Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

King Kong:reviews

Feraud

Bartender
Mr. Rover said:
Another world war should do the trick...
lol lol

HadleyH said:
I wonder the same thing myself. And also I would like to know what is it with all the remakes of old movies and old TV shows? Why do they have to do that? Have they run out of ideas these people?
I have to agree with you anselmo1: The creative juices no longer flow.
The lack of creativity is due to the small minded producers who hedge their bets on a "sure thing" that is easy to sell to investors.

I used to hate remakes but have changed my mind about them. A remake will usually bring the original film to dvd! This is, as Martha Stewart would say, "A good thing". :)
Remakes take nothing away from an original and can possibly inspire a few people to seek out the classic film that inspired it.

The best thing about the recent King Kong was the release of the '33 Kong on dvd!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
lol lol

The lack of creativity is due to the small minded producers who hedge their bets on a "sure thing" that is easy to sell to investors.

I used to hate remakes but have changed my mind about them. A remake will usually bring the original film to dvd! This is, as Martha Stewart would say, "A good thing". :)
Remakes take nothing away from an original and can possibly inspire a few people to seek out the classic film that inspired it.

The best thing about the recent King Kong was the release of the '33 Kong on dvd!

Yes...but Feraud, think of it, what will they resurrect next? Gone With The Wind :eek: and even worse, who are they going to cast in place of Clark Gable, Russell Crowe? :eek: :eek: Little is sacred anymore lol
But if as you say that is the price we have to pay to have all the "originals"DVDs with us, well... then everything is OK with me. :)

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I thought the visual effects in this were ridiculously inconsistent, almost laughable at some points. I ruined this movie for a couple of people.

I loved Peter Jackson's previous work though. It struck me as hard to believe that he would release this after having released work that was so consistently good like Heavenly Creatures or LotR.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
I wonder the same thing myself. And also I would like to know what is it with all the remakes of old movies and old TV shows? Why do they have to do that? Have they run out of ideas these people?
I have to agree with you anselmo1: The creative juices no longer flow.

Yes, I believe it is that people have run out of their own ideas. There is a complete lack of creativity. I also think they might be lazy. Why think of their own ideas when they can steal somebody else's?

In an earlier post, someone mentioned that they thought the new version of "King Kong" was atrocious. I couldn't agree more. It is horrible, un-watchable, laughably bad. The special effects are so over the top. And what on earth is the deal with those dinosaurs??!!!!

There are few modern day movies that are completely of their own accord, without any hints of previous films in them. New movies lack creativity. Instead of focusing on a story line or a theme, people in the movie industry are wrapped up in the visual. I think that a movie must be visually pleasing, but it has to have a good story to follow as well.

One movie that I must say was both a wonderful story and visually pleasing was the last Harry Potter movie. I just loved this film. It was very well done, IMO. I just think that it is sad that movie studios in competition with one another are trying to out do each other with over the top visual effects, instead of good story lines and good acting. A movie must be pretty to look at, but more important is a good actor telling a good story that will make me think for hours after I watch it. A new movie hasn't done that for me in a long time. Although, I hear that Will Smith's new movie "The Pursuit of Happiness" is supposed to have these qualities. But, being that new releases have been so disinteresting to me, I've given up going to them, so I will have to wait for this one to come out on DVD.

I just wish that the story lines were better, more creative, and that the actors telling them had the quality of a Clark Gable or Carey Grant.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There's almost nothing that hasn't been done before. We simply see a director or producer's slant on a familiar subject. Sometimes their version is impactful and other times it is weak.

As a young fan of the old time horror movies and sci-fi genre The old Dracula and Frankenstein, Day the Earth Stood Still, King Kong and all, hold a formative influence on me by which I judge all newer films. I like the old B grade sci-fi flicks with cheeezy effects as they were the foundation of the new stuff like Star Wars with top notch special effects. Even some of the new B grade sci-fi flicks have their moments.

I can no longer stand "horror" movies like Chainsaw Massacre, Pumpkinhead, or Saw and the like. They just don't do it for me at all anymore since they seem to be simply shock effect flicks.

The movie Van Helsing to me was a real old fashioned horror/monster movie. It was done so well in reagrd to keeping true to the original 1930s concepts aided by computer graphics that there was no need for "modern" blood and gore.

Substituting shock effects for good writing falls short in my book.

Aliens taking over, innercity youth turmoil, hilarious vacation stories or tumultuous personal relationships on board a boat bound for Shanghai have all been done before. EVERYTHING'S been done before! Whether it is a straight out remake using the same title or a copy of the story line there is nothing truly new simply different people's interptetations of tried and true themes and formulas.

Our impressions are imbedded from our youth and movies we saw. We compare newer stuff whether we realize it or not. If the Star Wars saga was a yardstick for that genre most others would not measure up. We can choose to be disappointed with later, similar films or we can choose to be entertained to some extent.

No, no one can measure up to Crawford, Bogart or Grant but the vast majority of people living today did not see most of their work. When a group creates a similar style film we all poo poo it but it is new to most people. While Lugosi was a fearsome character in the 30s who carved out his place forever that doesn't mean that modern writers and production compaines don't have an interesting slant on the vampire genre flicks.

I see the whole film industry as changing with the times anyhow. The VHS and DVD industry has changed that forever. The movie theater experience will never be as it was and nothing else will be either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot