Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit Check: Iron Heart A-2 Deck Jacket

NE202DC

Familiar Face
I'm torn on this IH A-2 Deck Jacket I picked up recently. The body fits great and the jacket itself is incredibly nice and well constructed. It's also comfy. However, the sleeves are really bothering me. They are slightly long and seems to bunch up between the elbow and the shoulder, making it look like I have puffy upper arms. I went to a tailor, and they said it was how the arm hole was constructed.

Any thoughts from those who own A-2s? Is this normal? How does the current fit look?

I don't want to to throw in the towel and return it, but I may have to if it just looks too damn weird.

For reference, I am 5'6" and this is a size Small.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231210_135807_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210_135807_Gallery.jpg
    977.4 KB · Views: 193
  • Screenshot_20231210_135621_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210_135621_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 178
  • Screenshot_20231210_135139_Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210_135139_Photo Editor.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Screenshot_20231210_135037_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210_135037_Gallery.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 147
  • 20231210_131422.jpg
    20231210_131422.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 145
  • 20231210_131342.jpg
    20231210_131342.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 144
  • 20231210_131328.jpg
    20231210_131328.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 144
  • 20231210_130811.jpg
    20231210_130811.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 132
  • 20231205_123940.jpg
    20231205_123940.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 127
  • 20231205_123740.jpg
    20231205_123740.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 178
Last edited:

thor

One Too Many
Looks ok; however you could easily find a genuine Navy-issue A-2 deck jacket on eBay or in vintage clothing or Army-Navy stores. Many are in good/very good condition at very reasonable prices (except for the hard to find bigger sizes, XL or XXL).

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I see your dilemma, it’s a well made jacket but the sleeves are a bit long. Can you fold the cuff inward a bit? Would it interfere with the storm cuffs if you do that? If not then maybe you can just “re-hem” the sleeves and thats much easier alteration than redo the lining and storm cuffs too.

NE202DC

Familiar Face
I see your dilemma, it’s a well made jacket but the sleeves are a bit long. Can you fold the cuff inward a bit? Would it interfere with the storm cuffs if you do that? If not then maybe you can just “re-hem” the sleeves and thats much easier alteration than redo the lining and storm cuffs too.
I can fold the sleeves a small amount. It makes a small difference but not much. I did go to a tailor, who took a quick look at it and said the issue appeared to be with the arm holes where the sleeve and shoulders met. It's too small, so I would need to size up so she could have additional materials to fix it. However, that would require further alterations (length, etc.) and wasn't really economical.

I'm probably going to return it, but I wanted to get some additional eyes on it before I do. I know IH makes their products for the motorcycle crowd (longer arms, pocket placement), but it seems like bizarre for a A-2 deck jacket.

All this being said, it is a NICE jacket. Very comfy and well made. If it fit just a tad bit better, I wouldn't even be considering returning.

I'll likely get a BR A-2 as soon as they're stateside.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yeah return and look for another. Changing the arm holes is a huge job.
Theres also DeHan brand, they use real mouton for the lining. The buzz one is acrylic like the military issue I believe.

Im looking at upgrading my A2 deck jacket too. The Design is very classy with the point collar and extra chest pocket.

NE202DC

Familiar Face
Yeah return and look for another. Changing the arm holes is a huge job.
Theres also DeHan brand, they use real mouton for the lining. The buzz one is acrylic like the military issue I believe.

Im looking at upgrading my A2 deck jacket too. The Design is very classy with the point collar and extra chest pocket.
I'll have to look at DeHan. I hadn't heard of them before.

I have a BR from a few years back--it no longer fits and I look like a 40-year-old man wearing his bigger brother's jacket haha. I should probably try to re-sell it on here.

NE202DC

Familiar Face
Well, the sleeves are definitely long on you. How much do you care? Plenty of other A2s in the sea….
Likely returning it and waiting for this year's Buzz Rickson jackets to come out. I'm open to other brand suggestions as well.

NE202DC

Familiar Face
Looks ok; however you could easily find a genuine Navy-issue A-2 deck jacket on eBay or in vintage clothing or Army-Navy stores. Many are in good/very good condition at very reasonable prices (except for the hard to find bigger sizes, XL or XXL).
"Luckily" (?) I'm short, so needing an XL or XXL won't be necessary. I'll check out eBay to see what's out there. Ty!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
seems like your figure is not suitable with the pattern of these jackets, from another WYDYWT thread I see IH has slimmed down the sleeve from the original and also perhaps make it more square & hanging down too compared to more spreading sleeve of the original, I personally think if you want to make these jacket works for your figure perhaps a light shoulder padding might do wonder.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
For whats its worth I think it looks great - these were miltary issue jackets for people of all sizes and shapes, not tailored high end fashion, so there is no 'correct' fit imo - if its comfortable I'd keep it

4444Design

One of the Regulars
This is how my original A2 looks like ...

Size is a "Large" (42 - 44) - i'm 1.90 weight is 100 kgs

TJjGUN1.jpg

6AuFcoK.jpg

I'd go with the advice of some folks before: return it and check for an original jacket. There are still available relatively easy and reasonably priced - makes more sense than a repop for me

and final i support the opinion of @BloodEagle : these garments have never been meant to fit an individual but an average so might happen it doesn't fit specific body-dimensions

NE202DC

Familiar Face
This is how my original A2 looks like ...

Size is a "Large" (42 - 44) - i'm 1.90 weight is 100 kgs

TJjGUN1.jpg

6AuFcoK.jpg

Well, the sleeves are definitely long on you. How much do you care? Plenty of other A2s in the sea….

I'd go with the advice of some folks before: return it and check for an original jacket. There are still available relatively easy and reasonably priced - makes more sense than a repop for me

and final i support the opinion of @BloodEagle : these garments have never been meant to fit an individual but an average so might happen it doesn't fit specific body-dimensions
That's a fantastic jacket you have there. Is ebay or military surplus shops the best places to look for originals?

The gentleman at History Preservation said the same thing you and @BloodEagle said about the fit: Deck Jackets aren't really supposed to fit specific to an individual, are generally a little bigger, and it really comes down to what I want. Functionality (originals, Buzz, RMC, etc.) vs. aesthetics (Iron Heart, other modern takes). That being said, he did think this one was slightly big on me.

What pants are those? Those a really nice as well.

NE202DC

Familiar Face
For whats its worth I think it looks great - these were miltary issue jackets for people of all sizes and shapes, not tailored high end fashion, so there is no 'correct' fit imo - if its comfortable I'd keep it
It is very comfortable and fits great other than the sleeves. The tailor I brought it to was perplexed as to why they made the sleeves and armholes the way they did.

I guess my main issue is that I'm in DC, so the weather fluctuates in the winter between very cold (20s-30s) and quite moderate (40s-50s). My RMC N-1 is for the really cold days, and the A-2 was going to be for those more intermediate times, so I wasn't planning to layer much with the A-2. If I was going to layer all the time, I doubt it would bug me as much.

NE202DC

Familiar Face
seems like your figure is not suitable with the pattern of these jackets, from another WYDYWT thread I see IH has slimmed down the sleeve from the original and also perhaps make it more square & hanging down too compared to more spreading sleeve of the original, I personally think if you want to make these jacket works for your figure perhaps a light shoulder padding might do wonder.
It's weird. The sleeve is wider above the elbow and then seems to taper significantly below the elbow.

Edward

Bartender

That's where I'd be at. I'm very much not a fan of the trend to make all these military styles tailored-fit, and 'perfect' to the individual - takes it away from the utilitarian appeal of a mass-produced, uniform piece for me. Still, horses for courses.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Any thought on sizing down? Looks like you’ve got plenty of room to do so.

Also, the folks at IH are absolutely great to work with. You can request them to try and find you a jacket with shorter sleeves. I’ve done this before with different jackets and shirts with pretty good success. The published size chart is taken from an average of measuring a few pieces of each size.

NE202DC

Familiar Face
Any thought on sizing down? Looks like you’ve got plenty of room to do so.

Also, the folks at IH are absolutely great to work with. You can request them to try and find you a jacket with shorter sleeves. I’ve done this before with different jackets and shirts with pretty good success. The published size chart is taken from an average of measuring a few pieces of each size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner