Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

projectthx138

New in Town
My REAL CLOSE second favorite hat.................

Raylan_S6_2_zpsy7q2elnr.jpg

projectthx138

New in Town
I guess my question is this, do you think hjaxonbilthats.com could build me this hat??? Baron scares the living hell out of me with their prices plus they made so many different hats for the show I really don't have much faith in them making me one like the one I want. I mean if they were so good how come their was so many different hats used??? You would think they would just keep making the same hat over and over for the show.................. o_O Of course it could have just been the show changing the style of the hat for different seasons/episodes so I don't want to sound like I am blaming Baron for this but I just have a lot of questions I would want answered before I laid that kind of money down for one of their hats and even then it would be really, really hard for me to spend that kind of money on a hat........... :eek:

projectthx138

New in Town
Oh, I am calling them tomorrow I just wanted to basically know if anyone had anything custom made from them and if so how they liked what they had made................. :)

Reactions: RJR

Quicksilver

New in Town
Interesting. Anyone know the price ranges on the Jaxonbilt replica? I purchased a stetson marshall for halloween but wouldn't mind having a better quality version. I personally think the hat from the show is the best looking hat I've ever seen, bar none.

One of the Regulars
Thanks for persevering, Projectthx138. I bought a Stetson Carson to get a justified hat and I like it, but I see now the crown is a bit lower. I also have a silverbelly resistol that I got the brim trimmed on for the same effect, the crown's a bit higher on that one. Another candidate for a bargain "close enough" version is a ranch tan Stetson Cowboy, again with a slight trim. That one's taller than the Carson as well. One of these days I may even splurge for the hat band to complete the ensemble.

Shooter

New in Town
I have the Jaxonbilt Justified. It is a nice hat but if you get it as standard you will be disappointed, it's far from 100% accurate. Definitely worth asking if you can send a bunch of photos to work from because the quality is great, but you will need to be very specific about what you want. I also have the Knudsen Justified, which is just a Stetson reshaped. A little more accurate than the Jaxonbilt on first glance but nothing you couldn't do yourself with a bit of time and patience, plus the crown is too low and mine developed a serious taper after getting wet.

In terms of crown and brim measurements, I have burnt through a bunch of cheap used Stetsons experimenting and have concluded that the crown needs to be somewhere around 4 1/4" front and 5" center. Brim width all depends on the era you are going for. My current preference is seasons 2-4, which is a 3 1/4" brim, like this:

justified_olyphant.jpg

timothy_olyphant.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

Justified_620_010713.jpg

Season 5 (your first picture) I believe kept the same brim but season 6 (second picture) would be 3 1/2". Obviously shape plays a part in how it appears but it definitely grew on the last season.

As I think I've said before, the best result I've found is getting a stock Stetson 5X in ranch tan (I think the code is COWB-R), which you can easily pick up on Ebay for under $100 most of the time, and spend a bit of time trimming and reshaping to suit what you want. I was aiming for the style above and managed this quite easily:

rt1_zpsbbghhx2w.jpg

Duper

Practically Family
I have the Jaxonbilt Justified. It is a nice hat but if you get it as standard you will be disappointed, it's far from 100% accurate. Definitely worth asking if you can send a bunch of photos to work from because the quality is great, but you will need to be very specific about what you want. I also have the Knudsen Justified, which is just a Stetson reshaped. A little more accurate than the Jaxonbilt on first glance but nothing you couldn't do yourself with a bit of time and patience, plus the crown is too low and mine developed a serious taper after getting wet.

In terms of crown and brim measurements, I have burnt through a bunch of cheap used Stetsons experimenting and have concluded that the crown needs to be somewhere around 4 1/4" front and 5" center. Brim width all depends on the era you are going for. My current preference is seasons 2-4, which is a 3 1/4" brim, like this:

justified_olyphant.jpg

timothy_olyphant.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

Justified_620_010713.jpg

Season 5 (your first picture) I believe kept the same brim but season 6 (second picture) would be 3 1/2". Obviously shape plays a part in how it appears but it definitely grew on the last season.

As I think I've said before, the best result I've found is getting a stock Stetson 5X in ranch tan (I think the code is COWB-R), which you can easily pick up on Ebay for under $100 most of the time, and spend a bit of time trimming and reshaping to suit what you want. I was aiming for the style above and managed this quite easily:

rt1_zpsbbghhx2w.jpg
Great job on your tribute hat!

I miss the show just reading this thread.

Who else would come up with a title like "A Murder of Crowes". Thank-you Mr. Leonard for the hero, the villains and 78 much enjoyed episodes.

,,,Mike in Canada

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points