Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knit Ties

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
The ties are woven and finished at the mill. Some branding labels are applied at the mill and some are applied down the distribution chain.

Very interesting. So in that sense, it's very much like the arrangements where companies like Samuelsohn, Southwick, Martin Greenfield, Belvest, etc. manufacture garments for various brands/stores/designers/etc, yes?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Very interesting. So in that sense, it's very much like the arrangements where companies like Samuelsohn, Southwick, Martin Greenfield, Belvest, etc. manufacture garments for various brands/stores/designers/etc, yes?
Yes, similar, the difference being that these mills do not market any of the ties they produce under their own name as do the ones you mentioned. Though Greenfield would be closer since he really doesn't have a RTW line per se, just the MTM business. IIRC

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I wear knit ties pretty frequently. Two of them are 2.5" wide, red and tan. The other three are wider, 3", 3.25", and 3.5", being navy and two yellows, respectively. They're all flat bottomed, and I don't think any of them are that old, most likely 1960s and '70s knits, based on my attempts of dating the labels. They are also just the right lengths that I prefer; between 52 to 54 inches long. I have bought all of them on eBay, and I'm pretty sure none of them are silk, but just wool. Does anybody make wool knit ties anymore? I only ever read about silk ones, on the various clothing forums.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Sure, they're out there. To my thinking, a strictly casual tie; even with a pointy end.

Maybe that's so, but I do still wear knit ties with my two suits, and sports jackets. Are silk knit ties supposed to be any more formal than wool or cotton ones, too?

Thanks. I especially like the looks of the second gold colored one, although I didn't see the length described anywhere there. The tie width is 3.3", and I like the wider knit ties too. This one is also pointed, rather than square, which seems to be a rarity.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Are silk knit ties supposed to be any more formal than wool or cotton ones.
IMO, the pointy-end silk knits have just enough shininess and refinement that allows them to slip into the category of 'dress'.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Sure, they're out there. To my thinking, a strictly casual tie; even with a pointy end.

Most fall/winter season Brooks Brothers does some. No one buys them at my local store, so I just wait until they are on clearance and buy them up. I love knit ties!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
They're not my particular favorites....a bit too conservative-looking for my taste...but I can't resist buying them if I see one in a thrift store.

good4_zpsa05c1480.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Brooks Brothers does some.
Speaking of Brooks Brothers.....I was perusing their tie selection at their Chicago store (Boul Mich) in the early 90s when I was approached by an employee who asked if I needed any assistance. I asked him if they had any silk knit ties. He proceeded to direct me to a batch of woven ties. I said that the wovens were nice but that I was looking for silk knits; the ones with the square ends.

He said he had no idea what type of tie I was talking about. He stood pointing at the wovens, saying that they were the only knit ties they carried. It was apparent that he didn't know anything about ties so I politely asked if I could speak to the manager.

He said, "I AM the manager."

I turned around and began to leave when a employee at the accessories counter said that he could show me the silk knits that were kept behind the counter.

I smiled, pointed at the manager, and as I left said, " Show them to him."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt