Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies! Where do you buy?

true vintage

New in Town
Your Christmas stuff? And if someone out there can share pictures of what your place looks like after putting up the decor and Christmas tree I would love to take a peek?

I'm in the process of buying inexpensive Christmas decor and I don't know where to start?

All input is helpful!

Warm Regards,
Me

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
It's so sad, but most of my spending is through online purchases......

usually ebay.com, overstock.com, amazon.com

Or I wait till after the x-mas season and all the decorations are marked down so I can use them next year.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Goodwill!

And Salvation Army etc. Thrift stores often save up all their Xmas stuff and put it out in November, and sometimes you even find vintage stuff!

wedding belle

Familiar Face
I make all my own decs

like christmas garlands and paper chains (these I make by painting and cutting my own paper). I use really well thought out hanging pieces from collections to make a silver room which is a bit more "trendy". I also make "freefloatng" stars.

Quite happy to offer advice or send stuff to people. Just shout :) Apparently they are "good enough to charge for" that is lovely but it's rubbish :)

It's christmas stuff - if it doesn't cost me loads - its free :)

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I volunteer in the American Cancer Society Discovery Shop (it's an upscale non-profit thrift store) and the donations are pouring in this time of year.

I put out some 1930's Christmas lights last week and will be pricing some 1920's hankies soon plus stocking our vintage jewelry display cases; so there are bargains to be had.

Vintage Betty

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
If you want new things, I love what Target has this year, and also some of the Martha Stewart stuff at KMart. Lots of vintage-inspired.

Thrifts are usually really good this time of year for Christmas stuff unless you have someone in the back who knows what they are looking at when it comes to vintage. I know firsthand-I used to work for St. Vincent de Paul years ago and lots of good stuff came through every day. Most people would price things realistically, but there was always someone who thought it needed to be at an antique store price! I always tried to be reasonable when I priced. At any rate, sometimes you can buy large plastic bags full of assorted ornaments, and there may be a few good ones among the lot if you are lucky. You just have to keep looking! Good luck out there! :)

olive bleu

One Too Many
The past few years I have bought so much stuff online, but something i am doing this year is buying from the gift shops at our local art galleries.You can get some really special unique things....not always cheap, but if you have people on your list that are impossible to buy for, you can be pretty sure of coming up with something they won't already have.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
My favorite decorations are new--just silver or gold garland, lots of strands of lights, and simple glass ball ornaments. To go along with it, I buy an ornament here and there, and over the years they add up to a unique collection. Nothing fancy, or expensive.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I don't have anything up yet. :eek:

I painted the ones like this:
2075325462_c41487f249.jpg

2074520457_96fb1d8e70_b.jpg

2074521713_9263a46ed4_b.jpg

2074523005_cb46079608_b.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
This is our first Christmas together, me and the BF, so we haven't got much in the way of decorations.

We have pretty little glass baubles we got in the Christmas Market on our first holiday in Poland a few years ago that haven't even been put up yet, so looking forward to using those.

Otherwise I will be making lots of crepe paper chains and a pinecone wreath that I collected the pinecones for from a nearby range. I plan to spray some of them bronze, maybe tip with some white paint and add in a few fake berry sprays, then put a church candle in the middle.

I want a very traditional looking house this Christmas, although we won't be there on the day. :)

We have 2 trees this year in our new house. We have our big one in the formal living room that we decorate with newer ornaments that we collected over the past 10 years. In our den which is decorated 50's we have this little silver tree. It is new but the ornaments are vintage Siney Brites from ebay and antique malls. It also has repro's of the bubble lights which you can get now at Wal-mart. The star was made by my step-daughter. The skirt is a vintage table runner from a garage sale.
silvertree.jpg

I have found some little elves and vintage plastic decorations at garage sales also.

true vintage

New in Town
wedding belle said:
like christmas garlands and paper chains (these I make by painting and cutting my own paper). I use really well thought out hanging pieces from collections to make a silver room which is a bit more "trendy". I also make "freefloatng" stars.

Quite happy to offer advice or send stuff to people. Just shout :) Apparently they are "good enough to charge for" that is lovely but it's rubbish :)

It's Christmas stuff - if it doesn't cost me loads - its free :)

That's sweet of you to offer, I would love that! This is actually my first year really investing time and effort in making xmas special at home with my little one's... every year we'd go somewhere else.
I'm starting off with absolutely no xmas decor in the house so I'm making every effort to make it come alive!
I can give you more details thru email... thank you again!
Warm Regards,
Me

true vintage

New in Town
CherryRed said:
We have 2 trees this year in our new house. We have our big one in the formal living room that we decorate with newer ornaments that we collected over the past 10 years. In our den which is decorated 50's we have this little silver tree. It is new but the ornaments are vintage Siney Brites from ebay and antique malls. It also has repro's of the bubble lights which you can get now at Wal-mart. The star was made by my step-daughter. The skirt is a vintage table runner from a garage sale.
silvertree.jpg

I have found some little elves and vintage plastic decorations at garage sales also.
This is a super cute tree, I love it...Thanks for sharing!

Pinkie

New in Town
I got some ornaments last year on sale from Target. They are made to look like vintage ornaments. The ones below are a sparkly starburst that I got in green and silver and one that looks like the old glass ones, but is made of plastic. We decorated our real christmas tree in pink, silver, and green ornaments this year.
DSC01892.jpg
DSC01895.jpg

I also bought a 3 foot tall pink artificial tree with pink lights! I am waiting to buy the 7 foot tall one too, I love it! I also got a pink wreath that matches the tree. Here's what the pink tree looks like.
DSC01881.jpg
DSC01882.jpg

And this is my Marilyn ornament that my husband bought me for Valentine's day last year and I finally got to put it on the tree!
DSC01889.jpg

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Most of my family will be receiving mostly Avon items, which has allowed me to shop without leaving the house and get 50% off. I haven't started decorating yet as I've not had the time but I look forward to seeing others Christmas decor.

Pinkie, love the Marilyn ornament!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner