Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Kids these days" threads...

Dixon's Dame

Familiar Face
I recently read a funny article on Dana Andrews and parenting, in an issue of "Modern Screen" magazine, 1951. David was his oldest son.

And Hollywood certainly hasn't affected David, who passes his days attired in a disreputable pair of levi trousers, a costume which irks the naturally neat Dana.
"What's the matter with levis?" David demands. "All the guys wear them."
"Do all the guys wear them so low that they look as though they're going to fall off?" Dana demands. "And what about your hair? There's a year's growth there. They do have a barber at school, don't they?"

Hee. Parental complaints haven't changed any that I can see over the last sixty years!

Paisley said:
I think part of the problem started in the 90s when people went on high-carb diets: lots of pasta and bread. They're made of grain. Grain is what you feed cattle when you want to fatten them up. Now many of the young adults of the 90s are fat 30-somethings who have fat kids. If you doubt that the kids' weight has anything to do with the parents, look at most dogs who belong to fat families: they're fat, too.

Obviously you didn't grow up around many Italian families in your area. They and many people of European descent eat lots of pasta bread and other high carbs. ;) :D

Regards,

J

Dixon's Dame said:
I recently read a funny article on Dana Andrews and parenting, in an issue of "Modern Screen" magazine, 1951. David was his oldest son.

And Hollywood certainly hasn't affected David, who passes his days attired in a disreputable pair of levi trousers, a costume which irks the naturally neat Dana.
"What's the matter with levis?" David demands. "All the guys wear them."
"Do all the guys wear them so low that they look as though they're going to fall off?" Dana demands. "And what about your hair? There's a year's growth there. They do have a barber at school, don't they?"

Hee. Parental complaints haven't changed any that I can see over the last sixty years!

I think their complaints have for sure. I only wish long hair and jeans was a major point of contention when faced with gang membership, promiscuity, violence against other people, thievery and host of other complaints being added to those now. :eek:

Regards,

J

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Obviously you didn't grow up around many Italian families in your area. They and many people of European descent eat lots of pasta bread and other high carbs. ;) :D

Regards,

J

You're right--I'm from the other end of Denver. But when I started working at an Italian restaurant, I bet I put on 10 or 15 pounds.

My best guy friend's parents were from Italy. He grew up on that kind of diet, but doesn't eat it now. He eats a lot of vegetables and tofu, and there's hardly an ounce of fat on him. And as some people have mentioned, there's a difference between a portion and a plateful--and people sit a lot more than they used to.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I really didn't spend a lot of time running around when I was a kid; there wasn't that much to do but read books. I think that what kept me thin was mostly that I didn't like my mom's cooking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou