Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(KNIVES) Let's see some sharp pointy objects

John Galt

Vendor
Couldn't get the Thoresen article link to open, but noted that the eBay buyers guide I remembered is largely based on one or more of his articles.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Barrel knives have become very popular with collectors and the prices for them are on the rise. I set up at our local knife club's annual show this past weekend and took a few snaps of my Nordic knives.

The first 2 are custom made by Eric O. Bergland of Blue River, Or. The fancy one at the bottom I purchased in 2002 and will probably never sell. It's hand forged from a buggy spring.

These are a Scout knife (note the button tab on the sheath) which I didn't own long before it sold and some neat little Horse Heads and souvenir knives. They are incredibly well made and have intricately etched blades like the full sized ones. I also learned that the double Horse Head's were actually carried in womens sewing kits in the day.

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
VERY nice knives Mike!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Makes me wanna go out and maybe buy yet another knife! Thinking about a larger Leuku. Would come in handy in the woods and brush!

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Very nice Finnish knives indeed. I still need one or two for my collection. (Maybe more) The horse headed ones are way cool, and I seem to recall seeing a set that had wolf or hound heads somewhere also.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the comments fellas, there's hundreds more where those came from. Trying to get my collection down to a reasonable level so my wife isn't overwhelmed when I kick. Doesn't work when you end up buying more knives at a show though ;)

Vintage pen knife by E. Blyde & Company, Sheffield, England. Originally sold aboard the Queen Mary as a souvenir when she was in service. Evidentally they were made for the Cunard Line because there are examples of these knives depicting other Cunard ships as well such as the Queen Elizabeth and the Scythian.

1898845_357498924425772_7546999375597245190_o.jpg

10403885_357499011092430_7564783083989068454_o.jpg

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Very nice example of a souvenir knife V.C. They would be a nice item to collect to reflect historical places, events, etc, and easy to date too. Yours appears to be handled in "cracked ice" celluloid. In my opinion during the 19th and early 20th century, there were no better knives made than those from Sheffield, and probably none since.

robrinay

One Too Many
Here are a few of my finds - a Norwegian sheath knife by S&S Helle - old label, a Sheffield made William Rogers sheath knife with an unusual stag horn handle - now trimmed to make it less awkward. It's original sheath had turned to hard tack - the new hide sheath cost me £5 from a bloke who has lots and of these and other styles - bankrupt stock from a Sheffield factory clearance. The NATO survival knife was bought cheaply at a car boot sale.

Renault

One Too Many
Very nice Robin! Especially like the Helle! I can see where the Sheffield horn handle could be a bit tricky to utilize!

Well done!

I added another knife to my growing pile this week. A vintage Marbles Ideal with a real nice home made sheath! Love the old stacked leather!

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Great little Helle robrinay. Is there any evidence of the former knife making glory left in Sheffield now?

Hard to beat an original Marbles Renault, unless it was in it's original sheath too! There's a reason they are called "Ideal".

MikePotts

Practically Family
I haven't posted any shivs in a while:

P1010624_zpsf74b3c75.jpg

L-R

Spanish Puma - my actual gralloching knife.

Custom Mike Irie my dress gralloching knife.

.........and whatever the heck that last one is, it could almost pass for old if it didn't have Torx pins holding the scales on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner