Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kakadu 1903 Gunner Coat

Mr. Scratch

New in Town
I read some mixed reviews of this coat here, but thought I'd order one anyway as the price was right (less than $100 including shipping here: http://www.kakadutrader.com/longcoatindex.html ). I initially wanted the mustard, and as that was the only color option given, I didn't think there would be a problem. Unfortunately they had discontinued the mustard Gunner's Coat the day before I ordered.:( The only color available was tobacco. Okay, that would have been a close second choice anyway. [huh]

Shipping was super fast, arriving after only a couple of days. I was immediately pleased with it. It is made of a fairly light cotton canvas, with a nicely worn coloring. Love the big side chest pocket, and I approve of the leather edging of the sleeves. Also, Kakadu has apparently done away with the silly map of Australia liner in favor of a sepia-toned tribute to the Artillery (I guess those are the "gunners" they are refering to - in my infantry experience a "gunner" was the guy who manned the largest machinegun in the squad, and a trenchcoat would have been very appropriate for the job in the early 20th CE), though as mentioned elsewhere here, this coat is clearly patterned on the Brit Despatch Rider's coat. My only complaint is that there was a loose seam in the liner shoulder, which was remedied in 5 minutes w/ needle & thread. I got a chance to wear it out in a fairly heavy rain this weekend, and was the best dressed guy out there getting soaked. lol

I suppose it is a matter of taste, but if you aren't going to be out in oceanside storms with bucketfuls of rain coming down on you, I think this would be a very nice coat for most wet climates, and it looks good too IMO. True, it isn't built of rubberized tent-canvas like the original Despatch Coat, and I wouldn't choose it if I were expected to be aboard a fishing boat in January, but for run-of-the-mill purposes I think this coat does the job and with style.

358394455.jpg
358394459.jpg

358394463.jpg
358394475.jpg

Artigas

Familiar Face
Might I ask what size you ordered and how tall you are--with the end of understanding how long the coat is; namely, does it come just past your knees as it appears in the photos?

Many thanks.

ETA: I'm getting a very Rick Deckard vibe from this coat. Looks good on ya!

Mr. Scratch

New in Town
Artigas said:
Might I ask what size you ordered and how tall you are--with the end of understanding how long the coat is; namely, does it come just past your knees as it appears in the photos?!

I'm 6' and the coat is an XL. Since the double-breast is largely held in place by the belt (it has a single snap too, but you can ignore it as the belt does the job), it is pretty adjustable for chest size. It does come down below the knee.

ETA: I'm getting a very Rick Deckard vibe from this coat. Looks good on ya!

When I'm wearing the little visor cap in the 2nd to last photo, I often find myself in pre-Revolution Russia, formulating a secret plot to overthrow the Tsar. A very odd place for a semi-dedicated capitalist like myself. :)

Jerekson

One Too Many
Thanks for a truthful opinion on this coat...I've been contemplating it for a long time but have held back due to some mixed opinions. I think I'm sold now...

Can I ask what pants you are wearing?

Mr. Scratch

New in Town
Jerekson said:
Can I ask what pants you are wearing?

My favorite pants. Cotton herringbone from Eddie Bauer. Unfortunately they appear to have been discontinued, as I haven't been able to find them in their online catalog for years. I wish I'd known they were going away, I would have bought a dozen pair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany