Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just another newbie

I am Akubra Man

New in Town
John in Covina said:
Australian for Hat Man! Whassup! SO what ones do you have and why?

Well, I have some Stryne and Kiwi kin that the family didn't know about for the better part of for decades. Long story short: Great Uncle kenny shacked up with a Maori woman in new zealand while on shore leave during WWII. He was, of course, unmarried at the time. Unbeknownst to Kenny, triplets were born. The woman never contacted uncle kenny because she thought he had a "life" waiting for him back home and didn't want to complicate it. All she had was one of his service pictures. She died young and the triplets had a hard life, one of the dying at a young age from illness. It broke the family's heart to hear about this because we all know uncle kenny would've flown out there the second he found out he had sons. So, all the sons had was a service photo of their father, and decades later, managed to track the family down after kenny had actually died. When they did contact us, they sent us their pictures first, and when I saw them, the first words out of my mouth were "Holy $#!T! That's Kenny!". They were carbon copies of their father. So, they flew up, but were kind of nervous about how they would be recieved.

Imagine their surprise when they found 200+ long lost family waiting inside a crammed airport terminal with flowers, balloons and gifts :)

They stayed for several weeks and turned everyone in the family on to everything australian and kiwi (one brother lives in sydney, the other in NZ), and thats how it got started, so I'm always wearing an akubra and a greenstone hei matau :).

As for the ones I have: Many! Bushman, Stockman, Snowy River (everyone has that one), Sydney, Drover, Down Under, etc. The three worn most are my stockman, down under, and bushman. It's a good thing I discovered akubras throught them, because ordinary felt hats weren't holding up to my wilderness loving lifestyle :)

geo

I may soon become an Akubra man myself, at least the Akubra is still made in Australia.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello

Hi Matt,
I don't know much about mens hats, but I know enough to guess which one your favorite ones are.
I just wanted to welcome you to the Lounge. My name is Cheryl, my friends call me Daisy or Spiely, (guys call me Spiely, gals Daisy). I hope you have a good time here. It's filled with great people, and it's a great learning experience. I'm pretty sure that even the most obscure vintage question can be answered!
Well, welcome to the lounge. Enjoy:cheers1:
Daisy (Spiely)

I am Akubra Man

New in Town
Daisy Buchanan said:
Hi Matt,
I don't know much about mens hats, but I know enough to guess which one your favorite ones are.
I just wanted to welcome you to the Lounge. My name is Cheryl, my friends call me Daisy or Spiely, (guys call me Spiely, gals Daisy). I hope you have a good time here. It's filled with great people, and it's a great learning experience. I'm pretty sure that even the most obscure vintage question can be answered!
Well, welcome to the lounge. Enjoy:cheers1:
Daisy (Spiely)

Indy Spielberg of indygear, right ? :) I go by "Walden" on that forum. How are ya?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou