Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Times - LAPD Gangster Squad series

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Noir L.A. was a time and place where truth was not found in the sunlight, and justice not found in marble courthouses, and where not a single gangland killing was solved, not one, for half a century. Not on paper, anyway.

The Los Angeles Times is running a series of 7 articles, starting yesterday, about the LAPD's Gangster Squad, created in 1946. Both articles are online with photos and some video. I'm sure a few of you would find this interesting.

Crusaders in the underworld (Sunday)
Mickey Cohen is dodging bullets (Monday)

ETA: Thanks to Ugarte, here's a link to the whole series, with photos & video. (Warning for dialup users: video starts playing as soon as the page loads.)

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gangster-sg,0,5506273.storygallery

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
The writer has labored hard to rise to the level of a dime novel Mickey Spillane knockoff (see quote in above post--not a single murder was solved in 50 years in LA? What does it mean that not a single gangland killing was solved on paper? Was it solved on stone tablets? How about vellum?).

I paddled hard against the torrent of overworked metaphors and frequent non sequiturs in the first installment but eventually bailed. Credit to those who make it through.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
You're right about the bad writing

StraightEight said:
What does it mean that not a single gangland killing was solved on paper? Was it solved on stone tablets? How about vellum?).

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but...

I think the author is referring, in pretty cliche terms, to the fact that the LAPD and LA County Sheriff's Dept. were both largely on the payroll of organized crime in this era, and sometimes played a more active roll then just turning a blind eye. It was common for no arrests to be made in gangland killings where the parties involved were basically known to all.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Thanks so much for this link.

I had heard a bit about the Ganster Squad through movies and books about that time (Hat Squad in Mulholland Falls, Black Dahlia books, etc.).

Great to see a series about it. I wonder if Larry Harnisch was involved?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I agree with some of the other posts: for a subject as rich and juicy as this, the article is awfully dry reading. Sorry if that's a bad metaphor.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
I agree with some of the other posts: for a subject as rich and juicy as this, the article is awfully dry reading. Sorry if that's a bad metaphor.

It almost reads like a textbook...lol. It's a fascinating subject though. Golden Era crime normally gets my attention like chocolate...[huh]

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I've only read the first article, so I can't say how dry the rest of it is. It didn't seem terribly dry to me, but then, the topic caught my eye. Worth going through for the story about Mickey Cohen paying for his own wiretap. :p Some things are waayyyy easier to read on paper - I know I don't like slogging through long articles online.

(The quote was added for the proper noir effect. I don't claim to have authenticated its veracity or deeper meaning. :))

To Mr. H: I don't know if Larry Harnisch was involved directly, but it looks like he's participating somehow, maybe by blogging? (The LA Times' site is REALLY unclear and uncooperative...) See the sidebar.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
ShoreRoadLady said:
To Mr. H: I don't know if Larry Harnisch was involved directly, but it looks like he's participating somehow, maybe by blogging? (The LA Times' site is REALLY unclear and uncooperative...) See the sidebar.

Wow.

You know, I love this subject. I got Ellroy's DVD "Feast of Death" recently and it featured veteran LAPD detectives at the Pacific Dining Car talking about old crimes. Really reminds me of this.

To ShoreRoadLady: thanks for digging this up ;) .

Story

I'll Lock Up
Hang on to your Fedoras, guys - I stumbled onto these articles, so I went looking for pics. Whatta I find?

'Gangster' article snapped up by Warners
Saturday, November 8 2008, 05:30 GMT

By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter

Warner Bros. has acquired the movie rights to Paul Lieberman's article Tales From The Gangster Squad, says Variety.

The seven-part Los Angeles Times series, which concluded in Saturday's paper, sheds light on the formation of the LAPD 'Gangster Squad' in 1946. The group used strong-arm tactics to surpress criminals and keep the East Coast Mafia out of the city.

Lieberman began work on the articles 16 years ago when he received a call from a man who claimed that he had worked in the unit when it was formed after World War II.

He later met with the man, retired Sgt. Jack O'Mara, and managed to track down nine other squad members. It took Lieberman more than ten years to convince one man, a surveillance expert, to reveal his side of the story.

The film will reportedly focus on two police officers - one a member of the team, the other made to leave against his will - as they attempt to track down mob boss Mickey Cohen.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Story said:
Hang on to your Fedoras, guys - I stumbled onto this articles, so I went looking for pics. Whatta I find?

'Gangster' article snapped up by Warners
Saturday, November 8 2008, 05:30 GMT

By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter

Warner Bros. has acquired the movie rights to Paul Lieberman's article Tales From The Gangster Squad, says Variety.

Cool! More vintage costuming! :eusa_clap

funneman

Practically Family
Mr. 'H' said:
I had heard a bit about the Ganster Squad through movies and books about that time (Hat Squad in Mulholland Falls).QUOTE]

This movie was on again last night.

They drove a car much like the one in your avatar StraightEight.

The clothes and hats were great.

An impressive cast.

Story

I'll Lock Up
NYPD homicide squad w. portable lamps, pistol-grip light, and other homicide detection equipment, including rubber gloves, finger printing equipment etc. to process a crime scene.
Date taken: 1937

http://images.google.com/hosted/lif...:life&start=80&ndsp=20&hl=en&safe=active&sa=N

Good avatar pics
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?q=pistol+source:life&imgurl=02bb59a1cee61b12

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?q=pistol+source:life&imgurl=3e8bfac3487f2f19

Wonder if this was a staged photo, or if it was just never published.

NYPD homicide detectives investigating crime scene and body of a woman found murdered.
Date taken: 1937
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?q=pistol+source:life&imgurl=83ba12aae8abd5eb

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo