Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Langlitz Cascade vs Crescent

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Ok, going Langlitz and torn between these two styles. Any body have pics or recommendations?

Thanks!

Dave O.

Metatron

One Too Many
Their website could use better photos and slimmer models. I've heard great things about them, but I also appreciate those who make an effort with presentation.

IXL

One Too Many
I'm going with the Cascade, but it might be a little bit longer before I order. This last Saturday, my wife and I went to the dealership to get her an armor back pad for one of her jackets....and left with a receipt for a brand-new Sportster 1200 Custom: V&H pipes, locking leather saddlebags, windshield,three-tone paint, etc. She already has a Deluxe.....
Of course, there is that padded Pocket-Columbia!!.....Nope, it's the Cascade with offset zipper.

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Nice!!

I think I am going Cascade but I cant get over the angled zipper. I know the function is there but it just screams 80s to me. Think I will have to ask for a regular zipper.

IXL

One Too Many
Just did an image search for 80's zippered jackets. After viewing a couple hundred, there was one listed as " 1980's vintage jacket", that had an offset. And there was one listed as a "Clark Danes 1950's jacket". I do remember lots of jackets with zippers, just not a lot with offset ones, at least not around here. Do be aware that Oklahoma is not one of the world's fashion capitals, so what do I know from nothin'!

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Langlitz Cascade versus Crescent

Hi Dortiz,

Are you planning on going with the standard jacket or are you going to customize the order? These are very different jackets with the Crescent being a straight-zip Cafe Racer and the Cascade having the offset zipper for better temperature control/airflow if you're riding a motorcycle. The Crescent has a bi-swing back and the Cascade has a semi-bi-swing below the yoke. If the jacket is for motorcycle riding I'd recommend the Cascade due to the zipper configuration.

Depending on your fashion/function requirements you can make a lot of changes to either jacket. For example, straight zip on the Cascade, remove the bi-swing, stitch the bi-swing on the Crescent shut, etc. If it's strictly for riding I'd suggest the standard Cascade or even a Columbia as the way to go. Give Langlitz a call when you sort out what your primary decision points are and they will be extremely helpful in offering advice on what options to get.

What hide are you thinking of building the jacket out of? Langlitz's goatskin is fantastic. It's slightly lighter than their mid-weight cowhide, is comfortable immediately, and breaks in and loses it's pleather look within a couple days to a week of wear. Their mid-weight cow is also a fantastic choice but takes a longer to break in. I talked to Langlitz about their heavy weight cow because I like a substantial jacket. They sent samples - it's very heavy-duty - and mentioned they only make 1-2 jackets a year out of it and it takes a long time to break in.

Langlitz's web presence and catalog are underwhelming but their customer service and product are top-notch. Give them a call to have them send you an order sheet and their print catalog. Check out there Japan site to get a handle on some of you real options - http://langlitzjapan.com/custommade.html. Langlitz also has different color choices available in goat that aren't on the Japan site or on the website. You need to call them in Portland to find out what they have.

Cheers

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Thanks, very good info. I just cant get over the look of the Cascade when that zipper is half or fully open. Big Lapels are not my thing. I am a Cafe Racer guy. At the Same time the Crescent is cut too long. Going to try the Cascade with a straight zipper. I saw some of those Japan photos and the jackets fit much better than others I have seen.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Thanks, very good info. I just cant get over the look of the Cascade when that zipper is half or fully open. Big Lapels are not my thing. I am a Cafe Racer guy. At the Same time the Crescent is cut too long. Going to try the Cascade with a straight zipper. I saw some of those Japan photos and the jackets fit much better than others I have seen.

Regarding the jacket length - When you order from Langlitz they'll have you fill out an order form with ~13 physical measurements of yourself with respect to your dimensions, how you want the jacket to fit, and your riding position if you intend to use the jacket on a motorcycle. You'll be able to direct most every aspect of the fit including sleeve length and overall length. Most of the Cascade examples I've seen are made for people who ride sport bikes (read short in front and longer in the back for a proper fit in a riding position). If your needs and tastes differ Langlitz will accommodate this when they build the jacket.

Cheers

IXL

One Too Many
Does anyone have any images of the Cascade model, with the cossack collar, that is in a partially or fully unzipped condition? After dortiz mentioned the look, I realized I haven't seen this jacket unzipped?

dortiz

One of the Regulars
CascadeCossackOpen.jpg
[/IMG]

zaman fu

Familiar Face
The asymmetric zip looks much better zipped up all the way. I'd go for the straight zip and maybe add a basic collar, although all I see offered by Langlitz is the "dress collar," which I don't care for.

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Thats exactly what I thought. While very cool zipped up fully I just dont like the half open or worse the look after I hopped off the bike and went in to the bar and wanted to leave it unzipped.
Its funny because Langlitz has put up with about 20 emails and even was kind enough to send me that pic. It was not meant to be I am sure, yet an odd thing was that with the pic was the comment "Classic Langlitz Look". Now I am really wondering if I should order because I feel like I am trying to make a coat not be what it is. Just weirded me out because I realized their styling is just not mine.
Curious, anyone else make a nice Goat Skin cafe Racer?

I never had the genes for the typical biker jacket in this form. I'm not even sure I like them on guys like Brando. But to each his/her own. If you can rock it and love it, more power to you! I just never felt "rebel" enough for one...

kyboots

Practically Family
The asymmetric zip looks much better zipped up all the way. I'd go for the straight zip and maybe add a basic collar, although all I see offered by Langlitz is the "dress collar," which I don't care for.
Guys that asymetric zip is the same look as a "Bootlegger" and with the so called "dress collar" would look like my Aero Bootlegger jacket which I love. This style "unzipped" still looks great; unzipped or not. Other than the fact mine is an Aero Bootlegger horsehide jacket with the "Langlitz dress collar" there is not much one can do to make these different. At first I too did not want the collar ( a little 1970's ), but there are sure some winter days that I am glad to have it. I also would not worry about the unzipped asymetrical zipper, because it looks good zipped or not. I think you will enjoy this jacket and it can be a little different.It never hurts to be a little different. Anyone can have a leather jacket with a straight front zipper ( yawn! ). Would vote for the original. Be certain and send pictures of which one you choose.Thanks for hearing , "My Opinion". Good Luck! Dare to be Great!--- John

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred