Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

knickers anyone?

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Great images

Mike1973 said:
Any excuse....

Farehamride024.jpg

Thes are my cycling plusses and I love them to bits! They come out several times a year on old bike runs.

knickerbockersuit009.jpg

This suit was bought at a cycle jumble but I don't think it is cycling suit... no re-enforcing patch on the seat. Had it a few years now and still not found an excuse to wear it out in public...:eusa_doh:

(Note to self - Must polish those shoes...)

Love the pics.. a man after my own heart!!!

SFSEAN

New in Town
Knickers

I was a volunteer at the US Open at Pebble Beach and we wore knickers in gold and red (49er colors) I have a picture of myself in them somwhere. I have to admit, they were comfortable and when I walked around the course, I didn't worry about tracking mud on my trousers or the cuffs.

ChazVanEyck

New in Town
While watching Cabaret, I noticed one of the characters, while walking with his bike, wore a pair of trousers similar to knickers, but were much longer. They were about ankle length and not as baggy. Was this a different style of pants? Or just a variation on plus fours?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Own three pairs of knickerbockers from the 20's to the 30's. Love them!!!

I recently wore my light tan wool herringbone pair with my black Princeton football sweater with the orange letter P on it... with black socks, brown shoes and a light colored herringbone 30's news boy cap... also, an authentic Bison fur coat from the 30's... I looked so Collegiate! I wore that outfit to the Avalon Ball... I never had so many positive complements on my outfit in all my life from islanders of Avalon Catalina! It was a riot!!!

I never need a reason to wear knickerbockers, I'll wear them whenever I have the desire... people always look twice when I do... hahaha! It's fun!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
ChazVanEyck said:
While watching Cabaret, I noticed one of the characters, while walking with his bike, wore a pair of trousers similar to knickers, but were much longer. They were about ankle length and not as baggy. Was this a different style of pants? Or just a variation on plus fours?

Probably just the costume department tucking the hem to a pair of trousers into the socks... that will give a "Knickerbockers" look which is easier then finding real knickers... costume departments in the film industry are notorious for doing little tricks like that figuring that no one really will notice.... so not true! WE DO NOTICE HOLLYWOOD... GET SMART! lol

On the flip side, I have seen some European vintage knickerbockers from Germany that were rather long... not that long and not that skimpy. They were rather full in cut.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
These were former Lands End dress pants cut off and made into knickers. Elastic in the cuffs works fine.

3speedtour20070519002.jpg

Recently in a thrift store I found a very well made pair of Austrian knickers for winter sports. These will replace my rather ordinary Woolrich pair.

ChazVanEyck

New in Town
nobodyspecial said:
These were former Lands End dress pants cut off and made into knickers. Elastic in the cuffs works fine.

3speedtour20070519002.jpg

Recently in a thrift store I found a very well made pair of Austrian knickers for winter sports. These will replace my rather ordinary Woolrich pair.

nobodyspecial, if you don't mind, would you care to elaborate on how you altered your pants to make them knickers? I'm sure some of us who cannot get our hands on a genuine pair, would appreciate a tip or two!!! :)

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I actually wore a pair of knickers during my last year in High School! That was 1972! I wore them with a great pair of WWI style lace-up boots. I was stylin' at age 17.

-dixon cannon

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
SFSEAN said:
I was a volunteer at the US Open at Pebble Beach and we wore knickers in gold and red (49er colors) I have a picture of myself in them somwhere. I have to admit, they were comfortable and when I walked around the course, I didn't worry about tracking mud on my trousers or the cuffs.

I had a pair that I picked up at REI for mountain climbing. They offered outstanding range of motion for your legs, and after shredding a pair of gore-tex pants with my crampons, the knickers were out of the way from those pointy little devils! Thank goodness for duct tape (the handyman's secret weapon!)

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I took the idea of making knickers from the Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour page. http://www.3speedtour.com/ On the menu on the left click on "dress code," then scroll down that page and there is a description of how to proceed.

We began with the method described on that page, then SWMBO took over and did it her way as she does not like following directions from others. Basically it involves deciding upon the length you want them to be, cutting the pants off a bit longer than that (2 inches +/-) so you have material to turn over for a casing, feeding elastic through the casing, stitch the elastic together and stitch the casing shut. Not very intricate sewing, just a bit of busy work. Getting the length right is the trickiest part, I'd go a touch longer on my pair if I had to do it over.

The knickers worked very well for biking. As the biking season gets cooler I will be using them again. These particular trousers were lined to the knee making them that much more comfortable and wind resistant. The worsted wool is quite wind resistant on its own. Plus, you look good when you get off the bike and head to a coffee shop.

lonestarcasie

New in Town
Mike1973 said:
Interesting website, cheers for sharing it!

Seeing this thread bumped back up reminded me to post this pic of Walt Disney and fellow artists, from 'The Art of Walt Disney'....

plusses016.jpg

My goodness, Walt Disney was dashing wasn't he?

cowboy76

Suspended
Aw guys this is a great thread!!

I know of two pairs of original late 30s knickers sitting in tupperware container at a friend's vintage shop,...I have to head towards their today anyway,....maybe I'll pick them up if the size is right??!!

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Of all the...

...styles of the Golden Era, knicker have made the worst passage in time.

I like them, but they seem only marginally wearable on the golf course.

Shame, it would be great if they came back in a big way.

cowboy76

Suspended
Would anyone be interested in a pair of blue-grey tweed (wool?) knickers,..size 40-42 waist? I took a look at them today and realized, wow now these i wont be able to take in for myself!! Look to date back to the mid 1930s?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy