Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(KNIVES) Let's see some sharp pointy objects

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks bulldog. In search of leather laces for the lanyards.

BTW, should knife lanyard be long enough to go on you r wrist or just to help tug it out of the sheath?

Tom, I don't think there are any rules there, my 2 cents is do whatever pleases you most.

Knife2.jpg

I've got a knife blank like this with stag handles & need to get the tang even with the handle sides.
What type of grinder is best?

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
I've got a knife blank like this with stag handles & need to get the tang even with the handle sides.

Don't use a grinder. Grinders are good only for gross shaping, IMHO. A 1 inch belt sander will give a more satisfactory result and is much more "controllable."

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
These are Eskimo "Woman's" Knives, sometimes called an Ulu. The smaller white handled example is stocked with Oosik. The two with wooden handles are stocked with driftwood from the Bering Sea. The small one is from a ladies skin sewing kit. Blades are cut from ordinary hand saw blades, and are Native made. The top is my variation on the theme, made from a planer blade. It is stocked with moose antler.

DSC01207.jpg

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Here are some sgian dubh that I made to wear with my highland attire. I had never made knives before, so each one was a learning experience. The damascus blades and the silver banding came from a supplier in Scotland. The steel blade I cut down from another knife and my son in-law helped me re-temper the blade.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I don't think you would want to do what I did! Remember, this was about 35 years ago, I was much younger and foolisher! I had a large hand held rotary sander, I locked it on and put it on the concrete outside between my feet as I sat there with my knees up, then used it like a grinder. Not sure how I kept from stabbing my self, in some important places? Comes under the old fighter pilot adage, "I'd rater be lucky then good!"

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi

Use a belt sander, I have a few of those to do for the scout troop back in Wichita. Buy a very coarse belt, a medium to get the sanding marks off, and a very light one, say 400-600. It's probably worth your money to go buy an inexpensive one.

Later

Last edited:

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
1215121115_zps957812c7.jpeg

My favourite knives. My Otto Fromm Co. Red Head straight razor, my grandfather's Japanese ATCO #4 knife (white faux mother of pearl handle), and his F.R. Olbertz Solingen German knife with ebony handle scales with nickel silver bolsters and brass casement for the blade, my Casexx "mini toothpick" with green stag scales and nickel silkver bolsters and brass pins, and a very very old pocket knife with mother of pearl scales, silver pins and bolsters, and a silver foil platelet which reads: Richardson Grove, Park, CALIF, and finally my smallest knife which also has mother of pearl scales, nickel silver bolsters, and a solid gold ring for attaching to a pocket chain.

howardeye

Practically Family
Some of my Italian made Red Dot Fishtail Picklock Switchblades. The red dot meaning hand picked highest quality, and picklock meaning there is a locking plate that must be pried open with your fingernail to close the blade. Many teenagers in the 50's had thumbnails that were chewed up because of this style of knife.
These are a limited remake of the picklocks from the early 50's using the same dies by the same maker. I think Mr. Campolin was in his 80's when he made these. They fire open like rockets wanting to jump out of your hand. 10 inches long. There are no markings on the smaller one.

TomS

One Too Many
Some of my Italian made Red Dot Fishtail Picklock Switchblades. The red dot meaning hand picked highest quality, and picklock meaning there is a locking plate that must be pried open with your fingernail to close the blade. Many teenagers in the 50's had thumbnails that were chewed up because of this style of knife.
These are a limited remake of the picklocks from the early 50's using the same dies by the same maker. I think Mr. Campolin was in his 80's when he made these. They fire open like rockets wanting to jump out of your hand. 10 inches long. There are no markings on the smaller one.

Nice collection...

howardeye

Practically Family
Thank you. My carrying knives below. Balisong or Butterfly Knives.

Left to right:
Spyderco Spyderfly
Philippine Handmade (The real deal)
Benchmade Titanium Handle 42MC - Obsolete - My everyday carry
Benchmade Titanium Handle 41MC - Obsolete
Benchmade Titanium Handle 46MC - Obsolete

Landman

One Too Many
I have a nice collection of Randall Made Knives. Unfortunately, I don't have many pictures of them. This is the only picture I can find at the moment. It is a picture of my Randall Model 26 Pathfinder along with a Colt Combat Commander and a Zippo lighter.

BBQ_Colt_01a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner