Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Jacket Weight Question

Lbxpdx

New in Town
Hello all,
New guy here, though I have been using this site for research purposes for a while. I just picked up a Vanson a week or so ago and I have a few questions that I'm hoping you all can help me with. I live in the Portland Oregon area so I have had a few different Langlitz jackets over the years, but this is my first Vanson. I picked up an AR2 in MI9 brown because it was a beautiful shade of brown and I dig the cut. I bought it off of CL, but the guy who sold it is a member on this forum.
Jacket facts:
* weighs in around 7lbs
* it has the regular label
* made in 2011
* it was a demo jacket for a local BMW/Triumph shop
* per an old email conversation between the PO and Constantine at Vanson, it is MI9 brown

My question is this. When I emailed Vanson, they told me it was their medium weight leather. From what I've read, Medium weight is usually lighter and it would have different label. I stopped by Langlitz yesterday and they measured the sleeve gusset and he stated if the rest of the jacket is the same thickness, it is 4oz.

I do ride, so obviously I want thicker leather. I'm trying to figure out exactly what weight leather this jacket is. Thanks for any help. The first night I bought it, I was riding and the Vanson felt like armor, while my Langlitz felt like a silk robe.

Patrick

IMG_4498.jpeg
IMG_4499.jpeg

The true color is that above. This is washed out under fluorescent lights the night I bought it.
IMG_4354.jpeg

Peacoat

Bartender
If Langlitz measured it at 4 oz. that is what I would go with. The minimum for protection while riding is generally acknowledged to be 1.4 mm. A 4 oz. jacket comes in at 1.6 mm so you are good there. Also, if it feels like armor, then it is a heavy jacket, confirming that it is 4 oz. leather. Don't be concerned with what someone at Vanson told you.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Peacoat is right, some of the people at Vanson don’t really seem to know what they are talking about, especially when it comes to jackets they made years ago. Constantine was an awesome resource while he worked there but unfortunately he has moved on.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
100% Agree with both replies above. Nice jacket by the way.

"Show your Langlitz!" - you are very fortunate to be in their neighborhood. I prefer their Columbia to nearly everything else at this point. One that is made-to-measure for me should be incoming early next year.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Vanson Competition Weight leather is specced for 1.5mm thickness, but due to natural variation I expect it could be a tenth of a millimeter off, or so. So 1.6mm/4oz sounds about right.

Lbxpdx

New in Town
"Show your Langlitz!" - you are very fortunate to be in their neighborhood. I prefer their Columbia to nearly everything else at this point. One that is made-to-measure for me should be incoming early next year.

Here is my “free” Langlitz. I found two at a yard sale, paid $420 for both of them and sold the small one for $500.

Mid 80’s goatskin.

IMG_4503.jpeg
IMG_4504.jpeg
IMG_4527.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner