Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Langlitz cowhide scent? aroma?

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Hello
I have 2 Langlitz jackets both in cowhide. One is flight jacket and the other is columbia.
My flight jacket has this leather scent which was initially very strong when I first got it (which was more than 6 years ago). The aroma is now faint but still there.
However my Columbia does not.
So this got me wondering if this is normal. Do you guys have Langlitz cowhide that had strong aroma when you first got them?
Maybe it depends on which batch of cowhide the jacket was made from?
It's not a deal breaker and some may even prefer the strong leather aroma but I had to ask.
Looking for your opinion!

Thank you

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Different leathers have different properties to them, scent being one. I don't have an explanation but it sounds normal for two different leathers to have different odors.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Interesting. I have a Langlitz in rough-out cow, and the smell is: NONE. It´s pretty new, so this comes as quite a surprise, albeit not a problem as my wife usually complains about the "stench" of even the classiest Shinki...

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
The smell and other factors in leather is the direct result of the tanning process impact on the leather. Personally, I love the smell of it. However, what could help to remove the smell is to "air" it outside. In the old days, I used to hang my jacket under my porch, so the HOT sun would not hit it directly. After "airing" outside, if you are not satisfied with the results, an Ozone generator my do the trick.

Good luck

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The Cascade I got from their 75 year label has the waxy cowhide (From the Hide House). It has beautiful finish, hand and no smell (which I like).
If you have a custom jacket in order it doesn't hurt to ask for a small sample cut out of the current batch of the leather. It won't tell you much because of the small size but you can check if it has the smell you want or don't want.

Liveinstyle33

One of the Regulars
I can't answer your question, however since this topic is about leather aromas, I want to say that I do not like the smell of Vicenza Horsehide, or at least the only 1 particular jacket in Vicenza that I have ever handled in person. The most attractive smelling jacket I have ever smelled is an Oxford Vanson leather jacket in Abyss Blue Bainbridge cowhide, and I also love the smell of both steer and horsehide in Horween CXL. Never smelled a Langlitz though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto