Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knitters, check this out!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
AllaboutEve said:
I love your avatar Miss Dottie, it's great!
That sweater looks gorgeous and what a luxurious choice of yarn, I love the colour too. How far have you got?
Is it from the Summer issue?

We must all post pics of our finished knitted things when they are done, it would help speed us along too:) Does anyone else here use Bamboo needles they have changed my life....so light and lovely!!

I have too many projects I want to do now, I need to finish my Jaegar Cardigan, and then knit the Gatsby Girl and inbetween I am starting a lace weight shawl for my best friend as a Christmas gift.

I think I am obsessed.......:D

You are very kind! We will certainly have to check out each others work when we finish them!

I found the Remembering Honey pattern from the Spring 2003 issue of Interweave Knits. I had to specially order it off the Website, but I knew I had to make that sweater. So far so good...

Love Bamboo and Addi turbos. I love them all! I also love the SwallowTail Casein ones too.

Do you ever search for vintage bakelite knitting accessories? It is my favorite eBay obession!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Glaistig said:
I adore bamboo needles over any other needle, even (especially?) Addis. I find that bamboo needles have just the perfect amount of friction.

Take a look at this cute free 1930s Three Hour Sweater pattern. I love the booklet language: "Fascinating! And most popular. Three hours of knitting and presto —you have a smart garment your friends are sure to admire." Three hours, huh? :) :rolleyes:

Great link Glaistig, thanks. It doesn't seem to have a bust size stated I think a vintage size 16 is about a 36" bust?
I think it would probably be more likely to take me three months than three hours!!:eek:

I often wish that I could stop time to knit and then start it again when I have finished that all important sleeve or border.

Addi Bamboos are just the best aren't they! Compared to other bamboo needles they are so well finished and glossy, your yarn just flys over them.
I am about to invest in some Addi Turbo circular needles that I am lead to believe are the greatest circular needles. They are not bamboo but are supposed to be quite brilliant. Has anyone else tried them?

I am biting my fingernails down to the quick today as I am waiting for a Shetland Wool shade card to come through the post tomorrow! Me! :) addicted! Never!!!!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Miss Dottie said:
You are very kind! We will certainly have to check out each others work when we finish them!

I found the Remembering Honey pattern from the Spring 2003 issue of Interweave Knits. I had to specially order it off the Website, but I knew I had to make that sweater. So far so good...

Love Bamboo and Addi turbos. I love them all! I also love the SwallowTail Casein ones too.

Do you ever search for vintage bakelite knitting accessories? It is my favorite eBay obession!

I just noticed that you have used Addi turbos!! Are they as good as folk say they are?

I've never heard of SwallowTail needles before, where do you buy those from.......oooh I am so excited more knitting things that I haven't got yet.

I have every intention of heading off to look for the bakelite accessories as soon as I get a chance they sound fascinating.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
AllaboutEve said:
I just noticed that you have used Addi turbos!! Are they as good as folk say they are?

I've never heard of SwallowTail needles before, where do you buy those from.......oooh I am so excited more knitting things that I haven't got yet.

I have every intention of heading off to look for the bakelite accessories as soon as I get a chance they sound fascinating.

I really like the Addi Turbos because they have nice smooth joins, so the yarn moves smoothly across. And they are very slick, which I like. the Addi Turbo bamboo needles are wonderful too.

I've been having a tough time finding the Swallow Casein needles--they have this wonderful tortoise shell look about them and are very warm to the touch. I think they sell them at www.worldknit.com. I like them a lot for any DPN stuff.

Always nice to meet another vintage knitter :)

Glaistig

New in Town
AllaboutEve said:
Addi Bamboos are just the best aren't they! Compared to other bamboo needles they are so well finished and glossy, your yarn just flys over them.
I am about to invest in some Addi Turbo circular needles that I am lead to believe are the greatest circular needles. They are not bamboo but are supposed to be quite brilliant. Has anyone else tried them?

Actually, I've never tried the Addi bamboos, only the Addi turbos. (For bamboo, I've mainly used Clover and Crystal Palace). The turbos are super fast. My two problems, though, are (1) because they are so slick, I have to get a firm grasp on the needles or my stitches will slip off and (2) the ends aren't as pointy as I'd like sometimes. I'll have to give the Addis bamboos a whirl!

It's kind of neat how those casein needles that Miss Dottie linked are made from natural byproducts and are biodegradable.
There are are some great quality vintage-inspired knitting tools out there, like this Clover cutter.

marquise

Familiar Face
... Speaking of the 3-hour sweater pattern; I'd coerced my mum last year nto knitting it, and it turned out nice, if a bit big--
49069009_f3a57afdb7.jpg

... Being that she hadn't knitted sweaters for 20-odd years (my baby-sweaters!) it took about a week of sporadic knitting, rather than 3 hours.
She's in the process of making another in smaller wool for Autumn. So nice to get a care package with a little sweater love inside. :eek:

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
marquise said:
... Speaking of the 3-hour sweater pattern; I'd coerced my mum last year nto knitting it, and it turned out nice, if a bit big--
49069009_f3a57afdb7.jpg

... Being that she hadn't knitted sweaters for 20-odd years (my baby-sweaters!) it took about a week of sporadic knitting, rather than 3 hours.
She's in the process of making another in smaller wool for Autumn. So nice to get a care package with a little sweater love inside. :eek:

That's just beautiful Marquise, you are so lucky having a mum that knits. The yoke part it sooooo pretty.You look perfectly elegant! Great colour choice. Any chance you could ask your Ma what yarn she used????

Oh no now I have project 5 on my waiting list!!!lol

Glaistig

New in Town
Marquise, you look gorgeous!! Wow, thanks so much for posting the picture of your Mom's completed 3-Hour Sweater. I think I am definitely going to give it a try now.

Yes, do tell on the two yarns, if you can :)

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
AllaboutEve said:
That's just beautiful Marquise, you are so lucky having a mum that knits. The yoke part it sooooo pretty.You look perfectly elegant! Great colour choice. Any chance you could ask your Ma what yarn she used????

Oh no now I have project 5 on my waiting list!!!lol

Marquise that is stunning and I'm still impressed that it took your mother a week to knit it! I love the yoke too.

Caledonia

Practically Family
AllaboutEve said:
I know what you mean Caledonia, I have really struggled to substitute yarn in vintage patterns. If you are interested this is a good modern vintage inspired pattern that I am knitting at the moment it's the fourth one down called Lottie, I'm working it in Peacock/Teal green and I have left off the front pockets. I have the Right Front and the sleeves to do and then I will try and post a pic of the finished item.http://www.englishyarns.co.uk/jaeger_jb40.html

My next project in line is a gorgeous new vintage design in this seasons copy of Interweave Knits magazine (you can get this as an import from the U.S at Borders) it's a design called The Gatsby Girl pullover and is just LOVELY. It's also knitted in Rowan Cashsoft DK which means you don't have to worry about yarn substitution and there is a great range of colours to choose from. It has a picot bottom hem then a corset inspired middle section of ribbed cable and 3/4 length sleeves. The most lovely thing about it is that it has a row of little buttons across the top of the shoulder. I am not at my computer at the moment I am at my "in-laws" or I would post a picture of it. I will put one up as soon as I can.

Have you ever picked up any of the Vogue knitting magazines? The ones from the 40's and 50's are stuffed with great patterns.
Sorry I'm ranting now aren't I.....anything to do with knitting and I'm off!!!lol

I certainly have picked up a few Vogues: 48 to 54. I can't believe the things you can knit if you've got the time! So many of them look like fabric rather than hand knitting. I've also got a few from 45 back to about 34 I think, including an amazing mid-30s crochet one. And of course a load of typical sew, knit, and crochet home made hats, bags, gloves, slippers, sandals, etc. Including, a knittable fedora or two, and the most adorable 30s crepe paper crochet hat complete with the crepe paper and original twister - but I think I'll need to use modern crepe. The original is getting a bit fragile!

And Marquise, I agree, both you and the sweater are stunning. I love the larger look to it. Relaxed and 30s sporty!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
More Knitting things

I just wanted to check that all you knitting Powder Room ladies have all heard of http://www.yesterknits.com/I'm sure that most of you will have, but just in case....

Just got my Shetland Wool shade card today from Jamieson and Smith and there are some really good lace weight 2 ply yarns and some great 4 ply all that look like they could do a good job substituting on some of the old fashioned 2ply/3ply patterns. Loads of lovely colours and it's all 100% pure Shetland wool.
This is the website incase anyone is interested http://www.shetland-wool-brokers.zetnet.co.uk/cobweb.htm.

I am on meltdown now with so many things that I want to make........:eusa_doh:

Caledonia: I love the sound of your 30's crepe crochet hat pattern, I never even heard of one of those before. Sounds like you have some really interesting stuff.

Thanks for the info on the Addi Turbos Glaistig and MissDottie. I have concerns that they may be a bit chunky for my lace shawl project, and that the tips may not be sharp enough. I definitely don't want anything too slippery!
I think I will have a look around at some alternatives.

Glaistig

New in Town
AllaboutEve, I love to look at the patterns on yesterdayknits. They have a mindboggling variety of patterns! Have you ever ordered from them? Do you know if their service is good?

Ooh, the Shetland Wool colors look lovely! I too am on a TOTAL knitting meltdown. I made a list of all the things I want to knit and feel a little overwhelmed.

Of course, going to the Iva Rose website and seeing this vintage bathing suit from 1933 doesn't help! (I've never ordered from her but am considering it.)

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I was so inspired...

I was so inspired by this thread that I took up needles and started the 3 hour sweater. I'm doing it in worsted weight and it appears to be on target. Not doable (ok, not doable by me) in 3 hours, but definitely coming right along. I've just about got the back finished!

Honey Doll

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Glaistig said:
AllaboutEve, I love to look at the patterns on yesterdayknits. They have a mindboggling variety of patterns! Have you ever ordered from them? Do you know if their service is good?

Ooh, the Shetland Wool colors look lovely! I too am on a TOTAL knitting meltdown. I made a list of all the things I want to knit and feel a little overwhelmed.

Of course, going to the Iva Rose website and seeing this vintage bathing suit from 1933 doesn't help! (I've never ordered from her but am considering it.)

Hi Glaistig, I LOVE yesterknits site, no I haven't ordered from them before but I am lining up a fairisle shortsleeve sweater I think!!! They have a very good reputation and I have just read today in my knitting mag that they supply pattern notes to explain any terminology that may have changed with each pattern you order.

I have not put my Shetland shade card down yet I am just drooling over the colours, I can't decide on which to go for! I'll let you know how it knits up once I start if you like. (Still finishing my Jaegar cardigan at the moment but the Shetland lace is next on the list!)

Dare you to post all the items on your knitting project list and I'll show you mine!lol I bet they are as long and varied as each other.

The bad news is that I just found ANOTHER real beauty today in Vogue Knitting Fall issue. Check out this one...... I LOVE the colour, but maybe with short sleeves? What do you think?

DSCF0352.jpg

Oh Honeydoll I'm so pleased you were inspired and I'd love to see your 3 hour sweater, what colour and yarn brand are you using?

Viviene

Vendor
Alas I do not knit but I recently picked up a 1946 learn to crochet book from Clark's J&P COats which includes directions for the left handed (which I am). I've been crocheting for years and I can't wait to work on these patterns. There are hats, bags, cardigans, hoods and gloves in this book. When I knit I drop stitches like crazy and everything looks like there are a bunch of button holes in it.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Viviene said:
Alas I do not knit but I recently picked up a 1946 learn to crochet book from Clark's J&P COats which includes directions for the left handed (which I am). I've been crocheting for years and I can't wait to work on these patterns. There are hats, bags, cardigans, hoods and gloves in this book. When I knit I drop stitches like crazy and everything looks like there are a bunch of button holes in it.

Crochet is great too, I crochet inbetween knitting. You can get some really pretty effects and some great edgings too. I learned to crochet a about 5 years back and it was from there that I dared to venture into some serious knitting. I know what you mean about dropped stitches! However once you understand how it all goes you can use your crochet skills (and hooks!) to pick up dropped knitting stitches.........:) Honest!
I have some lovely pattern books from the 50's in crochet and there is nothing quite like a granny square cushion to work on!
I think that this should be a knitting AND crochet thread, I'd love to see anything that you make.:)

Glaistig

New in Town
Yay, Honey Doll, I can't wait to see your 3 Hour Sweater! (There's something so appealing about a beautiful sweater pattern that fits on 1 page :D )

AllaboutEve, that is quite a lovely Vogue pattern. The stitch pattern looks enticingly cable-y but I am guessing it's one of those ingenious fake cable stitches (?) I think short sleeves would fit perfectly. The sleeves seem to have a slight "puff" look that I adore. What Jaeger cardigan are you working on? (Maybe you posted it earlier -- I'll go back and look.)

I am reviewing & revising my knitting "to do" list. Currently, I've thinking about trying to do a "Jazz Baby" 1920s-inspired Wardrobe that would include this Erte Cloche pattern and the old fashioned looking knickers (called "Witches Britches"!) from the new Knit 2 Together book. I'll also be doing the Ganomy hat (scroll down) for the Zimmermania KAL since I think (surprisingly) it actually has a classic flapper look. (Shh! Don't tell the gentleman wearing it in the KAL picture ;) )

I bought this vintage knitting book a couple of weeks ago and am thinking about knitting the ladies' thigh high socks/stockings (lower left corner) for the winter cold. And the new Romantic Style book has the most gorgeous vintage inspired robe with a long train.

Viviene, I'm all for seeing crochet patterns! I have only the most basic of crochet skills and I would love to see your creations.

Lovely Patterns!

I am, however in no short supply of vintage patterns. My mother has stacks of vintage 30's 40's patterns that belonged to my Great-Grandmother and Grandmother. She is soposed to mail them to me eventually. She just hates parting with them. She doesn't knit or crochet but loves the pictures.
I do have in my posession a HC book called Complete Guide to Modern Knitting and Crocheting by Alice Carroll. It is from 1942 and had tons of patterns. I have in the past also seen it on ebay and it doesn't go too high. It's a great way to get a lot of patterns at once for not a lot of money. It has several sweaters I have been dying to try but I have other projects to complete first.
Here are two of my favorites:
sweater2.jpg

sweater1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran