Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Just Leather' Leather Jacket: anyone with experience?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Moderators, could you all fix my mis-spelled title...thanks! :)

Done! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think they're still around, used to drive by when I lived in San Jose. Never went in however. Heavy biker vibe iirc. The quality of some of their work I've seen on ebay, etc looks really good.

i think @technovox had one?

dubpynchon

One Too Many
They have a jacket with a removable hoodie built in! Good idea but I don’t like the perforated panels on the jacket.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hum... something has happened...

upload_2020-6-23_15-8-59.png

They pop up often on eBay, sometimes unnamed. Normally in the $250 range, give or take. They do look nice and I am almost always tempted at the price.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
They pop up often on eBay, sometimes unnamed. Normally in the $250 range, give or take. They do look nice and I am almost always tempted at the price.

This makes sense to me. The CL ad in Elgin, IL (about a 2 hour drive for me) is for $400 and the seller indicates he has had it over 20 years. Which seems to me perhaps even more than he paid for it originally, adjusted for inflation. I don't think he would deal with offers much, but I might try. Plus if it's not been maintained, at least to some degree, it may be cracking and ruined, if stored in a forced air heated home, that is possible. It certainly looks 8+ lbs or more in weight.

As for the jackets themselves, the CR and "winged collar" both look apealing, as does the California Patrol model. The leather is (???) Sourced from (???) From a distance, these appear simiar overall to Fox Creek or the Ohio based "TRD" Leathers. So middle of the road in terms of price/quality/value?

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
A leather jacket maker that does not mention anything about the quality of the leather being used is a red flag. A company that fly's the red flag is telling you the quality is poor !!

Edward

Bartender
A leather jacket maker that does not mention anything about the quality of the leather being used is a red flag. A company that fly's the red flag is telling you the quality is poor !!

Mn. I can see where you're coming from, and certainly I'm wary of "Real Leather!" type labels, though on the other hand if they're aiming at the mid-market, mainstream, Schott consumer, I'm not sure that category of buyer is as focussed on those sorts of details as the likes of us.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up

Point well taken, and no offense to me at all with the direct comments here. I simply put the thread out there asking if anyone had first-hand knowledge/experance with the maker and thier products.

Most manufacturers only allude to who and where thier leather, stichings, linings are sourced from. Sometimes you only get the manufacturer's name for the leather, such Vanson's Competetion weight, or Z150 or X150.

I had a 50% brain idea to reach out to the CL ad and see about his jacket. If it were 50% of his asking price, it might make a good beater/winter/working jacket. That's all I had in mind here.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mn. I can see where you're coming from, and certainly I'm wary of "Real Leather!" type labels, though on the other hand if they're aiming at the mid-market, mainstream, Schott consumer, I'm not sure that category of buyer is as focussed on those sorts of details as the likes of us.
Funny that we haven't seen this addressed more often. It's a tricky issue but I think Treeman's right, as sellers who have a good hide almost always want the market to know about it even if it's only a low-grade cowhide. Whenever I see "Real Leather" or its even dodgier cousin "Genuine Leather" I always have to wonder. Why would a seller use either of those terms when they could name the actual kind of beast? Even the average buyer who doesn't know much about leather would feel much more assured if he or she saw the name of the exact hide they were getting, which is why the absence of that info would be cause for concern.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points