Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just bought a Cherry Highwayman!

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
GriffDeLaGriff said:
Hurry up and get it :D

worthlesswithoutpics

Sorry about no pics yet. The jacket gets in today and I don't get home to Cali (I work in Denver 1 week out of the month) until tonight. I promise to have pics over the weekend. lol

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
Finally some pics

Hey gang,

Sorry for the delay. I love the jacket. The thing is just brick stiff and I figure in about 5 years it'll finally have some drape to it.

Here are two quick pics taken for me by my 10 year old daughter.

Jacketpics007.jpg

Jacketpics009.jpg

Papa M

A-List Customer
Aaronlowe said:
Here are two quick pics taken for me by my 10 year old daughter.

I hope she wasn't laughing when she took the pics.

It sure is Cherry - but nowhere near as garish as I thought it would be.

It'll age brilliantly!

53Effie

A-List Customer
Excellent

Yes, I agree. It really looks sharp. I've not seen one that color before and I really like it. Looks like a good fit too. Now you need another Aero...It's catching!

mh

Very nice Aaronlowe!
I even like the color better than the darker cordovan. It has more of a burnished antiqued appearance. Good fit as well.
You might try a spray bottle of tap water to soften the leather. Spray till quite wet ....then wear until dry. After a few spray downs it will mold well to your shape and become more relaxed. You can even shape the collar while wet.
Looks good on you.
HD

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Wow what a beauty!

I love the color and it really suits you, how sweet that must feel :eusa_clap
What lining does it have?

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
GriffDeLaGriff said:
Wow what a beauty!

I love the color and it really suits you, how sweet that must feel :eusa_clap
What lining does it have?

It's alpaca and done in brown. I really like the storm cuffs on it. My Schott 189 has zipper cuffs which I've always thought were the best for a jacket of this style, but now I'm not so sure.

Edward

Bartender
Aaronlowe said:

That's a cracking looking jacket. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of a Bootlegger with a few custom alterations. I actually went for Cordovan in the end as I wasn't sure whether the cherry would be a bit too red for me, but it looks great in your photos. I've had something of a thing for leather with a reddish hue since Fight Club.

Was this sort of colour an option back in the day, or was it all browns and blacks?

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
I'm kinda thinking I want to sell it at this point. I really love the jacket and it does fit me, but I think I'll never get to wear it down here in SoCal. It's just so darned heavy.

thoughts?

tonypaj

Practically Family
Aaronlowe said:
thoughts?

Sure they're heavy. And if I were in your climate, I'd be thinking twice, as well. As I'm not, I'm not, but surprisingly, they are not as warm to wear as you'd think, they're just heavy and stiff. What's the size, anyway? Not that I'm thinking about anything, no sir...

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
tonypaj said:
Sure they're heavy. And if I were in your climate, I'd be thinking twice, as well. As I'm not, I'm not, but surprisingly, they are not as warm to wear as you'd think, they're just heavy and stiff. What's the size, anyway? Not that I'm thinking about anything, no sir...

It's a tight 44, really more like a true 42. I wear between a 42-44 dress jacket and 32" waist and it's a perfect fit for me at 5' 10".

I'm pretty torn over it because I really looked a long time for a coat like this, but I think I'll not get to wear it enough to actually break the thing in. If I ever buy one brand new, I'll go mid-weight HH. This full weight is unreal, but for SoCal I'm just not so sure. I already have a Filson wool weekender that I brought with me when we moved down here and I think I've worn it about 3 times over the last 2 years. But I digress........

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Aaronlowe said:
This full weight is unreal, but for SoCal I'm just not so sure. I already have a Filson wool weekender that I brought with me when we moved down here and I think I've worn it about 3 times over the last 2 years. But I digress........
Aaah, it's posts like this that make me feel better when there's 12 inches of snow on the ground. Well, almost.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Turn on the air conditioning and wear it Ha Ha

Turn on the air conditioning and wear it Ha Ha!
its a serious looking piece you have there, and if it weighs more than 5 lbs (it looks like it weighs 7 lbs or more) then it would be a bit to lug around. For where you are at, you may find yourself removing any lining and adding underarm vents and wear it early morning and late evenings. Here in Socal there is not much need to have room in a jacket for anything more than a couple of thin shirts and that is the truth. My two Lewis Leathers weight no more than 5 lbs and I feel they are substantial enough yet right on the limit of what is usable in Socal. these traditional leathers, however are not as warm as it looks especially withouut thermal insulation. Lighter shades are a must as well in Socal, black looks cool, but is not very practical when the on the desert floor. Welcome, thats some crazy stiff looking leather!

tonypaj

Practically Family
Stormcuffs, alpaca lining, that's a winter jacket. You could always send it to Aero and trade it in for something lighter, they often give a good deal that way. The lining can also be changed, the storm cuffs taken off, but that is costly and does not change the weight that much.

I'd want to have it but as I've managed to bring in two others over the last 2 months, it might be a highly controversial and not so enthusiastically applauded decision. Anyway, a very nice jacket...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff