Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA~ Griffith Park Fire

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Apparently, the largest brush fire ever had in Griffith Park... The beautiful Observatory is in danger. I'm very close, but not effected by the power outage. Started around 1:30pm near the Hollywood sign, has spread and burned hundreds of acres and hasn't stopped yet...:( Took a photo from my apt. The white dots to the left of the fire are the observatory.

firedw0.png

img19881uh8.png

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
katiemakeup said:
Apparently, the largest brush fire ever had in Griffith Park... The beautiful Observatory is in danger. I'm very close, but not effected by the power outage. Started around 1:30pm near the Hollywood sign, has spread and burned hundreds of acres and hasn't stopped yet...:( Took a photo from my apt. The white dots to the left of the fire are the observatory.

firedw0.png

Yea...last I read it was only 25% contained....-not- good at all...

Keep safe dear!

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I think so- but this one is so close to LA. Thanks for the well wishes, but I am sure I'll be fine. Been watching the news, so untill they talk about Franklin Ave, I'm staying put. I know Marc lives in Los Feliz too, but I don't know where. Hope he wasn't one of the evacuated!

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I work in Azusa and could smell the smoke through the late part of my shift: 12:00 to 8:30 PM. My commute home was like driving through a light snow.

I worry about you who are near it, and about the Observatory, so close to its reopening. Be careful.

Lee

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
The Observatory reopened a couple months ago. The fire department will stop it. It isn't as windy today as it was yesterday.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I was near enough to almost touch it.

I live on the corner of Los Feliz and Commonwealth. The fire reached the top of Commonwealth, less than a quarter mile above me. Every home in front of my building was evacuated; luckily, my place was not.

At night, my wife and I watched the fire from the 14th floor rooftop. Had a perfect view of the inferno. All of our favorite hiking trails were consumed. This morning, the park looks like it was carpet bombed. A flattened wasteland.

The huge flames were terrible and beautiful at the same time. Strangely enough, no ashes fell on us, and the smoke wasn't bad. Weird.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
I was near enough to almost touch it.

I live on the corner of Los Feliz and Commonwealth. The fire reached the top of Commonwealth, less than a quarter mile above me. Every home in front of my building was evacuated; luckily, my place was not.

At night, I watched the fire from the 14th floor roof. Had a perfect view of the inferno. All of my favorite hiking trails were consumed. This morning, the park looks like it was carpet bombed. A flattened wasteland.

The huge flames were terrible and beautiful at the same time. Strangely enough, no ashes fell on me, and the smoke wasn't bad. Weird.

Thats because the smoke all blew to my house....and my car -was- covered in ashes...

Glad to hear you are safe and sound...we were worried.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Glad to hear everyone is safe.

Just wait until a few months from now. You'll be amazed how lush and green the environment is after a healthy fire! Lot's of wildlife comes in too.
:)

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Driving home last night, I was on the 5 freeway north of Los Feliz, and the flames were coming very close to the edge of the freeway. The flames were also quite visible from the parking lot at work after the sun went down.

Didn't Hammelby just move to Silverlake?

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Inside yes. I haven't physically cried for years.

I remember last year there were so many rainy days, that just aren't here this year. Rain makes me happy. :)

Tony in Tarzana said:
Didn't Hammelby just move to Silverlake?
He's in his own place now, and with a great deal! I spoke to him the other day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80