Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just bought my first safety razor...

PoohBang

Suspended
it's quite heavy actually. I got it a few years on ebay with the original plastic "case" and a pack of blades for around 15-20 bucks. Well worth it if you see one to pick one up!

I would like to try one of the cheaper Merkur's if I ever find one just to see them side by side...

Mr Vim

One Too Many
James, I have a Merkur classic and man, I'm still learning how to use it. It gives me completely different shave, I dig the smoothness and it commands more respect than a regular cheap razor.

Enjoy Sir.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Shaving with a safety is significantly different than shaving with a cartridge razor. I remember the first time I did it. I could feel the blade tugging along and slicing through all the hairs in a sort of organised destruction.

It was quite a unique and satisfying feeling.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
PoohBang said:
Thanks to this thread I realized that my gillette has a date code...

F 2 so I guess it's from Feb of 1960.

3700249410_4d2e3cc1a6.jpg

Indeed a Gillette "Fat Boy" from 1960. The number 2 indicates the 2nd quarter of the year though, not the precise month of manufacture.
That looks to be a very nice example Pooh, as you many know that particular razor has become a Holy Grail razor for many. I've not owned or used one, but plenty of other Gillette DE razors will also give a great shave without the high price that the Fat Boy commands from many sellers. Just .02 for the newer shavers, Pooh, no implications on you of course.

Geesie

Practically Family
rmrdaddy said:
Indeed a Gillette "Fat Boy" from 1960. The number 2 indicates the 2nd quarter of the year though, not the precise month of manufacture.
That looks to be a very nice example Pooh, as you many know that particular razor has become a Holy Grail razor for many. I've not owned or used one, but plenty of other Gillette DE razors will also give a great shave without the high price that the Fat Boy commands from many sellers. Just .02 for the newer shavers, Pooh, no implications on you of course.

The prices are insane. I got my Gillette Adjustable - slim handle for about $20 on eBay because the seller had incorrectly listed it as a Fatboy and all the other bidders dropped out when he corrected it.
I just looked at eBay and there's one just like mine that's been bid up to $60. There are a few Fatboys that have been bid up above $50, $60, and $70.

They're nice razors and all but man... that's just ridiculous.

My father's been using his Fatboy since around 1960. I told him that it's valuable to collectors now and he said "what, are they going for ten bucks?"
I told him how much and he just got this look, a "what is wrong with people these days" look.

James71

A-List Customer
Update

Ok so I was a little disappointed with the first Wilkinson Sword blade that I used the other day, but I thought I would chuck it and try another one from the same pack. Glad that I did.

Its certainly not as sharp as the merkur super platinum blade, but I got a good shave from it and it seemed to cut fine on both sides.

Do you fellas find that there is the occasional dodgy blade in a pack? I suppose manufacturing tolerances being what they are there is bound to be a few sub standard ones. [huh]

Feraud

Bartender
James71 said:
Do you fellas find that there is the occasional dodgy blade in a pack? I suppose manufacturing tolerances being what they are there is bound to be a few sub standard ones. [huh]
Yes. Sometimes you encounter a dull blade. Chuck it and use another. They are cheap enough.

RobStC

A-List Customer
James71 said:

Yes, sometimes you seem to get a blade that is worse than average, in terms of sharpness or longevity.

The Gillette 7o'clock Sharp Edge blades that I use (the yellow packaged ones) seem to be more consistent than some others I have tried before, but even here there is sometimes variation. They also seem much sharper but also more forgiving than the Merkur blades, which feel pretty stiff and harsh in comparison, and the 7o'clocks give me a much closer and definitely more comfortable shave (used in a Merkur 34C razor).

Strongly recommended if you can get hold of them.....

RobStC

Mikey P

One of the Regulars
I've been using my Merkur 38C almost exclusively for over a year. I change it up with a Fatboy every once in a while, but the 38C works so well. When I travel I use a Superspeed that's as old as I am. I don't want to take a chance on loosing the 38C.

I've also found that shave sticks are the way to go when traveling. Really easy to use.

Waiting for my first straight razor to come in. I'm a little nervous, but I had to give it a try.

Welcome to the "no ingrown hair" club!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
James,
Unfortunately, a bit of trial and error does occur during the razor/blade pairing ritual. If you end up with multiple razors, you find out that different blades will feel better or worse to your skin with certain razors. There can be some pain (really!) throughout this process!

davestlouis

Practically Family
I found another Schick Injector today, for $9.50...different experience than DE, that's for sure. This one's newer than the last, perhaps 1950s, silver tone grained head, dark bluish plastic handle with a visible seam, so it's not Bakelite. It's disinfecting right now.

Next issue...DE blades are a heck of a lot easier to find locally than Schick Injector blades...I'm running low on Injectors.

KhalilSheikh

New in Town
After years with a Merkur Progress...

...I discovered this wonderful razor: The Feather All Steel.

A solid beautifully machined work of art. Paired with Feather blades, I achieve BBS heaven each and every time.
(not my images).
feather_DE_stainless.jpg

po9qv.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner