Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just because I have bangs.....

hotrodmama0201

Familiar Face
....Doesn't mean I am trying to look like Bettie Page! Every time I get my bangs cut the comments start. It got me to thinking, about the numerous times I have had someone tell me that I don't look like her in an informative manner (as if I am supposed to be terribly disappointed and surprised)

One time was a few years ago, girl I worked with. She asked me if I was trying to look like Bettie by "wearing my hair that way", then informed me on all of the differences between us "Well, she was alot more voluptuous on top and had curvy hips, you are too skinny to be her!"

Another time sort of recently, and the most memorable, was a girl I worked with (once again) who would never talk to me, always give me nasty looks and try to bump into me. A girl that I got along with was friends with her, so I asked her one day "What's your friend's beef with me??" She informed me that the girl disliked me because I was "trying to look like Bettie Page and I don't look like her at all.".....and that the girl is a "serious" Bettie fan and "hates people like me who look nothing like her, that try to be her"

I also had a dude one time criticize me on MySpace about not "thinking I look like Bettie Page" the typing a "hahahaha" as a comment on one of my pics.

Well, I would just like to say "Thank You" to all these informative, intelligent people! All this time, I was walking around trying to be Bettie. I also thought I was a dead ringer for her :p

Blondie

Practically Family
That's like saying all girls who bleach their hair are Marilyn wanna-be's,
just stupid, i guess it shows how ignorant these people are,
try and just feel sorry for them as their sphere of reference is obviously so small. That and the fact that they are more than likely jealous of how gorgeous you are !

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
i know what hotrodmama means, about people being so superficial, they'd compare you to someone just because of a hair cut.i guess it's up to you to stop caring what other people think. who cares anyway, as long as you'r happy with who you are.;)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These chicks you're talking about obviously have serious issues. "Serious" Bettie fans? Please.

Anyway it's not like you've dyed your hair black.

That said, Bettie bangs are just that, so the comparisons are inevitable.

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
I kinda know what you mean though...I grew my bangs out a few years ago because she's the only point of reference people that aren't really into vintage living have and I heard it all the time (it doesn't help matters that I have really dark hair). Honestly, at least in my case, I think they were/are just being nice and trying to relate. So in the end I thought "to heck with it!” I LIKE my bangs short. They cover up my GIANT forehead that I am SUPER self-conscious about. Hotrodmam, if you like them short, wear them that way and to the devil with anyone who is THAT concerned about what you do with your head.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I am so sorry to hear that...
I can completly understand where u are comming from.. years ago I had "Bettie Bangs" I had them for a few years and recall always being asked.. Do u like Bettie ? Cause your bangs remind me of her.. LOL It used to offend me.. then at one point I stopped saying anything when they would ask me that. I just would smile and walk away.. :)

LawnFlamingo

Familiar Face
I have "the" bangs as well and every time someone makes some bettie page comment, I just tell them that I have bangs to cover a giant scar. It's a little over-the-top yes, but it shuts 'em up!

In reality, I have bangs because I have a giant forehead and wonky profile... the bangs lessen it.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Well, whatever anyone says about your bangs (or fringe as we call on this side of the pond)
Just don't do what I did, get bored one night and take the kitchen scissors to your fringe.

Round face + short fringe = bad shakespearean look.

lol

People always criticise what they don't get....muppets.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Ouch, hotrodmama. Sounds like you ran into a few bad apples. :( I didn't know who BP was exactly (had to look her up), but apparently her "look" has become very well-known. I guess it's natural for people to assume, but still, annoying. Especially when one *isn't* trying to look like a particular person, and is just inspired by the era. I've noticed that lately, it seems that "vintage" in pop culture means "vintage pin-up". That's a bit aggravating for those of us who just like the styles and the historical aspect.

Kitty_Sheridan said:
Well, whatever anyone says about your bangs (or fringe as we call on this side of the pond)
Just don't do what I did, get bored one night and take the kitchen scissors to your fringe.

Round face + short fringe = bad shakespearean look.

lol lol Ah, the fun when beauty & boredom collide!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I know it's annoying with the things people can assume about you and I really can't offer any advice or comfort. At least they have some concept of history if they can associate your look with someone from a past era. It's also annoying when you know something about your appearance or some other choice of yours is going to put you in a defensive position because people treat you like public property. Sorry, I'm not trying to fuel anything.

In the 1990s when I went through a Bollywood phase and I was always wearing my liquid eyeliner high swung. Every Indian felt a need to point out that I really don't resemble Meena Kumari or Vyjyanthimala (sp?) at all! "Can you even act?" "You're not really glamorous anyway". Blah, blah, blah. It's strange how people feel a need to voice these thoughts at all.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
hotrodmama0201 said:
....Well, I would just like to say "Thank You" to all these informative, intelligent people! All this time, I was walking around trying to be Bettie. I also thought I was a dead ringer for her :p

Bettie who? Never heard of her. ;)

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
BegintheBeguine said:
When they say "You don't look like Bettie Page" reply "That's good because I was going for Mamie Eisenhower!"
MamieEisenhower.jpg

lol :eusa_clap

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Ms. McGraw said:
So in the end I thought "to heck with it!” I LIKE my bangs short. They cover up my GIANT forehead that I am SUPER self-conscious about.

I read the above, and I've heard it mentioned many times before here on the forum, that girls with "giant" foreheads are self-conscious about them and try to cover them up. This puzzles me and makes me sad. I personally have a faiblesse for beautiful foreheads! Perhaps it depends on the shape of your face, but usually I think you should enhance rather than hide your forehead, and be proud if it's high.
I've posted pics of a few of my favorite forehead gals. I get really mad when their stylists cut bangs and hide their true ballerina/ princess beauty!

Alexis Bledel
Alexis_Bledel-007.jpg

2dvlf8y.jpg

Christina Ricci
ricci_christina1.jpg

christina.jpg

Gemma Ward
gemma%20ward%20headshot.jpg

Lily Cole
lily%20cole.jpg

Norma Jean Baker
MM-Conoverphoto49.jpg

I say "Show me your foreheads!" (I couldn't think of any more than NJ from the golden era off the top of my head, maybe you can?)

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
i think thats just rediculous, some people just think immediatly that you do weird/awsome things with your hair that it means your trying to be like someone.

i do everything with my hair, one day i arrived to school with my bangs curled under looking like Patricia Day from Horrorpops. everyone wouldn't look at me or talk to me, even my best friend would only talk to me for a few minutes giving me a look like she was a scared kitty. but because of that 'do my crush talked to me :D yada yada yada

Wheni started leaving my hair straight with poufiness on top to show off my layers- everyone told me i looked like ---and that i had no sense of respect for anyone because i looked the way i looked. . however thats how i met my boyfriend... it started out as a "eww ur soo,skinny,and look at that, you think pouffy hair can make you metal" and i said "your even skinnier than me!" yada yada rada rada:rolleyes:

I some how got benefits from all the teasing and complaining,i found out who i was. i figured that the thing everyone hates is my thing because im the only one brave enough to try it and be who I want to be.:eusa_clap
xxxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24