Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knox Forty - from 1920

buler

I'll Lock Up
Nope, don't have the hat. But found it surprising that this hat was introduced in 1920! When you could have bought a very nice hat for around $5.

A model, the "Forty", named after its price. Made from undyed clear belly beaver and other top shelf components.

They also had a "Twenty" in 1915.

B

knox_forty_nov_1920.jpg

knox_forty_1921_1.jpg

knox_forty_1921_2.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Yes indeed, that was a lot of money in 1920. As you point out, it's interesting too that the natural undyed beaver was described as clear ...

This must have been a tremendous hat.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Also, somewhat interesting, is the Twenty was a derby in 1915. 5 years later the Forty is a soft hat. The article says they are also making a natural beaver derby, but don't say that its priced at $40.

B

knox_twenty_feb_1915.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Great stuff, Bill. Thanks for posting! This article addresses a lot of the things we have previously speculated about concerning the higher end hats. Really interesting that a high-end hat like this one actually tended to lead to two sales -- the lower quality hat would be worn more often in order to make sure that the "40" remained minty fresh. :)

Cheers,
JtL

Wow, that's a very large sum indeed!
According to this USD inflation calculator:
http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
...the "Twenty" in 1915 and the "Forty" in 1920 would both be equivalent to USD 450,- in today's currency.

Very interesting ads! Using the inflation calculator, twenty dollars bought more in 1940 than it did in 1920 and almost as much in 1950. The great inflation years were yet to come.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
This is fascinating stuff! There probably wasn't another hatter willing to ask those prices at that time. No wonder John Cavanagh wanted to add Knox to the company - C&K would have most of the high-end market cornered.

Brad

buler

I'll Lock Up
"By (or buy) the numbers".

Just bumping because the latest round of "100" hats reminded me of this thread.

B

fedoracentric

Banned
So, imagine this... in 1920 the average income seems to have been around $1,200 annually. So, someone paying $40 for a hat? Wowsers!

In 1950 the average income was around $5,000. Imagine spending $100 on a Stetson 100 at that time.

The costs boggle the mind when thought of in those terms.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
People understood quality more back then. To get someone to spend 200 for a hat today is quite a task. Back then, a person spent 10 on a hat quite often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy