(KNIVES) Let's see some sharp pointy objects

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by SHARPETOYS, Mar 31, 2005.

1. TPD166

TPD166 One Too Many

I picked up a few knives out of a “knife box” in a shop the other day – most unremarkable. But I found this tiny (almost to the point of useless) Sheffield interesting – cannot find any info about it (or another one like it) online. Well-made, but nearly impossible to open one-handed).
    [​IMG]

Another tactical folding knife had this logo on the blade – not sure if it is maker’s mark or not. No other markings at all. A very well-made knife and would love to know more about it. Does anyone recognize this logo? My research has turned up nothing.
    [​IMG]

2. TPD166

TPD166 One Too Many

Here is the whole knife with the mystery logo, if that helps.
    [​IMG]

BobHufford likes this.
  3. MikePotts

MikePotts Practically Family

Hi Robert, My chums on the knife board say it's a 'Precision Tactical' probably from Academy Sports. MP

Kirk H. and TPD166 like this.
  4. TPD166

TPD166 One Too Many

Thanks Mike! I'm betting the $3 I paid for it beats Academy's price - a pretty nice knife over all.

Kirk H. and RJR like this.
  5. MikePotts

MikePotts Practically Family

Here's a little sgian.... work in progress. Needs a little colour, shine and filler in the tang hole but it has possibilities for a casual daytime sock knife :)

P1010800-003.JPG

AbbaDatDeHat, Killick and TPD166 like this.
  6. Inkstainedwretch

Inkstainedwretch Practically Family

The pictures have disappeared from a lot of the early posts on this thread. Would some of you consider reposting? It's disconcerting to see descriptions of what sound like fascinating knives but not being able to see the picture. Meanwhile I'll see if I can figure out how to post pics of some of my collection. I've been collecting for more than 50 years.

7. alanfgag

alanfgag

240mm handmade/hand forged gyuto kitchen knife from the workshop of Shosui Takeda. Inner core of AS (aogami super blue steel) jacketed on both sides by carbon steel with a rustic kurouchi finish. Weighs less than 6 ounces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Celia

Celia A-List Customer

That looks great Alan, I love the finish. I have a couple of Japanese knives in the kitchen as well and they are razor sharp, slice through anything as if it were butter. Totally worth the money. I have the scar on my finger to prove it ;)

As for pocket knives, I rarely travel without my swiss army knife. Nothing fancy or vintage, but functional.

9. alanfgag

alanfgag

Thanks for your note. I've collected kitchen tools for many years and have (way too) many knives - old ones, new designs... quite a few Japanese knives. This is the first hand made knife I have purchased. The workshop has been in existence since 1920 - three generations of Takedas have run it. The three workers can turn out about 250 knives a month. There is a nice article on Shosui Takeda here.

I used to keep a small folding knife tool in my travel backpack. We can't do that anymore in the US... if forgotten, it will be taken away by airport security when the bags are screened. I lost a nice knife that way once.

Celia likes this.
  10. Celia

Celia A-List Customer

Thank you for the link, it's good to see craftmanship like this surviving in this day and age.

We can't get through airport security with pen knives anymore either here in Europe. I almost always travel by train though, which solves the problem. Even on the Eurostar (through the channel tunnel), where they have airport-like security, they do allow swiss army knives (and let me through with a hat pin). I've travelled all across Europe by train and found it much more civilised and relaxing than flying.

11. alanfgag

alanfgag

I remember well from my first Eurailpass... a wonderful system.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Celia likes this.
  12. alanfgag

alanfgag

So I bought a couple of more kitchen knives from Takeda Hamono in Japan. Also a sheath knife for camping.

3takeda.jpg

takeda_sheath.jpg

13. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

Once you try Japanese steel, it's hard to accept substitutes

14. Killick

Killick Familiar Face

I made of the knife on the bottom from a swiss bayonet. Kinda like a Roman Gladius.

knives.JPG
    knives I.JPG

Kirk H. and BobHufford like this.
  15. Killick

Killick Familiar Face

one more for now. Had this beauty made for me. It's forged from an old file.
    knife II.JPG

16. Inkstainedwretch

Inkstainedwretch Practically Family

That looks like a Winkler. Is it?

17. Killick

Killick Familiar Face

No Sir. A fella by the name of White Wolf in North Carolina made that knife, another one like it but shorter and a tomahawk for me. In this picture shows the knife and tomahawk along with a possibles bag & horn I made. A a pic of the 'hawk by itself.

knifenhawk.JPG
    tomahawk.jpeg

18. RJR

RJR

Boker-AK-Auto.jpg
    Boker AK

KY Gentleman, Killick and BobHufford like this.
  19. Killick

Killick Familiar Face

Nice little Boker Bob.

20. cm289

cm289 One of the Regulars

Some Cold Steel tomahawks I modified-[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KotaB, BobHufford and Killick like this.