Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Langlitz versus Cal-Leather....how wide is the gap? Asking for a friend

Bluechel

Practically Family
I just picked up a tremendous (for me) Cal off Fleabay with 28" arms that made me think of how similar the Langlitz styles are and I just tried to look for a detailed discussion here that probes the gap between the superb rep of Langlitz and the "pretty good" rep of Cal. Is the gap that wide and WHY?

I think Cal deserves and recieves far better than "pretty good". They both made/ make a very similar LAPD CHP. The best horsehide I've ever felt in my life (in terms of weight, structure and strength) was found in a Cal LAPD and a Ventura too come to think about it. I have only had one Langlitz, mid weight Columbia and it was nowhere near the quality of my Cals.

Tbh, both companies can swing and miss, I've had some questionable Cals too. I think modern Langlitz looks to be a better option than modern Cal. Both have produced superb motorcycle garments. all this to say that in my view, there is no gap. Both excellent.

Matter of preference. When talking vintage, I prefer Cals, and if you include the Star Glove heritage, I much prefer it. I’ve had a few Langlitz. The 50s cow was amazing. Teacore and beautiful. I’m not fond of their goat. Of course, I would love a green label Langlitz. I doubt I will ever find one in a price range I can stomach.

Modern, I would go Langlitz over Cal. But the 90s Cals were awesome too.

I agree with Ton- both have their misses. Both are spectacular. I just prefer, based on the jackets I have handled, true vintage Cals.

Bluechel

Practically Family
VERY appreciated! I needed to hear it directly from here, because I was surmising the same thing but I don't have NEAR the accumulation of the years of experience I can tap into here. The unlabeled Cal I just got has really made me very happy, and it's right there in the Langlitz class from what I have seen and held.

Overall, every single Cal that I've bought had left me more impressed than anything I've ever owned by Langlitz - Which isn't to say Langlitz makes a worse product, just that to me personally, Cal belongs in a tier that Langlitz neither wants nor currently can, occupy.

I don't know how current Cal compares but when it comes to older jackets, each time I bought a Cal, unboxing it came out as a shock of how crazy good these jackets are. . .

The only two Cals I have left. And only ones I will ever need. There are Langlitz out there that are as “good”, but imo none better.

3E314991-054B-4967-8617-5D0B08F06B5D.jpeg
811DFCD9-4606-4947-8730-BE2A9946E46A.jpeg
648A39CB-BCC6-47E4-99AA-05B05C55F4EF.jpeg

9AC92FA9-A30C-4A4C-A39B-ACFA56780B3D.jpeg
32225220-0FA9-4F53-B463-1ED8E34F5C52.jpeg

Kubatu

A-List Customer
I've handled a number of Cals and a couple Langlitz for resale purposes. I've never really been super impressed with the hides I see on Langlitz jackets, even when I'm able to sell their jackets for top dollar. I've seen some Cals with mediocre hides (I have one I'm listing soon right now!), but when they're good, they're really good.

I think Cal Leather could be more popular here, but of course, there are other forums that really like Langlitz gear.

VfZq154.jpg

tm6c1Xg.jpg

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Cal and Langlitz are great jackets. I however, love the Cal. Having had both makers, I personally like the Cal design better for my body and riding. Last year I dropped the ball in buying a straight zip Cal police beauty. I still regret it because the jacket fit me so very nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ