Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(KNIVES) Let's see some sharp pointy objects

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Sounds like you need deeper pockets. Sometime with bigger folders I stick em in my back pocket. Or you can get/fabricate a belt pouch or scabbard with snap closure.
I actually haven't tried putting it in my pants lately. Last time I tried was a few years ago. My new pants all have deeper pockets than my old pants. I just tried sitting down with it in both my front and back my pocket in my new pants, and it did not slide out. I figure that this means I can carry it without losing it.

I find it kind of strange that they made it in Pakistan instead of China. Wouldn't Pakistan cost more money? It wasn't an expensive knife at all.

Last edited:

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
LOTS of knives and assorted cutlery are being made in Pakistan these days. Particularly knives made of "Damascus steel" that I've been seeing a lot. I'm leary of it myself because of the cheap prices, although some of their stuff looks good on the surface. I think that real Damascus steel would be quite expensive because of the labor intensive forging process of traditional Damascus.
As to your knife security issue, maybe cargo pants with a pocket that buttons? Or as Renault suggested a knife case that clips to a belt.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I don't really think cargo pants would work, because I always dress vintage style. That is vintage civilian style. I suppose storing it in my sport coat would work find, because I don't see how it would slip out. But like I said earlier, my new pants seem fine because they have deep pockets.

I got the knife from a company called Atlanta Cutlery. While my knife isn't Damascus, Atlanta Cutlery does seem to sell plenty of those cheap Damascus knives.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Mike, I'm sure Renault's suggestion of cutting a grapefruit will do a good job of putting a patina on your knife. I had a brand new carbon steel Case pocket knife a few years ago that I used to cut up a couple of limes and it instantaneously turned the blade an almost black color.

It sure did!.....

P1010558_zpse8cb0aea.jpg

I submerged the whole knife in GF Juice topped off with a bit of vinegar to add some volume and an hour later I had this nice dark variegated blade!

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
I do not own this knife but I really wish I did. I have a friend who is a gentleman blacksmith and through him I found out about Gullinbursti AKA Petr Floriánek, who makes in my mind real adventure treasure, the sort I would love to discover following an expedition ;)

http://gullinbursti.cz/index.php?lang=en&page=home

314.jpg

318.jpg

Dwimorberg
Dwimorber means wraith in the language of Rohirrim - riders of Rohan. This is a dagger of one of those warriors, meant to serve in silent job along the long border of Rohan. The blade is of random damascus and is double beveled. The shape is typicaly leaf like, as the blades of grass covering the plains of mark. Hilt consists of brass bolster, antler guard and leather covered handle. Other mounts are brass. Dagger sits in a wooden scabbard, coverd with cowhide and with brass mounts. Ornamentation is executed with the symbols of war and creatures from the folklore of Rohirrim

To dark and distance continents and adventures everywhere! :D

Last edited:

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
That is some amazing work! Very authentic and from a true master craftsman. :eusa_clap
I do not own this knife but I really wish I did. I have a friend who is a gentleman blacksmith and through him I found out about Gullinbursti AKA Petr Floriánek, who makes in my mind real adventure treasure, the sort I would love to discover following an expedition ;)

http://gullinbursti.cz/index.php?lang=en&page=home

View attachment 15624

View attachment 15625

Dwimorberg
Dwimorber means wraith in the language of Rohirrim - riders of Rohan. This is a dagger of one of those warriors, meant to serve in silent job along the long border of Rohan. The blade is of random damascus and is double beveled. The shape is typicaly leaf like, as the blades of grass covering the plains of mark. Hilt consists of brass bolster, antler guard and leather covered handle. Other mounts are brass. Dagger sits in a wooden scabbard, coverd with cowhide and with brass mounts. Ornamentation is executed with the symbols of war and creatures from the folklore of Rohirrim

To dark and distance continents and adventures everywhere! :D

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
I finally bought what I had originally intended to get. The Mora Bushcraft in black carbon steel.

They are great quality and a super knife for the price. I have one that I use all the time and the blade is rather black from sweet chestnut wood. It is a really great little tool and I have leather sheath for mine rather than the plastic one it came with. A true giant for bushcraft work.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Late-30 to 40's German Pin-up pocket knife. The gal is printed on mother of pearl.

Pre-1945 and meant for export, as it is marked "Made in Germany".

I picked this one up at a Belgian fleamarket.

SAM_7287.jpg

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
I just got this Shefield steel "stag's" foot handled beauty.
stagfootknife_zps594a381f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

In great shape for it's age with a couple of small areas where the hair is scuffed off and a nice patina on the brass parts and overall.
I would estimate it to be perhaps 50 or 60 years old? Can't be certain,.. [huh]
There's something rather earthy and mystical, (some would say ironic I'm sure) about these knives made with parts of the animals we hunt.

Renault

One Too Many
No new knives of late???? I think I have some stuff coming in! Mebbe some pics in the near future!!

Hopefully!!!!

Last postings showed off some awesome looking steel!

Renault

One Too Many
Long awaited package arrived today. Wifey picked me up this pair of cool Finnish puukkos! Cost me a dollar each ( I never accept a knife as a gift! Call me superstitious!)

But I really like em!

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Those are nice Renault. :eusa_clap I've been watching quite a few on ebay myself. Something along those lines will be my next purchase. Thinking of getting an Iisaakki Scout maybe or one of the two-fer sets of Finnish knives. Love that Finnish steel, beautifully crafted and practical too.

Renault

One Too Many
Thanks Mr. Jones!

I have the smallest Iissaakki scout and they are awesome knives! Very traditional design in the vein of the old Marbles leather stacked handle knives. They are much cheaper than an original Marble. And the steel is exceptional!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR