Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Langlitz Cascade vs Crescent

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Mr. No-Toes,
ok, before my envelope lands on their table then whats your hands on top pick. I can have only one and I want a soft and wonderful leather coat. Would you go Goat or medium cowhide. I assume not heavy since I have a LW Horsehide for weight.

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Mr. No-Toes,
ok, before my envelope lands on their table then whats your hands on top pick. I can have only one and I want a soft and wonderful leather coat. Would you go Goat or medium cowhide. I assume not heavy since I have a LW Horsehide for weight.

Man, hard call there...If you've got a LW Horeshide you might prefer the goat. It's certainly soft, thick, and extremely durable. The mid weight steer samplesI have I carried with me for months squeezing them with my hand in my pocket and even left them out in my yard for about 8 months to see how they'd behave and I have to say, they soften up a lot, as much as the goat, but retain the great look and feel of broken in steer. I love the dark brown steerhide but I also don't have a nice LW Horse to enjoy also, like you. If I were you, I go goat with Langlitz. I like the dark brown goat a great deal, the light brown too. There's plenty of shots of both the dark brown goat and the black goat on the first link I posted if you want a visual. Many of those pics are of new jackets so you are seeing the new, unbroken-in character rather than what they'd look like after a few years. But there are some older goat hide jackets on there as well if you click around. Langlitz will shoot you out a pile of samples as well if you want to be sure. Either way, you're in for something exceptional. Hope this helps.

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
use google translator to open the page and you can read the descriptions of the jacket builds. First one up is dark brown goat, the very last is, if I recall, black goat. There's one that's black goat after 5 years of wear too.

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
BTW, are you using this for riding? Most of the jackets on that Japanese site are more fashion over function. I like the design of some but would not want to wreck in one, unless it was a more purpose built bike jacket Langltiz offers. Scott at Langlitz can guide you expertly however.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Head to PDX on a weekday and try em both on!

Personally, I gotta go with Crescent: my vtg 1981 light brown steerhide is pretty damn close to a perfect jacket (tho about a 1/2" too long in sleeves, cause I got it used- been meaning to take it in and get shortened). On the other hand, Cascade with cossack collar is the more "signature" Langlitz- Crescent is a bit more of a standard cafe- though the best I've ever owned by far.

dortiz

One of the Regulars
I am in Virginia so its a bit far for a pop in. I think Scott will get it right. I went with the Cascade but in a straight zip. Their Crescent is a bit longer looking than I want. The Cascade with a straight zip should look like a clean cafe racer.

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
Langlitz told me that if one is using the jacket for motorcycling then the Cresent is not recommended, so it sounds like you made a good choice. The leather samples arrived today and I think I'll probably go with the goat.

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Found this thread late.. just thought I'd throw in a pic of my straight zip Cascade. I own two jackets from Langlitz and both fit me better than any other leather jackets I own...especially when sitting on a bike.

DSC01752.jpg

mtds

New in Town
Here's a Crescent from the 80's

This one was made for me in the 80's. At the time the options I chose were the dress collar, non-zip slash pockets, and a second inside pocket. I also asked for a non-motorocycling fit and they came through beautifully. It made a good general use jacket. Langlitz has made four jackets for me, starting in 1972, and every one has been a gem. My only advice would be to stick close to their basic designs.

Crefnrtunzip.jpg

(Hey, Tommer45!)

Last edited:

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
mtds, I love the standard dark brown steer they have. I'm toying with the idea of getting one build in the heavy steer. I have a sample that I've been carrying around. Would take a year to break in but I'd be game for it.
Tommer, I've seen that jacket here before in another thread. I remember you dyed it to get it a little darker. Looks great man. I like the wear on it.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
That brown looks incredible. I have an order for a cascade in black mid weight steer with tan stitching...now having second thoughts. BTW, the heavy steer is extremely heavy, better for race leathers if you ask me. The goat is really top grade, but it wont get a patina like the steer....but will look new forever, which is not necessarily a bad thing in its own right. Gotta love Langlitz, so glad that they didn't sell out like a lot of the other (previously) good USA brands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner