Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies: Is your spouse/S.o. into vintage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lauren said:
I think if you get someone of an artistic temperment that they generally aren't opposed to dressing up. Unless, of course, there is an oh-so-serious reason why it's "denying the self" lol (note sarcasm)

I think you are right on with that Lauren. My DH is and English teacher and writer and while he like the Golden Era on me and in films, he doesn't like it for himself. But he does like to dress up, as a Sith.
Here he is in his non-vintage Star Wars costume I made him.;)
dvcostume1.jpg

Girl Friday

Practically Family
My boyfriend has more vintage clothing than I do! He reenacts WWII, Old West and Vietnam. So anywhere from the late 1800's to the 50's. Music, clothing, furniture and movies. He also likes shopping...as long as it isn't at the mall.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
CherryRed said:
I think you are right on with that Lauren. My DH is and English teacher and writer and while he like the Golden Era on me and in films, he doesn't like it for himself. But he does like to dress up, as a Sith.
dvcostume1.jpg
Great costume!

I know a lot of guys that won't dress up for Halloween (SO boring!!!). Great costume! That is fantastic!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
CherryRed said:
dvcostume1.jpg

Great costume! One of my boyfriends was the same way- he wouldn't wear vintage (though we were notorious thrift store hunters) but would dress up as characters! We were pirates and the Royal Tenembaums one year for Halloween.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
My husband doesn't typically dress vintage. On our wedding day he did ditch the tux after the ceremony for a zout suit, hat and chain. He also has a WWII uniform that he will wear for USO dances.

He is generally very well dressed and classic. Has very nice taste in shoes and looks smashing in a suit. He would probably wear vintage inspired if offered to him. He has gone vintage shopping with me... very hard to get a nice fit given his shoulder span tho.

Generally he is a very good sport about my dressing and will typically try to pull an outfit together with consideration to matching my level of dress.

Honey Doll

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My boyfriend is very much into vintage everything, but especially cars and housewares (he's starting to collect vintage radios and tvs, and now we're running out of room). He even shaves with a straight razor!

His style of dress has gone from being more 1950's greaser to leaning more towards a blend of the 1940's and 50's. But you know, of course hidden under his vintage Pendelton is an old Insane Clown Posse t-shirt from middle school (yeah, he can still fit into middle school clothes -- he was freakishly tall/big for a 12 year old!). ;)

Honestly, I wonder what I'm gonna do if we ever break up! Where will I find another guy who's into vintage like I am?

olive bleu

One Too Many
My Husband used to wear some vintage stuff when i first met him. I loved it. It really becomes him. he has kind of gotten away from it in recent years. He is a big boy and i think he is a little self concious about it. I think he is lovely, and he knows i actually like him that way, but i don't think he wants to attract attention to himself these days.

However, he is extremely supportive of me and what i wear. and thinks my stuff is lovely.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
pigeon toe said:
Honestly, I wonder what I'm gonna do if we ever break up! Where will I find another guy who's into vintage like I am?

Sure! There's plenty of blokes on here to choose from ;)

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
My husband and I started exploring the Golden Era together and we've both been enjoying every minute of it.

He has a nice wool DB 1930s suit that he hasn't been able to wear yet because Dallas has been so darned hot! The one vintage dress that I have bought proved to be too fragile to wear and ripped under the arm the last time I tried it on.

--Leslie

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
My boyfriend is SS Fallschirmjager Battalion 500/600 reenactor. He loves 40s to 60s vintage and also DJs *vintage* music at a local club playing rare stuff!

MissHuff

A-List Customer
CherryRed said:
dvcostume1.jpg

If my s.o saw this he'd immediately tell me to make him one. [huh] if only he would see a picture of Cary Grant and say the same thing... lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Not at all

He is warming up a little bit. I think he was a bit uneasy with my vintage craze. To him, he liked it when I was still dressing like a teenager, but being almost 30yrs old, and working with people, it's no longer comfortable for me nor is it the impression that I want to portray to others. The eye rolling has lessened and I have actually gotten him to wear a hat (NOT a cap that he loves to wear).....I'm very much looking forward to the day when he discovers how great men look in classy clothes!

Madison Paige

Familiar Face
I'm extremly fortunate to have boy that dresses vintage and shares my love for everything else vintage (you'll actually find him in the fedora lounge, Mr. Maltby). He dresses vintage all the time, and he loves his vintage suits, and its rare to see him without one of his many fedoras, honest, if he could shower and sleep in them, he would never take his hat off! He and I go thrift store shopping as often as we can, and he's a pro at finding amazing vintage items. He also loves living the life, and enjoys helping me decorate every last inch of our little room in the mid-century modern style. I'm a very very lucky girl :D

Grace

Vendor
I'm extremly fortunate to have boy that dresses vintage and shares my love for everything else vintage

Me, too!! I can gush to him about an amazing vintage gown, and he's practically gushing right along with me! He loves a good suit, and we both like to get all dolled up.

He loves mid century modern as well. Every quarter we read through our new issue of Atomic Ranch together, and gush and drool all over it.

He loves and appreciated beautiful things, like antique Handel or Tiffany lamps. My brother thinks it's weird. "Why doesn't he like dirt bikes and guns and stuff?" Well, dear brother, to put it quite simply he's a man of taste.

(we're always joking with each other that we've got champagne tastes on a beer budget! but we do love good beer...)

Madison Paige

Familiar Face
Me, too!! I can gush to him about an amazing vintage gown, and he's practically gushing right along with me! He loves a good suit, and we both like to get all dolled up.

He loves mid century modern as well. Every quarter we read through our new issue of Atomic Ranch together, and gush and drool all over it.
Oh! Us lucky little girls! My boyfriend and I drool over amazing clothing too, men and women's! It's SO nice to have someone that appriciates the same things as you, isn't it?!

What is Atomic Ranch?? I was heart broken when Atomic Magazine stopped putting out their magazine, so I'd love to hear of some different "retro-ish" magazines out there.
(we're always joking with each other that we've got champagne tastes on a beer budget! but we do love good beer...)
HA! That is an excellent way of putting that! We're the same way!!

Grace

Vendor
Atomic Ranch is the *best* quarterly magazine, dedicated to mid century living, mostly houses and housewares. The only bad thing is it only comes out 4 times a year. :( My husband bought me my first subrsciption last Xmas.
I think their website is atomicranch.com or atomic-ranch.com. It's only around $20/year and well worth it.
they do highlights on mid-century architects, and before and after stories of people who restored mid century houses, etc. I think you'd like it!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
crystalface said:
my imaginary husband dresses retro. :p

lol Frank-cool-McBeans my IH does as well. He has a lot of great 50s suits and hats to match, wears man gloves and trench coats, and has shiny shoes all the time. Plus a dashing smile. Trust me, in my mind, we are a sight to see walking down the street :D

moustache

Practically Family
Speaking...

from a man's standpoint:IF i were not married to THE most wonderful woman in the world,(Lavendar Lady)i would most certainly find many lovely ones here !!!!!
What man in his right mind would NOT desire such intelligence and beauty as witnessed in the posts here??I suggest ALL men who might be looking over their sweeties shoulders and reading this go NOW and start acquiring and dressing like your wife/girlfriend
What a better way to share life together???

As for the fashion statements made by the "28 yr old" fellas and others:
Balderdash!!! Yuk!! Sick!! PLEASE!!! You must be kidding!!!????

Ladies, please continue to impress the guy in your life and help him see the RIGHT way to dress!!! And put the new issue of CLASSIC STYLE" in his hands as soon as possible!!

Best regards and a tip of my hat to you beauties,

JD Moustache in Vancouver,WA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner