Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies Belts & Buckles: A Primer

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Peterson's Magazine 1872

Like my previous entry, this book was difficult to find examples of belts and buckles. To repeat my previous post:

Note that belts and buckles were not commonplace on the ladies during this period, due to the fashion. I have included girls and boys and house fashion to this post, as belt and buckle illustrations were limited in this particular book.

The first couple images I shrunk a little more than usual, so please let me know if you need a larger image.

petersons_1872_cover.JPG

petersons_1872_belts1.jpg

petersons_1872_belts2.jpg

Note this is a boy's dress with belt, standard for the period.
petersons_1872_belts3.jpg

Note this entry is a chatelaine
petersons_1872_belt4_chatelaine.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
retrogirl1941 said:
Sunny, That belt is to die for! I could see it with a dark blue suit with black accesories with silver accents. I can't wait to see the outfit you have planned for it!
Actually, no plans yet! Impulse buy, pure and simple! :p I stumbled on it when I was searching for a big black buckle for the 1937 suit I'm making.

Vintage Betty said:
Wow-that's beautiful! Now, out of curiosity, why did this belt and buckle set appeal to you?
(A) Because it was 28", and that's my waist. ;)
(B) It's silver, it's dainty, it's cool (I love mesh!), and it reminds me of Elves.
And what era do you think its from?
(A) Before reviewing your pictures (;)), about 1930 to the mid 1930s.
(B) After reviewing your pictures, 1936-1940s. The 1936-37 Montgomery Wards ad claims the mesh belt is "new."
1936_montgomery_belts2.JPG

And the one from the 1947 Sears (second above the "DRESS" sign) is virtually identical.
sears_1947_b.JPG

Ironic! For some reason I had a picture of this sort of thing with a very slinky bias-cut gown. :D I would've thought the leaf to be more deco and less "sporty '40s," and clasp-style belts still seem to be more typical of the 1920s and early 1930s. What do you think of this black dress with it? It's a knit, with elastic waist. (Trust me, it looks better over a black slip. :D)
131092475_o.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
Speaking of the buckle I got for the suit I'm making...

These are scans and not photos, so the color and quality is a bit off. There were three in the auction, although it was just the first that I really needed.

This is the one that's going with my light gray suit. It's black and silver, and about 2 1/2" tall.
30sbuckles2.jpg

This one should be red, not watermelon pink. ;)
30sbuckles1.jpg

This one the seller knew was from a later period, suggesting 1950s.
30sbuckles3.jpg

Vintage Betty

YAY! I'm so glad my pictures are being used! That makes me happy.

And I think you in that dress and belt combination look lovely.

Looking forward to seeing what else you do with your buckles.

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

Mode Pratique 1938

Mode Pratique January 8, 1938
mode_pratique_010838_cover.JPG

Mode Pratique February 5, 1938
mode_pratique_020538_cover.JPG

Mode Pratique February 19, 1938
mode_pratique_021938_cover.JPG

Mode Pratique March 5, 1938
mode_pratique_030538_cover.JPG

Mode Pratique May 21, 1938
mode_pratique_052138_cover.JPG

Mode Pratique July 9, 1938
mode_pratique_070938_cover.JPG

mackenzie

Familiar Face
Now I have to go and buy a new keyboard since mine is ruined from me drewling over it. Is there a thread like this for accessories in general. I'm interested in purses from those beautiful catalogs.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lilibet said:
I don't know if anybody has seen this site, but they have some lovely buckles and other accessories. They have a store in Bethesda, MD, and everything is old-new, usually still in the original packaging. (Maybe this should be moved to the shopping thread?) Cheers!

http://www.accessoriesofold.com/store/index.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=73

For those prices, I would think it's repro? Or? Also seeing that they have some items that are identical but just with different rhinestones, for example. If they are not repro, I think they are selling the things for nice prices... Especially the dress clips, drool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy