Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I can't dispute much of what the previous posters have said, but I might give it one more star than you guys. Primarily because I'm a Leonard fan first, and a Raylan fan second. I like the Detroit setting and think the show captures Leonard's style pretty well, something I think they got away from in the last couple of seasons of Justified. The writing still does a pretty good job of invoking Leonard, though. When I watch an Elmore Leonard adaptation, this quote from the man is pretty spot on (except I'm the reader, not the writer).

"My favorite character is Raylan. Timothy Olyphant's perfect because there are not many actors who have delivered the lines the way I heard them when I was writing them. George Clooney was close, and Tarantino was faithful. Richard Boone was in two movies of mine, and every word he said was the way I heard it when I wrote it. I think it's great."

I don't think anybody has ever nailed Leonard better than Tarantino did in "Jackie Brown," which was an adaptation of "Rum Punch." Watching that movie is like reading an Elmore Leonard novel.

Abba is right, that gun needs to come out of his holster more often. I know the'yre trying to portray him as older and "more thoughtful," but that takes away what makes his character interesting and fun. Plus, the affair is a bit unnecessary and weird.

RogerL

New in Town
Haha, those are absolutely fake. They stole all those pictures of the hat from Baron Hats website. You're not getting 100% Beaver for $55! hahaha.
Yeah - it’s a scam site. I wasn’t interested myself as I have a Baron hat but it looked too good to be true and it was.

Movie2099

New in Town
Well, I finally received my Baron RG hat a couple weeks ago. Have worn it a few times. It's a very nice hat. 100% beaver fur. You can definitely tell the difference between this hat and my Stetson Skyline 6x hat. I've been wearing mostly cowboy styled hats (Straw hat and Stetson) so getting the RG that is a little more flat in comparison, has really changed up the look. I think this hat was made perfectly for T.O. It definitely matches him perfectly. I've received some good compliments about how nice it is and such, but then a couple people say I look like I'm going on a safari. Though I'm wearing my Levi 501's and a pearl snap or Henley shirt or t-shirt with cowboy boots. But they think the style of the hat looks very early-mid 1900's Safari. Haha :D

Does RG look like he's going on a safari wearing this hat in the show?? hahaha I know not every hat is made for every head. So at worse, I now have a super nice 100% beaver fur hat that I can have reshaped into a more cowboy/rancher style. Maybe.....

David Manning

New in Town
It depends on the season. Some seasons it looks VERY safari hat. In others, mostly later seasons, it doesn’t.

It sounds like it comes shaped like earlier seasons just like my Stetson Marshall. For that hat, I trimmed the brim down to 3.25”, and because I hated the Safari look, I steamed and reshaped it so that, rather than the brim having a 360° downward slope, it comes out from the crown mostly flat then curves down in the front and back. The later seasons was shaped this way with a slight upward curve on the sides (but no downward 360° slope), and the current show is shaped this way with no slight upward curve on the sides.

Movie2099

New in Town
It depends on the season. Some seasons it looks VERY safari hat. In others, mostly later seasons, it doesn’t.

It sounds like it comes shaped like earlier seasons just like my Stetson Marshall. For that hat, I trimmed the brim down to 3.25”, and because I hated the Safari look, I steamed and reshaped it so that, rather than the brim having a 360° downward slope, it comes out from the crown mostly flat then curves down in the front and back. The later seasons was shaped this way with a slight upward curve on the sides (but no downward 360° slope), and the current show is shaped this way with no slight upward curve on the sides.
Do you have any pictures you could share of the hat? I can upload a couple as well.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Well, I finally received my Baron RG hat a couple weeks ago. Have worn it a few times. It's a very nice hat. 100% beaver fur. You can definitely tell the difference between this hat and my Stetson Skyline 6x hat. I've been wearing mostly cowboy styled hats (Straw hat and Stetson) so getting the RG that is a little more flat in comparison, has really changed up the look. I think this hat was made perfectly for T.O. It definitely matches him perfectly. I've received some good compliments about how nice it is and such, but then a couple people say I look like I'm going on a safari. Though I'm wearing my Levi 501's and a pearl snap or Henley shirt or t-shirt with cowboy boots. But they think the style of the hat looks very early-mid 1900's Safari. Haha :D

Does RG look like he's going on a safari wearing this hat in the show?? hahaha I know not every hat is made for every head. So at worse, I now have a super nice 100% beaver fur hat that I can have reshaped into a more cowboy/rancher style. Maybe.....
What….no pics of this Baron RG Beaver??
Really wanna see what you’re talking about. Lots of pics, inside and out.
B

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I will try and get some pics of the hat up this weekend.

Has everyone watched or will be watching the season finale of Justified: City Primeval?
I did. The best part was the very last scene when

So we know for sure

Look forward to seeing the beaver Baron.
Thanks
B

M Brown

A-List Customer
I don't know about the hat but I was sure he was gonna shoot that bad guy under the table in Ep 7...like he did in S1-E1 with the guy at the Miami roof top restaurant.

David Manning

New in Town
Pivoting from the conversation about the show’s quality for a second, I just had a short web chat with someone at Baron hats, and I have a few additional details to share.

- They did confirm that they made the new hat (confirmed earlier in this thread too).
- The hat has a 4 1/4” crown and a 3 1/8” brim width. They said the brim width is identical to the original hat (for some reason I thought it was 3 1/4” - but perhaps I remembered wrong). So the dimensions are identical.
- They made the new concho hat band in house. They have to double check their notes, but they’re fairly certain it’s a 1” wide band.
- While the new hat with new band are available for purchase, it’s not listed on their website - but they confirmed you can purchase it.

Bonus factoid: While you cannot (unfortunately) purchase the new hat band separately from them at this time, they did state that the band was chosen by Timothy Olyphant himself. They presented him with a few options, and the new band is the one he chose.

I know some folks didn’t care for the new band, but personally, I like it. It threw me at first but grew on me quite a bit over time. As concho bands go, it’s very understated. Some concho bands are a little to garish. I hope they do sell them separately in the future.

Movie2099

New in Town
Pivoting from the conversation about the show’s quality for a second, I just had a short web chat with someone at Baron hats, and I have a few additional details to share.

- They did confirm that they made the new hat (confirmed earlier in this thread too).
- The hat has a 4 1/4” crown and a 3 1/8” brim width. They said the brim width is identical to the original hat (for some reason I thought it was 3 1/4” - but perhaps I remembered wrong). So the dimensions are identical.
- They made the new concho hat band in house. They have to double check their notes, but they’re fairly certain it’s a 1” wide band.
- While the new hat with new band are available for purchase, it’s not listed on their website - but they confirmed you can purchase it.

Bonus factoid: While you cannot (unfortunately) purchase the new hat band separately from them at this time, they did state that the band was chosen by Timothy Olyphant himself. They presented him with a few options, and the new band is the one he chose.

I know some folks didn’t care for the new band, but personally, I like it. It threw me at first but grew on me quite a bit over time. As concho bands go, it’s very understated. Some concho bands are a little to garish. I hope they do sell them separately in the future.
Thank you for the update on the hat. I never did get a response from them regarding the dimensions, so thank you for providing that.

I too, was the same regarding the hat and the band. At first, I wasn't a huge fan, but by the end of the season it had grown on me. Though, the original hat/band will always be the best. :D

My guess is the cost of the hat is around what the current original hat is going for. Which is $1200ish. For full 100% beaver fur.

Movie2099

New in Town
I watched the last episode.
I liked the season… could have been better…but could have been worse.
What bothers me is Raylan's hat band.
Am I the only one that noticed it was tied on the wrong side in most scenes??

Bugged the hell out of me….
I thought City Primeval was ok. I rated it a 6/10. The entire story was predictable and now that they brought Boyd back and left the ending open, nobody really cares about what happened in Detroit. We all want to see RG go after Boyd! :D

If that happens....

jts103176

New in Town

I would take the 1 inch hat band height with a grain of salt. I've tried recreating the hat band and did 5/8" to start and it just looks too tall. I've since gone down to 1/2". The biggest issue is finding the same decorative rivets that are on the show hat. Close enoughs can be found, and I'd guess the size to be around 10 or 11 mm. I'm not sure I'd trust any of their other dimensions, other than the 4 1/4" for the crown.

I thought City Primeval was ok. I rated it a 6/10. The entire story was predictable and now that they brought Boyd back and left the ending open, nobody really cares about what happened in Detroit. We all want to see RG go after Boyd! :D

If that happens....

Not really. The ending was lame. Bringing back Boyd clearly tells me they're out of ideas.

They should have found another foil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy