Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit Check: Iron Heart A-2 Deck Jacket

NE202DC

Familiar Face
I emailed them and they were very responsive. They said I could size down, but they also thought the size I had would be a better fit than the smaller size.

The other issue is that I purchased it from one of their stockists who doesn't have a smaller size. They might be able to special order one for me, but I'm not sure if I could return it if the XS did not fit. One of the reasons I'm also on the fence is because I'll only get store credit instead of a refund. That's fine, but it also means I'll be shelling out an additional 200-400 on another A-2 (likely the BR). If I was getting cash back, I'd be more inclined to just return it and call it a day.

NE202DC

Familiar Face
That's where I'd be at. I'm very much not a fan of the trend to make all these military styles tailored-fit, and 'perfect' to the individual - takes it away from the utilitarian appeal of a mass-produced, uniform piece for me. Still, horses for courses.
I agree. I have my N-1, which fits like a N-1 should fit, so I was looking for a similar option that was slightly more--I don't want to say aesthetically pleasing-- but "fitted," I suppose. Something I could wear without layers. I have a great A-2 from BR (see attached) that I used to wear for that purpose, but I lost about 45 lbs since I purchased it. I suppose I could keep this one and order a BR one as well, but do I need two olive A-2's? Want? Absolutely. Need? Probably not.

On that note: anyone looking for a BR A-2 in XL? :)

Attachments

• 20231101_182727.jpg
    20231101_182727.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
  • 20231101_182738.jpg
    20231101_182738.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I emailed them and they were very responsive. They said I could size down, but they also thought the size I had would be a better fit than the smaller size.

The other issue is that I purchased it from one of their stockists who doesn't have a smaller size. They might be able to special order one for me, but I'm not sure if I could return it if the XS did not fit. One of the reasons I'm also on the fence is because I'll only get store credit instead of a refund. That's fine, but it also means I'll be shelling out an additional 200-400 on another A-2 (likely the BR). If I was getting cash back, I'd be more inclined to just return it and call it a day.
This makes a lot of sense now.

Knowing this, I would still suggest to return it even for store credit. IH has a lot of stuff you may want to have down the road, so I think you're safe there.

Having to spend extra bucks for another A2 deck jacket blows, but if the IH doesn't fit you in terms of comfort (compared to your old one), then return it because the cutting doesn't work and there are ones that do and you know that already.

CatsCan

Practically Family
I did go to a tailor, who took a quick look at it and said the issue appeared to be with the arm holes where the sleeve and shoulders met. It's too small, so I would need to size up so she could have additional materials to fix it. However, that would require further alterations (length, etc.) and wasn't really economical.
I think, you and most people here are right. It looks wrong.
If it was a cheap grab, I would wash it, wear it, wash it until it molds to your shape. But this is not a cheap grab and it should fit you right from the start.
With respect, I don't agree with your tailor. The sleeves are too tight at your lower arms and too wide in your upper plus the arm holes are too big rather than too small, the sleeves are probably angled too acute, thus when you lift your arms, the sleeves want to ride up, get stuck in a higher-on-your-arm position and when you lower your arms again, they are bunching up with their excessive material. In short, sleeves and armhole position don't fit you well enough to keep this jacket. You would not wear it after all. Sizing down would bring the armholes up and closer to your pits but I guess, the lower part of the sleeves will be even more on the tight side. The jackets pit should sit right below your natural pit in order to move your arm freely without the sleeve riding up. This is your natural hinge and the bigger the distance between this hinge and the hinge of the jacket/sleeve arrangement, the harder is it for the sleeve to follow your movement.
I guess the cut is different proportionally compared to originals.
I'd say return it and like what was said before me, get a nice clean original or Buzz Rickson's A-2 in the size you have now. Otherwise it's a good looking jacket imo. Buzz Rickson and Bronson seem to be quite true to the proportions of originals.

Cats

CatsCan

Practically Family
Thomas original A-2 is a good example for jackets pits fitting to the natural pits.
I still contemplate about the statement that military garments are generally made to fit bigger to fit the average build. That is true, but the military was always after a good appearance of their troops, so even when you put on a bigger size than you'd normally need, you'd still look sharp. We'd joke, that they'd only draft the ones that fit into their clothing. There where guys with 75 kg and 175 cm with a natural waist in an optimal position, optimal body proportions. They could throw on them whatever they wanted in roughly their size and they looked good. I was never one of them.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is very comfortable and fits great other than the sleeves. The tailor I brought it to was perplexed as to why they made the sleeves and armholes the way they did.

I guess my main issue is that I'm in DC, so the weather fluctuates in the winter between very cold (20s-30s) and quite moderate (40s-50s). My RMC N-1 is for the really cold days, and the A-2 was going to be for those more intermediate times, so I wasn't planning to layer much with the A-2. If I was going to layer all the time, I doubt it would bug me as much.

Hello neighbor!

I'd go with HPA's recommendation; it's always been spot on for me. Plus their stuff has always reached DC within 24 hours for me, without fail, so you'll have your BR in no time.

4444Design

One of the Regulars
That's a fantastic jacket you have there. Is ebay or military surplus shops the best places to look for originals?

The gentleman at History Preservation said the same thing you and @BloodEagle said about the fit: Deck Jackets aren't really supposed to fit specific to an individual, are generally a little bigger, and it really comes down to what I want. Functionality (originals, Buzz, RMC, etc.) vs. aesthetics (Iron Heart, other modern takes). That being said, he did think this one was slightly big on me.

What pants are those? Those a really nice as well.

Sorry for the late reply - haven't been that active on the Fed-Lounge recently.

The specific jacket i wear was a trade in on another forum i visit. I think the fact that it has been used on a sub makes it kinda special which is also the reason that the price/tradevalue was relatively high.

Anyway i'd check on EBAY - use the phrase "permeable jacket" or "A2 deck jacket" and you wiull find plenty of A2 in all different sizes. Pricewise "plain" jackets should be on the lower pricerange whereas any markings or stencils make 'em more specific and the more rare the "branch of service" is (eg Submarine service / Diver / Seabees / ..." the higher the value + age.

You will find pricewise it is only a fraction of what BR or IH charges you.

Pants are surplus USN bell-bottoms which i purchased at "Sportsmansguide" about 10 yrs back.

4444Design

One of the Regulars
Identification of the very early (and high-priced) A2 is pretty easy:

the chest-pocket has a triangular flap opposed to the straight ones on later A2 - extremely early A2 have been produced using the same jungle cloth the N1 jackets have been made - but such specimens are rarely seen

My latest addition to the collection is a 1960ies A2 in "LARGE" which has previously belonged to Submarine USS SARGO / SSN583. Deck jackets typically have not been issued to an individual rather than to a vessel. Means not every serviceman owned one but used it when necessary.

43ubf0N.jpg

wb1hZjd.jpg

AGIfG1X.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner