Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just purchased a Knox & CA4LA collaboration hat, made in Japan

Dalamon

New in Town
Have any of you ever heard of these? I know Knox used to make hats, but I can't really find them online as new versions. Apparently the hats are made specially for CA4LA, a specialty hat store found here in Japan (I am living in Nagoya at the moment). The store also had Borsalinos, Stetsons, and some other higher priced hats. Including one made with 100% beaver fur.

Mine is 100% rabbit fur, made in Japan, and cost me about $178 USD.

Here's a link to the hat I tried on in the store

https://store.ca4la.com/item4549087458954/

Translated into English:

BWL-6.5-A

¥ 22,140 (tax included)

Designer KNOX
Size
size
[57]
Height 13cm / collar 6.5cm / head around 57cm (size adjustment There -2cm)
[58]
Height of about 13cm / collar about 6.5cm / head around 58cm (size adjustment There -2cm)
[59]
Height 13cm / collar 6.5cm / head around 58cm (size adjustment There -2cm)
Size Guide here

Material
Material

Rabbit fur 100%

Detail
Item Details

Finest fur antelope Waidoburimu a bowler hat of CA4LA has bespoke KNOX (Knox) Inc. have been loved in Japan born in the United States.

Use good-quality rabbit fur "antelope". Flexible body that was moist, smooth texture and matte luster will showcases a sense of luxury. Durability is high, and one is a point of rash the crown of the silhouette is deformed to their liking. And pinching in the middle broken hat style, to be or crushed as Mountain hat, a high degree of freedom is also attractive.

Slip is also high cleanliness by mounting the adjuster slip having both water-absorbing quick-drying and antimicrobial deodorant function, making it possible to fine-tune the fit. It is a wide-brim hat of a man who can even suffered in mode to lock.

Fits me really nicely I think-- I realized that some of the shorter-brimmed hats fit me better (I'm 6'4", quite slim). I initially wanted a black hat, but I didn't find any in stock. Went with white instead. Really looks sharp. I'll have to take some better photos, but here are a quick couple:

NUjJCTh.jpg

EFmdHNf.jpg

GcbG1J2.jpg

7TZzeYM.jpg

Last edited:

Dalamon

New in Town
Reason I posted this thread is because I was just wondering if any people have heard, or encountered this brand before.

This is my first proper hat. I purchased a wool-felt Paul Smith trilby about a year ago, and I wear it almost every day. Doing some glancing around, I found that people suggested shelling out the extra cash for a proper fur felt hat. This hat was the cheapest I found, for a fit as nice as it was. I would have needed to spend twice the amount on a Borsalino or Stetson here in Japan, unless I went strictly vintage (which I didn't want).

Tell me what you guys think! Looks okay? Don't like the brand? Think I got ripped off? Think it's a good deal? Don't like the colour?

In the meantime, any tips for someone who literally knows next-to-nothing about hats would be greatly appreciated! (had no idea what the japanese description was talking about, when forming the crown shapes and stuff).

Welcome to the Lounge, Dalamon. I had read, several months ago, that Knox was being marketed in Japan exclusively. However, Levine Hat Company at one time advertised as the exclusive home of Knox hats. Levine hats no longer shows Knox as one of their brands; however, if you Google Knox Hat, you can still get to a web page with a couple on it. I'm assuming these, and your, hat, are made by Hatco. Also, one of our Members, javadave, recently picked up a Knox at the Hatco outlet store in Garland, TX. He said the sweat was low quality and had to be replaced, but the hat is nice. Does yours have a leather sweat? The pix on the website made it difficult to tell, and I can't see the sweat on yours.

Lastly, I distinctly remember Deckard posting an Instagram of him creasing a new Knox Zephyr Weight, but I can no longer find it.

Welcome to the Lounge, Dalamon. I had read, several months ago, that Knox was being marketed in Japan exclusively. However, Levine Hat Company at one time advertised as the exclusive home of Knox hats. Levine hats no longer shows Knox as one of their brands; however, if you Google Knox Hat, you can still get to a web page with a couple on it. I'm assuming these, and your, hat, are made by Hatco. Also, one of our Members, javadave, recently picked up a Knox at the Hatco outlet store in Garland, TX. He said the sweat was low quality and had to be replaced, but the hat is nice. Does yours have a leather sweat? The pix on the website made it difficult to tell, and I can't see the sweat on yours.

Lastly, I distinctly remember Deckard posting an Instagram of him creasing a new Knox Zephyr Weight, but I can no longer find it.

I found (12/2014) this Knox - Levine at the HatCo outlet.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...7-5-8-61cm-with-a-wide-box-bow-pin-new.80029/

Weave Toshi Co.

http://www.weavetoshi.co.jp/whoweare.html

Dalamon

New in Town

It doesn't have a leather sweatband, which is unfortunate. A similarly priced rabbit felt hat (Hills Hats, from New Zealand) was in the store and it had the leather felt-- but they only had it in a super short-brimmed bowler style. Maybe I shoulda held out and got one of the NZ hats online. Or maybe I'll just get it a leather sweatband sometime down the road.

The hat is 100% saying it's made in Japan-- I think it's made by that Weave Toshi company. Apparently they have a massive hat-making factory here in Japan

Dalamon

New in Town
^ interesting.

CA4LA only has stores in Japan-- save for one shop in London. Maybe a more-knowledged British poster can go and check it out, see how the hats compare to some of their pricier alternatives!!

I will say, I'm a pretty big fan of the design (in person).

javadave61

Practically Family
Just gotta say you look great in the hat. Can't comment on the value, as I know nothing of the Japanese financial market. Here on the Lounge, we'll finely pick apart certain details, but no matter those things, you'll be better hatted than 99% of the people around you. The move to a nice crown, fur felt, and generous brim is a real upgrade. If the cloth sweat is comfortable, then no worries there.

One other thing, I expected to see the hat creased and the brim shaped as I scrolled through the pics, because people like me look stupid otherwise. But you pull off the open crown and upturned brim fabulously.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Dalamon

New in Town
Just gotta say you look great in the hat. Can't comment on the value, as I know nothing of the Japanese financial market. Here on the Lounge, we'll finely pick apart certain details, but no matter those things, you'll be better hatted than 99% of the people around you. The move to a nice crown, fur felt, and generous brim is a real upgrade. If the cloth sweat is comfortable, then no worries there.

One other thing, I expected to see the hat creased and the brim shaped as I scrolled through the pics, because people like me look stupid otherwise. But you pull off the open crown and upturned brim fabulously.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Man, this was just the best post. Thanks so much!!!! From the bottom of my heart. Kind folk on this forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany