Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knit Ties

TSP13

Familiar Face
Does anyone wear a knit tie every now and then? One of my friends wears one almost everyday. I wasn't sure about the look at first, but it is starting to grow on me. It sure does make you stand out. Is there a specific time of the year to wear them? I know they were popular in the 1920's, but is there any sort of code on them?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I wear them year around. Personally, I wear pointed end knits with suits and square end knits with sport jackets. Certainly not a rule as I've seen many well dressed gents wear square end with suits; Ian Flemming's Bond for one.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I personally lover knit ties and wear them with suits or odd jackets irrespective of season. While many people associate knit neck wear with the 60s and 70s, they actually been around since at least the 1920s:

1920%2527sSkinnyKnitTiePhoto%2526Pattern.jpg

vintage-mugshots-black-and-white-22.jpg

Cary Grant was a fan of knit ties too:

Cary-Grant-knit-tie.jpg

And Sean Connery's Bond always wore at least one knit tie per movie in homage to Flemming's original description (in the novels, I believe Bond is described as almost always wearing a black knit ite):

blackknit2.jpeg

Gf_silkblackknittie2.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've been wearing them almost everyday, plain navy, royal blue, or gray with dark Brooks Brothers suits. I wear them with modern dress shirts, french cuffs, and 60s influenced suits. It's a great look.

You just need to be careful to untie them and not pull them off because they will elongate otherwise. And if you have rough hands as I do, you have to be careful all around.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The pointed ones seems to be rather rare. I think I have only ever had one (black silk made in Italy) that fell to pieces many years ago. Someone once told me (and I'm not sure how true it is) that only the Italians made pointed end knitted ties.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
The pointed ones seems to be rather rare. I think I have only ever had one (black silk made in Italy) that fell to pieces many years ago. Someone once told me (and I'm not sure how true it is) that only the Italians made pointed end knitted ties.

Grenadine ties are usually pointed rather than square bottomed. I'm not sure where the Italian connection fits in. J. Press and Drake's of London are the two makers most associated with that style.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The world supply of silk knit ties comes from just a couple of mills in Italy. All the branded silk knits you see (Charvet, Marinella, Rubinacci, Tirnbull & Asser, etc...) come from the same makers.

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
The world supply of silk knit ties comes from just a couple of mills in Italy. All the branded silk knits you see (Charvet, Marinella, Rubinacci, Tirnbull & Asser, etc...) come from the same makers.

Interesting. So, is it just the weaving which is done in Italy or the actual assembling of the ties too?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Interesting. So, is it just the weaving which is done in Italy or the actual assembling of the ties too?
The ties are woven and finished at the mill. Some branding labels are applied at the mill and some are applied down the distribution chain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24