, but from what I have seen it was just like all other items of military issue--luck of the draw.

If you are interested in dating an A-2, or determining the maker, Gary Eastman's book is invaluable. I have it, and it is a classic work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy