Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping indigo jeans dark

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
...Edwin jeans, the vintage/selvedge models fade and wear beautifully and they're much cheaper than the Big Ls- if you can find them. Edwins are excellent, especially if you don't need L, or L branding. Superb denim.

B
T
You mean the jeans worn by Brad Pitt? Ha,just kidding,I used to see the Edwin Jeans ads with Pitt all the time on my trips to Japan.
I've held a few but never purchased although this may change on my next trip if I get a chance (and they're not too $$$). No, I don't need any branding...I just don't want any of that fancy embroidery that so many of the Japanese jeans seem to have over the back pockets. Any particular Edwin model that you like?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sefton said:
You mean the jeans worn by Brad Pitt? I just don't want any of that fancy embroidery that so many of the Japanese jeans seem to have over the back pockets.
Evisu denim is amazing too, but there's so much stuff happening on those back pockets!

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
The answer is prayer and morning mass.

I wash my jeans every evening on high heat and dry them for two hours but I also go to church every morning and god has rewarded me with a miracle by keeping my jeans dark and new.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
My Grandfather, who was an old cowboy, agreed with the theory of not washing your jeans. My Grandmother was not so keen on this practice, however.

So, if your Mrs. is like my Grandmother and won't let you not wash your jeans, my Mother got advise from another old cowboy whose jeans seemed to stay bluer than most. He advised that on the first wash of new jeans, to add a cup of salt to the water. He claimed that it interacted with the dye somehow and made it stay better. My Mother has had reasonable success with this practice.

grant

Familiar Face
Whatever you do, don't baby your repro stuff too much - in the end it is just repro denim. Here's a pair of my first LVC '47 501XX. Sure, they've been washed in cold water a half dozen times using mild detergent and never seen the inside of a dryer, but I've worn the hell out of them over the years, fell off my bike a couple times in them, worn them to work over the years and eventually worn a hole in one knee (patched up with denim from a pair of blown out overalls). To me, it's not how dark the denim stays in old work wear, it's the contrast you get in fading in areas due to honest wear and tear. By the way, these '47 LVC are over five years old and still going strong.
1947501xx.jpg

Lilibet

New in Town
I'm not sure that not washing them is a great idea -- the dye will rub off the jeans and onto whatever you are sitting on, thus ruining any light-colored upholstery.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
mackenzie said:
here is a site that sells edwin, for you that can't go to japanhttp://www.sivletto.com/

Stockholm has always had a big market for "vintage" denim.

I'm sure Edwins are available everywhere-definitely here in Sweden- they're available in London and Germany.
You just need to look for them- but beware, there are also fashion/ugly/Mall style jeans under the Edwin label.

From what I've owned and what I can see now, the model to get is the "Nashville", dry, red selvedge... but I think there are actually two cuts, one wider, looser fit- that's the one but I'll have to look for the model number.
The Edwins on the Sivletto site are the narrow ones.
They're reasonably priced, excellent quality Japanese selvedge denim, produced on narrow looms, same denim manufacturer as for the "Vintage" Lees.

Good.

B
T

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Benny Holiday said:
I tried the jacket on once with ym old faded 501s and it just didn't look right (to me, anyway). That's why I hope to maintain the dark colour as best I can, so they look good with the jacket. other than that, I could care less - I've always beaten, thrashed, worn and washed the daylights out of my jeans.

I understand.

Wash the jacket with the jeans. Like when you need to dry clean some pants that have a coat match, take them in together.

The clothes that pair together fade together? :eek:

LD

Cobblers

New in Town
Hi Folks,

If you want to keep them blue after the intial soakings etc... instead of using a washing machine, cold soak them in a bath, maybe use a bit of Vanish on the erm... sensitive areas and add salt to the cold water. Agitate a little and hang dry. I have no idea why one uses salt but it's worked for me and I have a pair of 37 201's that are 8 years old and are still deep indigo!

Maybe the salt was a superstition thing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR