Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kodachrome

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I havent completely confirmed this
and its not unexpected.

Wikipedia seems to indicate that K200 ceased in Nov 2006:
Kodachrome 200 discontinuation
Kodak officially (and very quietly, with no public announcement) discontinued K-200 in November of 2006. As of April 2007, there is still K-200 available from emulsion batch 2671, with expiration dates of as late as March 2008, and from a newer coating, emulsion batch 2672, dated as late as April 2008.

No word on Kodachrome64 , but this is the end of an american classic.

Shoot it if you want a last chance for some vintage slideshows.

Mike K.

One Too Many
I hope to keep shooting slide film (as well as digital) so hopefully this old classic won't disappear completely.
Worst case scenario (no more slide film) - there are Adobe Photoshop plug-ins that transform digital images, mimicking such classic films as Kodachrome 64 and Fuji Velvia. The romance of film may not be there, but at least the images will look the same.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
is this GoldenAge????

Incidentally, for those not into photography, Kodachrome is GoldenAge.
Its been thru changes but it first appeared in the mid `30s.
Its an exceedingly stable color film so highly prized for its archival qualities & color rendition.
It has long been th benchmark by which other films are compared.

100 years from now, someone might find an old slide in a box & marvel at a glimpse into teh 20th century. If they found a PhotoCD, theyd probably be hard pressed to figure out whats stored on it....

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
People might be able to buy the chemicals and run it themselves, but what a pain!

Yes, just shoot it up now.

Nope...some labs might continue to offer the K14 developing service, but theres never been a do-it-yerself guide to trying it unlike say B&W or regular slide film.
For a while the machines for developing kodachrome took up a whole room & few labs offered the service. In the `90s, Kodak redesigned the machines to reduce the size. But even Kodak cut back in the last couple years from daily service to monthly....

heres a quick explanation from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-14_process

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Oh no! Paul Simon is gonna have to write another song.

KODACHOME is like, the best color film! :(

WeeGee said:
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, Oh yeah...

Yes, I am a HUGE Paul Simon fan, I just adore him. I see him in concert on a regular basis and am a member of his fan club!!:eek::p

Photomuse

Familiar Face
MrBern said:
Nope...some labs might continue to offer the K14 developing service, but theres never been a do-it-yerself guide to trying it unlike say B&W or regular slide film.

ARE there other labs processing Kodachrome? At this point I think it is just Kodak. Other labs usually just send it to them. The chemicals are pricey for Kodachrome. My guess is: no Kodachrome=no chemicals

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
You'll still have other types of slide film available.
But they will be E-6 developmnt. Most labs can handle that.Sometimes in a few hours.
Kodachrome is completely different
Kodachrome is actually a black and white film and the color dyes are introduced during the film development.
Which is one reason why its so stable when travelling the world.

I'm sure some of the NationalGeographic Photogs are upset by the situation, tho we all saw it coming.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh no, not again!....

Does this mean I can't get any more Kodachrome 10 anymore either???
4-18-07-77.jpg

Nevermind finding Ansco; they're long gone!
4-18-07-79.jpg

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner