Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladylike drinks for the ladies?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I like ladylike drinks, because I have a ridiculous sweet tooth. I like Grasshoppers and Screwdrivers and Cuba Libres as well as your garden-variety rum-and-cokes and stuff like that.

I like ales, too, but not Guinness, which always seems "chewy" to me, sorry everyone.

And I like zinfendels. And my dear sweet (disgusting, to anyone who knows wine) Manischewitz wine, especially in blackberry. And cherry cordial.

And I pour creme de menthe into green tea, and that's really good.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
My wife's top three drinks are:
1) Pimms & Lemonade (still have persuaded her that Plymouth Fruit Cup and Ginger Ale is superior)
2) Scotch Whisky mostly single malt but she like some Blends like Johnny Walker Black Label.
3) Absinthe, with water and sugar

I know a few ladies that like Pernod and a couple who are partial to a Brandy Alexander.

I also just found this:

http://www.in-the-spirit.co.uk/cocktail_gems.html

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
babycham_70.jpg

"She'd love a Babycham, add Advocat and hey presto a snowball"

armod

Familiar Face
perhaps try a drink they serve in a bar here in perth called a green lantern.

made with green chartreuse, lychee liqueur, redbull and a squeeze of lime.

it does have a sweet note from the lychee but the chartreuse give it that spicy peppery taste the redbull adds a fizz and the lime gives it all a fresh kick.

it's one of my favourites and my bourbon drinking lady friends usually agree with me

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As above.

Babycham or a glass of crisp white wine (nice Pinot, Chardonnay or Sauvignon is fairly safe). Or a nice cocktail is very becoming of an evening.

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
I think ladies should be able to enjoy whatever they like. It's how they carry themselves that makes them ladies. But I'll have to admit, there's nothing sexier than a lady drinking out of a martini glass . . . a Cosmopolitan maybe.

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Some of my personal favorite drinks (and I'm a girl!):

Champagne Apricato - champagne, gin, apricot liqueur, lemon juice
Pink Lady - Gin, Egg White, dash of grenadine, and heavy cream OR lemon juice
Madras - vodka, orange juice, cranberry juice (easy!)
Kir Royale - champagne, chambord or creme de cassis

I like sweet things, and I cant do brown liquors at all...not much of a beer person, either...

armod

Familiar Face
also a campari and ginger ale. (campari has a distinct bitter fruity taste)

or a highball (canadian wiskey and ginger ale)

Mrs Bentley

New in Town
Ladylike drinks

Ethan Bentley said:
My wife's top three drinks are:
1) Pimms & Lemonade (still have persuaded her that Plymouth Fruit Cup and Ginger Ale is superior)
2) Scotch Whisky mostly single malt but she like some Blends like Johnny Walker Black Label.
3) Absinthe, with water and sugar
Those certainly are my top three, although my number one preference at any given moment is likely to differ, depending upon my mood.

I have to admit, I was caught out by the apparent need to drink "ladylike" beverages when I was younger, but since I found most too sweet or creamy, I became disheartened and settled on a staple drink of rum and cola; I might not have enjoyed it that much, but all bars served it and nobody had trouble pronouncing it. Then I met Ethan, who both introduced me to many drinks that I wouldn't have otherwise tried and reassured me that anyone either buying or selling me a drink would probably prefer that I enjoy it more than anything else. So now I drink whatever I feel I'm going to enjoy most at the time (or try something new!).

Regarding my favourites:
1. Pimm's & lemonade - definitely the most "girly" of my list;
2. Scotch whisky - I generally have to add a few drops of water to it, but once I've got it just right, it's a wonderful drink to have conversation over, especially on cold evenings after long walks.
3. Absinthe - I have a bit of a reputation as being a non-drinker, so most people are very surprised to hear about this one, but I genuinely like the flavour (and the colour!).

I can't drink many of either 2 or 3, so generally stick to Pimm's unless I can take my time.

Looking at my choices again, I realise that I don't have the problem posed by quantity, i.e. having to hold and drink from a pint glass gracefully, which I think would be the only thing that I would be at all worried about nowadays; I have quite small hands and so even having a pint of orange juice can make me feel a tad silly, but not to the point where I'd order two half glasses! I don't like any of the beers or ales that I've tried, so that's why I don't drink those, though.

swinggal

One Too Many
Hmmm...I love cocktails. We have one of the best Tiki bars on the planet here in Perth called the Hula Bula Bar and love sampling their wares.
http://www.hulabulabar.com/

My fav cocktails/liquers etc (love the sweet ones):

- Mojito (best one I ever had was in Miami made by a Cuban barman)
- Caprioska
- Pina Colada
- Gin and Tonic (Tanqueray only for me)
- Brandy and Dry
- Sloe Gin Fizz
- Cinnamon Schnaaps (on the rocks)
- Mai Tai
- The Hula Bula Bar's 'Shrunken Head' which is gold and dark rums, fresh lime juice and bloodberry syrup blended with crushed ice.

Beer I like too (and has to be icy cold in ALL cases):

- Hoegaarden (white beer)
- Kilkenny
- Guiness (tap only)
- Little Creatures Pale Ale
- Dos Equis
- Sol
- Redback

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
I often play bartender at parties, and once saw a bunch of guys discover that they like cosmo's.

I don't really buy into the whole "assigning gender roles to drinks" thing. Just because I've seen enough guys drink "girly" mixed drinks and enough girls drink from a bottle of whiskey.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Helen Troy said:
Inspired by a coment in another thread, I started wondering: Do ladies have to drink ladylike drinks? Do true ladies make a point to do that?

Let's hear your thoughts!

I am no expert my any means, but what is a ladylike drink? is it a "sweet" drink? is that ladylike? a drink with an umbrella in it? :rolleyes: I doubt it...

What is ladylike anyway..... ---:eek: (no don't tell me lol )

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
btw, here is a really sweet cocktail that I made up, maybe it's only because of the name, but all my male friends love it

***** Galore (The bond girl from Goldfinger, i'm afraid to type her name here lol)
2 oz limeade
1 oz vodka
shake over ice
pour
add a few drops of lime juice
garnish with lime slice if desired

Mojito

One Too Many
CigarMan said:
I think ladies should be able to enjoy whatever they like. It's how they carry themselves that makes them ladies. But I'll have to admit, there's nothing sexier than a lady drinking out of a martini glass . . . a Cosmopolitan maybe.

Ah yes...the Cosmo is an ubergurlie drink!

NapierDay3Cocktail-2.jpg

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My drink of choice usually is a Cape Cod. Simple and I love me some vodka. I also love all kinds of beers, but especially Hefeweizens and Belgian beers like Duvel and Chimay. Lately though I haven't been hanging out in the classiest of joints, so I usually have a can of PBR in my hand!

I'm going to try to start trying some gin drinks as I can't stand whiskey (too many ridiculous nights from that stuff), but vodka gets a little repetitive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner