Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Known examples of Steerhide A-2s during the WWII era?

polocoat

One of the Regulars
HoosierDady - I agree 100% with your comments. An original mil spec contract label on one of these steer hide or two piece back A-2s could certainly cause some interesting discussions here and on VLJ. I don't believe however that an example of this type of A-2 has ever been found. I don't think it is reasonable for others to assume that because, in their minds, it COULD exist then, it MUST exist.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
HoosierDady - I agree 100% with your comments. An original mil spec contract label on one of these steer hide or two piece back A-2s could certainly cause some interesting discussions here and on VLJ. I don't believe however that an example of this type of A-2 has ever been found. I don't think it is reasonable for others to assume that because, in their minds, it COULD exist then, it MUST exist.

I said COULD. There is always the possiblity....How many WWII Cooper A-2s turn up? Very few. I have only seen one, in a book, but there it was a WWII Cooper.
As far as a steerhide jacket.. how would YOU know? Even the experts tell us that it is impossible to tell cow from horse unless scientific testing is done, let alone 70 year old horse/cow. Again a mute point as it can not be proven or disproven. I really must let this go....

I said COULD. There is always the possiblity....How many WWII Cooper A-2s turn up? Very few. I have only seen one, in a book, but there it was a WWII Cooper.
As far as a steerhide jacket.. how would YOU know? Even the experts tell us that it is impossible to tell cow from horse unless scientific testing is done, let alone 70 year old horse/cow. Again a mute point as it can not be proven or disproven. I really must let this go....

...I would reckon so. Why so insistant? Aswatland didn't care to argue long about it...
HD

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cooper A2s hmm. They do exist and not just in books! I own one in a size 44. Sure it was a small contract and examples do turn up very occasionally.
021-31.jpg

Two piece back contract A2s do not exist as a two piece back was contrary to the original spec. The debate over steerhide A2s will get nowhere unless science can be used to test sufficient A2 to determine surving steerhide examples. People can speculate as much as they like but 100% proof is needed, not conjecture.

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Yes Andrew's jackets are all fantastic examples. I never tire of looking at period examples.

Is it likely a scientific survey of original A-2s, sampling the DNA of the different hides would ever take place? Never say never I suppose! Since incredible scientific and forensic research does go on for great works of art.

Possibly some authenticated documents might be found to prove steerhide was on occasion used? Not sure if this is likely either, however there is already a lot of known data regarding jacket makers of the time period. So hopefully active reserachers might one day solve the mystery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda