Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kinda Free Natural Chromexcel Belt

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Hey guys, here's the belt I made for @Guppy (pic below text). In regards to the cost breakdown, it is as follows:

1) 9oz "natural" Chromexcel strap - $17.24 + tax and shipping

2) Solid brass Japanese square belt buckle - $14.99 + tax and shipping

3) Two brass Chicago screws - Maybe a dollar, but probably less

4) Cosmetic grade beeswax for burnishing - maybe a dime's worth

So let's just say $40. All told, from start to finish the belt took me a little less than one hour to make. Considering that the average online price for an incredibly basic 9oz Chromexcel belt is $115 or so (I did a quick search to determine that number, but in that quick search I found an extremely basic "natural" Chromexcel belt going for $190 + $6.78 shipping that I didn't include in my average). Long story short, I didn't do $75 worth of labor to make @Guppy his belt, so I guess my point is that the market for heritage leather products is very similar to that of wrist watches or vintage cars, which is to say absolutely batshit insane. To say the least, money is time-consuming to earn (unless you sell belts), so hopefully this gives us all pause before we pay someone lawyer-level fees to punch several holes in a strip of leather.

View attachment 505781

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your weekend and have a great Easter!

I'm looking forward to enjoying the belt. It's certainly going to be one of the better values in my closet, that's for sure.

I know that businesses have other expenses to consider: advertising, taxes, insurance, and all kinds of other things. So it's not surprising that a hobbyist/craftsman can undercut what a company can charge. It does help to know what something costs to know what the value proposition of buying it is.

I've owned a lot of cheap belts, and they've held up decently and served well for the time that I had them. I never thought all that much about them. Most of the ones I owned were decent quality, especially for the price, and were made out of a single piece of real leather, probably produced with great economies of scale by a large factory employing dirt cheap labor. But they weren't total junk; they held up for years of daily wear, and didn't split on me or fail. I mostly changed them out due to my waist size changing or because of my style preference changing, not because it wore out or failed.

Then About 12 years ago, a small business opened up a block from my house that made custom gun holsters and they also happened to sell leather belts. I bought one, and it was amazing. A good 1/4" thick solid strap, 1.5 inch wide, stiff as heck, but broke in quick and was my daily wear for a good 8-9 years, every single day. Sadly the shop went out of business a few years ago.

In the last 4-5 years I've bought a bunch of different belts, because I'm spoiled frankly, not because I needed another belt, but because I wanted to re-experience that break-in process with other super thick belts, just in different colors than black.

My best quality belts, without question, are Dal-Tech Bull Belts and Hanks Belts.

Dal-Tech belts are generally under $45-55 and up, although they have some exotics that are quite a bit more than that. They will last you for life, and then some. The leather they use is something like 17-19oz. thickness -- a quarter of an inch thick.

Hanks are $70-140, depending on the model and the material, and aren't any thicker or sturdier, but they're just as well made and they have a few different styles that Dal-Tech doesn't. They top out at 17oz, as well. It's certainly overkill unless you're wearing it as a utility or duty belt. 8-9oz leather is plenty sturdy enough for holding up your pants.

Hanks boast a 100 year warranty, which I don't expect to ever need, but they proudly stand behind their product. Both Dal-Tech and Hanks are made in the USA.

I don't know the tannage of the leather they use, and for the most part I don't care. It doesn't matter, other than to satisfy curiosity. They're plenty sturdy, and they look nice. They do everything I need a belt to do, except maybe go with a business suit or tuxedo.

Now, If I want a natural CXL or Color #8 CXL belt to go with a particular pair of shoes/boots, or jacket, they're not going to have that, and I'll be willing to pay the going rate. On the other hand, if I don't need to pay more to get something particular like that, why would I? So I was really happy to jump on @Maxwell Von Chesapeake's mighty generous offer when I saw it.

I'm sure with some brands you're paying more for the name. I find that the value and quality of Dal-Tech products especially to be excellent.

Other makers I've looked at: Nicks Boots, Langlitz, Vanson... they're purely making money with accessories that match exactly with the material that they make their main product out of, and they seem to pad a good profit margin into them for that reason. If you want to spend $800 on a pair of boots, or $1200 on a leather jacket, and you want a belt to match it, where else are you going to go?

I guess if I could make top belts all day for $40 and sell them for $100+, I probably would. It seems like it'd be a pretty good business to get into with that kind of margin. It doesn't seem like you'd need a lot of tooling to get set up, a small basement workshop, relatively cheap web hosting and advertising budget, a little bit of advertising, and you could have a nice little side hustle.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I’ll take one next time you’re feeling flush :D

Edit because I forgot emojis are limited here lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner