Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just bought my first safety razor...

James71

A-List Customer
After significant research that was all purely acedemic, I jumped in and bought my first ever safety razor. Its a Merkur Futur 702 fully adjustable. (For only A$129 - Ouch...)

It seems well built and solid. I got some Wilkinson Sword Classic blades for it, (mainly because they were the only ones they had to fit it).

Does anyone have any experience with this model razor or blades? Any words of wisdom?

702.jpg

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
James71 said:
After significant research that was all purely acedemic, I jumped in and bought my first ever safety razor. Its a Merkur Futur 702 fully adjustable. (For only A$129 - Ouch...)

It seems well built and solid. I got some Wilkinson Sword Classic blades for it, (mainly because they were the only ones they had to fit it).

Does anyone have any experience with this model razor or blades? Any words of wisdom?

702.jpg
While I don't own a Futur, I can say that Merkurs tend to last forever and are of good quality. I don't have any experience with Wilkinson blades, but if you get a chance, try the Merkur Platinums.
I would check out this fella.

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
James

Nice razor! As experience goes, I'm still somewhat of a newbie, but I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I noticed you're starting with Wilkinson sword blades. I too started out with Wilkinsons, but very recently I made the switch to Feathers. This was mostly a personal choice, as I use an antique Gillette Tech, which is widely considered to be a non-aggressive shaver. The Wilkinson's do seem to be a bit more forgiving, so it's probably best that you practice and see how aggressive your new razor is.

If you haven't, I'd suggest investing in a good traditional shaving lather. After months of using an Almond scented soap (whose name escapes me), I finally switched to Taylor of Old Bond Street lather. Worth. Every. Penny. Even with the molecular-sharp Feather, shaving feels like a glide.

Others on this forum will likely advise you invest in a good brush. I haven't any experience as of yet with a good quality brush, so I'm not able to render judgement on whether it will be an improvement. I CAN say however that my Omega brand (boar?) hair brush is "shedding" quite a bit. I spent perhaps 20 dollars or so, so it might be a good idea to consider investing in a better brush.

Hope you enjoy your new kit!

RP

repeatclicks

Practically Family
I would have gone with a 1940s or 50s Gillette Super Speed or Rocket, and saved yourself $70 in the process, but hey that's me. You can also get any blade you like for the old boys.

James71

A-List Customer
Hey guys, thanks for the input so far.

I would have liked a vintage one, but alas, couldnt get my hands on one here in Australia, and ebay wasnt helping. Im considering this one a trial.

I plan on getting a few different types if I like this one.

A little while ago I got a badger hair brush and some good soap, and its worlds apart from those aerosol things Ive been using for the past 20 years.

Mav

A-List Customer
Can't comment on the equipment itself- I'm too cheap to buy a really good razor, and I just retired (it broke, actually) my second DE, which I've been using for about 25 years. A cheapo drugstore Gillette, I think. Just ordered a replacement online (a Parker).
However, as to DE razor shaving itself: go slowly. These modern multi- edge disposable disasters (I use one for travel) are for cheating- a really fast, relatively bloodless shave that doesn't treat your skin very well.
Go slow, and depending on the weight of your beard, you may have to go over it a second time.

Feraud

Bartender
Enjoy it. The Merkur has a good reputation as a well built razor that will give you a good shave.
You might need to adjust your shaving technique to adjust for the double edge razor. Take your time with shaving with it and give us your feedback.

Edward

Bartender
I've been using another model Merkur, the Progress, for the last couple of years - superb. Sure, a good DE seems expensive to begin with, but when you look at the price of a modern cartridge razor (I have to use these still for over the top of my head), they pay for themselves very quickly.

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
I use a Merkur for travel (I use a straight razor when I'm at home). It's great, goes into a 1.5"x1.5"x.5" pouch and provides a pretty nice shave.

Try out the Kiehl's line of stuff. I use their liteflite meant to be used with a brush and it's incredible. Menthol and Camphor really make for a nice shave and the lather is just about perfect.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
A Merkur...

...has been my everyday razor for years. They are super reliable. You may have bought you last razor.

As far as blades, you may discover that Merkur and Wilkinson Sword blades are the same. Walmart recently went from Persona (American Safety Razor) to Wilkinson Sword blades and I discovered they were made in Germany.

sparks

New in Town
excellent choice!

i've used the futur for about 6 months now;

just be careful with adjusting it!!!!!

to adjust it, hold it like you would a car key - place the head ona towel and twist your hand to the desired setting; 1 mildest; 6+ unforgiving!

i've used swords and $1 store dorcos - all with good success;

as the saying goes: NO PRESSURE!!! hold the razor with thumb and first fingertips on the sides of the shaft near the bottom!!!!

as once was told to me - it should sound like a sharp knife scraping toast - is accurate;

ZERO PRESSURE!!
never slide the blade onto your face!
only use 1 hand to adjust it - i used 2 ONCE - laid my left thumb open about
2cm;

i'ved used a tech and a SS adjustable and slim; the futur is a modern heavy version of the SS;

remember - NO PRESSURE!!!!!!!

good luck and nice choice

James71

A-List Customer
Great advice! Thanks for the tips. I adjusted mine to 1 before I put the blade in so I will start with that. Tonight when I get home I will it out for the first time.

I will post about it when I get back from surgery....

James71

A-List Customer
Right O. So I tried the Merkur 702 tonight for the first time. You were right. I will never need to buy another razor again.

I know that many have waxed lyrical in this and other fora about the amazing experience single blade shaving is. I never really expected it to live up to all the hype.

But Bloody Hell! Shaving has changed for me forever.

I make the following observations:-

* Im 38 years old. Ive been shaving for 20 odd years. This is the first painless shave of my life.

* I followed all the directions about preparation that are found online and on youttube and they work a treat.

* Its definitely not the fastest shave Ive ever had, but it is by far the most enjoyable. Its worth the 10 or 15 mins invested.

*The merkur is a great razor, if only in my obviously limited experience. I started with it dialled down to its tamest setting but was comfortable enough to up the ante a few notches on the second pass and it was all fine. The virtual training wheels of the number one setting was a great confidence booster while I worked out the angles and got the technique down pat.

*No blood. No nicks. No new razor burn. (Im still getting over the shaving rash from the last time I will ever use a cartridge razor, which was on Sunday)

To all who have written on the threads here about the joys of DE safety razor shaving I owe a massive debt of gratitude.

Feraud

Bartender
James71 said:
* Its definitely not the fastest shave Ive ever had, but it is by far the most enjoyable. Its worth the 10 or 15 mins invested.

With use you will find your technique improving and it might take you less time to shave. Not that less time or rushing to finish should be something to aspire to when pulling a razor blade across your face. ;)
Your face is something you present to the world every day. Shaving need not be some dreaded rush to finish.
There is nothing wrong with treating it to the best shave you can manage.

Edward

Bartender
HHISIII said:
I use a Merkur for travel (I use a straight razor when I'm at home). It's great, goes into a 1.5"x1.5"x.5" pouch and provides a pretty nice shave.

That's the specific Merkur travel model, I take it? I plan to buy myself one of those soonish. I am told that those are issued to many military personnel the world over because they are compact to travel with and are easily cleaned due to being dismantle-able.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
And yes...

...you will get better. I have a very heavy beard and do a three pass shave with a fourth “water pass” clean-up which is essentially another whole pass. My hair is curly and I used to always have a line of red bumps on my neck. No more. My shaves are glass smooth even against the grain when I’m done.

I used to think it was normal to have “five o-clock shadow” at 2 or 3 PM, and to look unshaven by dinner. Now I don’t even look that bad the next morning.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
This is probably the Mercur travel razor we're talking about. That is the travel razor that I've been using for a couple years now. An excellent choice even for regular use once you get used to the balance.
RZ-MER-210.jpg

My regular one is the simple classic Mercur 38C.
RZ-MER-38C.jpg

While the engineering geek in me likes the idea of an adjustable setting and "butterfly" loading, I am at the point in life where simplicity is more important. The Mercur 38C (and others like it) is as simple as it gets. I especially like the fact that it is very easy to clean. After each shave I take it apart, dry the blade and wipe the razor down. It always looks like new.

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
That is the one Colonel! It's a great little travel razor. I usually just pick up blades whenever I get off the plane and mail the excess back to myself at some point.

With time, you'll get confident and competent with your razor. A DE shave usually only lasts 5-6 minutes for me and if I'm really in a rush at home, I can manage a triple pass of the straight in about 20. I've managed to cut myself maybe 2-3 times total and never any worse than with a multi-blade.

PoohBang

Suspended
I have a gillette adjustable and use the persona super. It does an okay job. Usually on the second shave the blades cut me a little so I can only get 2-3 days tops per blade.

I do have a really heavy beard so maybe that's part of it.

I'd love to try out that fancy razor you have, but I'll have to stick to my gillette for now....

it's very elegant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner