Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lady Gaga - 30's starlet?

Tatum

Practically Family
I personally find Amanda Palmer a much better example of 'female musicians who dare challenge established norms of beauty and femininity'.

Not to mention that she has the coolest "alternative" eyebrows on the planet... But she is definitely not a household name like Gaga. (Let's see who else knows who she is....)

Amanda+Palmer.jpg

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I know who Amanda Palmer is. Don't care for her :/

I like "Coin Operated Boy" and that's it. Something about her voice doesn't gel with me.....

I like Lady G, though. It doesn't matter to me that she's manufactured and copies everyone lol -- her music is fun and catchy and not to be taken too seriously.

Last edited:

m_luvsartdeco

One of the Regulars
I know who Amanda Palmer is. Don't care for her :/

I like "Coin Operated Boy" and that's it. Something about her voice doesn't gel with me.....

I know of her, even saw Dresden Dolls many years ago at the Orpheum...I'm not too crazy about her, though. I much rather listen to Jill Tracy when I want to listen to dark, piano, female fronted music....she's incredible and has a great voice. :)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Her oddness seems - again to me - studiously artificial and like a gimmick, rather than an expression of her personality.

I think it is definitely a reflection of her personality: the personality of a marketing genius who managed to distil what sells pop stars.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
A friend burned 2 Dresden Dolls CDs for me and I wasn't impressed at all. I liked "Coin Operated Boy", but even that I have to be in the mood for. Some modern female singers that do it for me: Marti Brom, Kim Lenz, Siouxsie, Lady Gaga, and Beth Ditto.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I think Beth is an even better example of a female singer challenging conventions ;) But, alas, she is not a household name, either.

tumblr_lv10b2xflE1r4fwe3o1_500.jpg

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Just goes to show you that silly gimmicks are far from a modern invention (or affliction, depending on who you ask)

Exactly! Never understood the "Gaga is manufactured" statement. All celebrities are manufactured to a point. Golden Era celebrities were probably more manufactured than anyone today! They obeyed or they became a has-been, just like today.

Flicka

One Too Many
Exactly! Never understood the "Gaga is manufactured" statement. All celebrities are manufactured to a point. Golden Era celebrities were probably more manufactured than anyone today! They obeyed or they became a has-been, just like today.

I think what makes me roll my eyes at Gaga is the same thing that makes me giggle at Marilyn Manson. It's the manufactured "Oh, I'm so daring and edgy and special" that I find ridiculous. It's fine to be a brand and a commodity, but they pretend like they're about being edgy and real, and then they open themselves up to criticism by virtue of their own message.

Musically, Gaga is just not my genre.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Lady Gaga fully admits she has a team that creates her outfits and antics. She doesn't think she is "special and edgy." She knows she is an entertainer with a gimmick. Her hardcore fans, on the other hand....they're another story lol I'll admit they can be annoying and try to make her into something she isn't -- the whole "edgy and special" thing comes mostly from them lol.

The same could be said for any gimmicky entertainer on any scale, including Amanda Palmer and Beth Ditto. II know plenty of people who think both of them are "trying too hard" to be different and break conventions.

Entertainers are entertainers. I try not to take them too seriously. It's all an act and it's what I turn to to have fun or relax. I don't care really how true they are to their causes -- gimmicks make them fun! Just give me a good song and I'm there :)

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Her hardcore fans, on the other hand....they're another story lol I'll admit they can be annoying and try to make her into something she isn't -- the whole "edgy and special" thing comes mostly from them lol.

I'd also like to add that many of these fans haven't been exposed to "real" "edgy" entertainers who are probably truer to their causes than Gaga. To them, Gaga IS "edgy" amongst all the fake-n-bake blondes and homogenized hip hop stars.

Maudelynn

Familiar Face
to be honest i really don't like lady gaga, she tries way to hard to be "different" and its annoying, i hate how she wears somewhat vintage clothing but its also with a space creature feel to it as well and then she put something stupid on like a suit of meat..... eww........ and to be quite honest i don't think she looks very ladylike, she has harsh, sharp features (not in the pretty way) and she has an adams apple..... idk any past beauties with adams apples haha... and I'm sorry but in that dress she look like something out of star trek haha. I'm not trying to sound rude, i just don't like the influence she has on the younger generations of today. haha i sound like my mom hahaha

I agree. And her music is not really anything I like either. She seems rather like a band wagon jumper.

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
Just goes to show you that silly gimmicks are far from a modern invention (or affliction, depending on who you ask)

hahaha i know this post is old, but im bored haha yes these outfits resemble lady gaga's style, but remember these women in the pictures are stage performers or show girls haha those clothes weren't apart of their everyday attire hahaha. im all for being yourself and being unique to yourself and not caring what others think because thats how it should be haha, but in my opinion lady gaga just acts that way for the media, because in reality her oddness is what makes her money and made her famous in the first place, so i think she takes it over the top on purpose for the media attention. i do believe she is a unique person but i definitely don't believe the way she portrays herself to the public is really a reflection of her personality, its more of a reflection of what her fans expect from her. of-course this is just my opinion haha and i know allot of people look up to her and like her style and music haha she is a household name for a reason haha im just not a fan myself haha the only time i could say i liked her music was when she sang just her and the piano, i can even admit that was very talented :) but that is just my opinion :) in reality allot of people love her and that is probably for a reason, even if i don't see it haha :p there are many forms of art/music/fashion and no one has any grounds to call it "ugly" or "bad" because all art is different and unique to itself, so there is no such thing as bad art, there are just different tastes and opinions :)

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
I'd also like to add that many of these fans haven't been exposed to "real" "edgy" entertainers who are probably truer to their causes than Gaga. To them, Gaga IS "edgy" amongst all the fake-n-bake blondes and homogenized hip hop stars.

hahahahha fake-n-bake's there are alot of those now-and-days huh? haha i do agree that she is way way wayyyy better then those thinggggs haha

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
hahaha i know this post is old, but im bored haha yes these outfits resemble lady gaga's style, but remember these women in the pictures are stage performers or show girls haha those clothes weren't apart of their everyday attire hahaha. im all for being yourself and being unique to yourself and not caring what others think because thats how it should be haha, but in my opinion lady gaga just acts that way for the media, because in reality her oddness is what makes her money and made her famous in the first place, so i think she takes it over the top on purpose for the media attention. i do believe she is a unique person but i definitely don't believe the way she portrays herself to the public is really a reflection of her personality, its more of a reflection of what her fans expect from her. of-course this is just my opinion haha and i know allot of people look up to her and like her style and music haha she is a household name for a reason haha im just not a fan myself haha the only time i could say i liked her music was when she sang just her and the piano, i can even admit that was very talented :) but that is just my opinion :) in reality allot of people love her and that is probably for a reason, even if i don't see it haha :p there are many forms of art/music/fashion and no one has any grounds to call it "ugly" or "bad" because all art is different and unique to itself, so there is no such thing as bad art, there are just different tastes and opinions :)

Lady Gaga is a showgirl. I'm sure she does not sleep in her strange outfits. And you just described every celebrity ever. Their job is to give the fans what they want or risk becoming a has-been. Ever read up on silent film star Alla Nazimova and/or watch any of her films? She was most certainly the "Lady Gaga" of the 1920s -- probably worse! She was famous for her over-the-top costumes, "high art" films, and her notorious parties at her Garden of Alla estate, where orgies and free sex supposedly reigned. Alla was also an admitted bisexual.

Lady Gaga, as far as I know, isn't into free sex and orgies. If she is she keeps it very quiet so as not to ruin her reputation. And yes, Lady Gaga has "borrowed" from Alla. Whether she knows it or not is a different story lol

be65b276-68b2-44ce-9f90-2b3ced478830

I like Lady Gaga. Her music is fun and it reminds me of going to the shore when I was a child. I like that she preaches acceptance and love to her younger fans. I like that she might inspire someone to become creative. When I was a little girl I had Cyndi Lauper. Thanks to her I'm the nutter I am today :D

Last edited:

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
Lady Gaga is a showgirl. I'm sure she does not sleep in her strange outfits. And you just described every celebrity ever. Their job is to give the fans what they want or risk becoming a has-been. Ever read up on silent film star Alla Nazimova and/or watch any of her films? She was most certainly the "Lady Gaga" of the 1920s -- probably worse! She was famous for her over-the-top costumes, "high art" films, and her notorious parties at her Garden of Alla estate, where orgies and free sex supposedly reigned. Alla was also an admitted bisexual.

Lady Gaga, as far as I know, isn't into free sex and orgies. If she is she keeps it very quiet so as not to ruin her reputation. And yes, Lady Gaga has "borrowed" from Alla. Whether she knows it or not is a different story lol

be65b276-68b2-44ce-9f90-2b3ced478830

I like Lady Gaga. Her music is fun and it reminds me of going to the shore when I was a child. I like that she preaches acceptance and love to her younger fans. I like that she might inspire someone to become creative. When I was a little girl I had Cyndi Lauper. Thanks to her I'm the nutter I am today :D

hahahaha wow i never realized how similar those two look! :) yes i love that she does preach acceptance and i also like how she isnt a boob-jobed up plastic creation of Hollywood haha i do agree with the fact she does spark inspiration in young children, its just for me there is just something about her that comes off not good to me hahaha and i have to be honest i have only herd 2 of her songs so i cant judge her music haha but like i said it just my opinion i but she is a lovely person in person, i just dont like her media personality :)

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
I think what makes me roll my eyes at Gaga is the same thing that makes me giggle at Marilyn Manson. It's the manufactured "Oh, I'm so daring and edgy and special" that I find ridiculous. It's fine to be a brand and a commodity, but they pretend like they're about being edgy and real, and then they open themselves up to criticism by virtue of their own message.

Musically, Gaga is just not my genre.

hahaha i agree :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy