Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kind of a weird question....

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
It's definitely some sort of strange...ache, almost.

When I try on old clothes or see architecture or hear the music, it's this very excited JUMP feeling inside and then suddenly it falls to a nostalgic ache. It's as if, for a split second, you were there and felt it and then suddenly you're cast back into the present. It's a yearning--good and bad...and totally weird. I'm glad other people get "it." You're definitely not alone.

Okay, maybe I should drop a story from my experience--visiting Gettysburg. Even having never been there, I knew where everything was (granted, I've fought the battle and come out with "decisive victory" outcomes for both sides in computer simulations), but actually seeing it for the first time, it just somehow didn't seem quite "right"--probably all the modern stuff like roads and lookouts inducing a kind of "cognitive dissonance", which I'd suspect to be part of what we're dealing with here.

Don't know if this anecdote really belongs here, but thought it and the associated thinking might help a little with starting to figure this effect out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart