Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just ordered Aero Windward jacket

RainLikeGravel

New in Town
Hello to you Fedora Loungers - it's my first post.

Last few weeks I observed the "leather jacket section" here and found it highly informative and entertaining. Where else can you talk flight jacket specs so much en detail? It just got cold here in Germany so finally I can wear my ELC Rough Wear B-6 - really a nice, practical (light) flight jacket.

I was just wondering if someone here has experience with Aero's Windward jacket - I just ordered one in cordovan horsehide. I've a 38.25" chest, normally wear size 40 in A-2s, but Amanda advised me to order size 38 with this model. So, just courious if someone can give a comment to the Windward. http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/6828956

All the best,
Tom

justice925@insi

New in Town
I am also waiting on an Aero Windward. Amanda was agreat help in ordering. I dont think we will be dissapointed from these folks say. Post some pics too.

Keep in mind that the Aero Windward is a very short fitting jacket compared to the Highwayman and HalfBelt styles. If you want the jacket to cover your belt and buckle..it might be advisable to add an inch or two in length.
HD

Adam in Canada

New in Town
... speaking of HalfBelt length

HoosierDaddy said:
Keep in mind that the Aero Windward is a very short fitting jacket compared to the Highwayman and HalfBelt styles. If you want the jacket to cover your belt and buckle..it might be advisable to add an inch or two in length.
HD
HD, can you comment/provide pic, re: halfbelt length? And if you have an idea of the length of a 1930s halfbelt slimfit, since that is the cut I'm starting with, I'd appreciate that feedback.

I'm looking for my jacket to end below the belt/buckle, somewhere around the top- to mid-back pocket on a typical pair of jeans... untucked t-shirt length.

I measured my cafe racer from the neck seam to the bottom, and it's 27". Would a 1930s HB be as long or longer than the cafe racer?

Thanks for the help, HD.

Tom, I'd be surprised if you weren't completely satisfied. I've purchased 2 Aeros and they are both fantastic jackets.

Let us know how it turns out!

Adam

Adam
The first pic is a vintage brown HH '30s HalfBelt fresh outa the box...the next is a steer '30s HalfBelt. Size 42..with standard measurements. Both measure 24" from bottom of collar to jacket bottom in the back...and taper longer in front. I'm 6'2"..182 lbs. My Highwayman measures 25" from bottom of collar to bottom of jacket in back..as well as the regular HalfBelt.
The Windward is normally made shorter in length than these jackets.

100_0454.jpg

100_0449.jpg

HD

RainLikeGravel

New in Town
short jacket

Thanks folks for good replies! :eusa_clap

I like trim fitting leather jackets, hope the Windward will not be too short but I like it in the original shape. I own a few A-2s and shearling jackets which I ordered a bit too large unfortunately, so this one now has to fit snug. If it will be too short, Amanda offerd me to return it and get a better fitting one. I'm curious now and looking forward for it (maybe I get it before christmas?). Will post pics then.

All the best,
Tom

Windward

Practically Family
Show us your new AERO Windward Jacket

RainLikeGravel said:
Thanks folks for good replies! :eusa_clap

I like trim fitting leather jackets, hope the Windward will not be too short ...
Will post pics then.

All the best,
Tom

Hi RainLikeGravel I hope you received your Windward and you are happy with the lenght! Please show us how this beauty fits you ?

Here are my pics ....
http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/...ew&current=Windward48NEWVintageBlackFRONT.jpg
worthlesswithoutpics
Windward

RainLikeGravel

New in Town
great short jacket

Hello Windward (nice ID ;-),
recently this Aero jacket arrives with delay - Aero was very busy during january. I've ordered a size 38 and it fits perfectly to my taste since I like these short jackets to fit trim. It was very stiff (in fact it was able to stand right up in the middle of the floor) so I took some time to soften up the leather before the first wear. I have to talk my girlfriend into making a photo of the two of us, then I will post again.
Ciao, Thomas

Windward

Practically Family
AERO are the best . . . .

... It was very stiff (in fact it was able to stand right up in the middle of the floor) so I took some time to soften up the leather before the first wear. I have to talk my girlfriend into making a photo of the two of us, then I will post again.
Ciao, Thomas[/QUOTE]

Hi Thomas
I'm looking curious how your new friend fits you. I agree cordovan is slightly stiffer than vintage HH but it will be also very comfortable like all FQHH after breaking in. My wife is very patience so I am able to wear new jackets several days also in the house (while take dinner or lunch . . .sometimes)
What do you do particulary for soften it up before wearing?

Enjoy your jacket and wear it proudly!
Windward

RainLikeGravel

New in Town
soften cordovan fq HH

He Windward,
for softening I was putting on some good music and started kneading the leather, roll the arms up and down and push particularly the collar and zipper section to smooth up. After two hours of work the leather's only half as stiff, the rest will soften while wearing. Congrats on your jacket too - wear it in good health. Thomas

trim fits

hi rainlikegravel,

reading your posts' like hear myself talking: i call 7 pieces my own but the older ones are not fitting me well enough from my today's point of view. i got one eastman luftwaffe in black HH in '40 several years ago and it's perfect - with a sweater! amanda advised me '38 for the 50s fur half belt i ordered in december - it should arrive these days. rufus posted in another thread that the cordovan (which i ordered) might scrub and bleed colour - does any one's any experience?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thomas,

Great jacket and great pictures.
If you wouldn't mind, could you take one with
your arms up? It is difficult to see how the arms
are cut.

Congratulations.

Windward

Practically Family
RainLikeGravel said:
OK, I promised to bring on photos of my new Windward, here they are (camera is not working very well):

wind001.jpg

wind002.jpg

wind003.jpg

wind004.jpg

Thomas

Hi Thomas,
thanks for sharing your pics. Awesome jacket and looks great on you.:eusa_clap
The broad waistband makes the look complete. If it will "Rain like gravel" it will help to bring out the patina.
Windward

RainLikeGravel

New in Town
Windward details

Thanks folks for friendly comments!

feltfan: I made some detailed pictures of the arms - hope they got what you like to see.

miles_archer: just didn't know that there is a bluegrass section here in this forum - I'll check it out, thanks. For me as a banjo picker I go often to the banjohangout.com

DSCI0001.jpg

DSCI0002.jpg

DSCI0003.jpg

DSCI0004.jpg

DSCI0007.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thomas,

Thank you for the photographs.
I'm sure you will enjoy that jacket!

We are having a Bluegrass and Old Time
Festival at multiple venues here in the