Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Langlitz versus Cal-Leather....how wide is the gap? Asking for a friend

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My choice is Langlitz. They custom ordered to your size and usage with large selection of options.
Cal Leathers did the same thing, jackets custom made to an individual customer’s measurements.
I will agree that they don’t offer as many options as Langlitz but the base Cal LAPD comes with a snap on mouton collar and a belt, what more do you really need?

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Well, here my two cents: I have a philia with Cals, owning 4 (if counting the vest/sleeveless jacket) and one Al's. I'd love to own one Langlitz, but I still haven’t found one w/o tag... someday.

It's a matter of taste, but I like vintage Cal over current Cal and Langlitz, but leaning towards any Langlitz over modern Cal. I -healthily- hate to say it, but Langlitz is doing a great job with its marketing, they are present everywhere and keep updated. Cal's website is outdated and social media too. Don’t get me wrong, I do not dislike their current jackets, but it’s so much that I like their vintage ones that it's hard for me not to notice the differences between periods. There are also many differences between the old Langlitz and the current ones: too many pockets on the sleeves? Too much hardware? Dunno, maybe it's just I'm a #good old-fashioned lover boy#.

Vest that needs a new lining and some sewing repair. Zipper insertion fixed and Pecard's layer applied on the collar.
1663581453042.jpg

This sturdy Cal keeps the original zippers, and it's intact as if time hadn't passed. Very happy to have this wonder. That Sam Browne belt fits great on this.
IMG_20210322_114340.jpg

Size 36, same style. Hide is a little damaged at collar, Pecard helped. Lining is a bit ripped next to the neck snaps. Talon was replaced at some point in a not clean work, old stitches are visible. Leather is heavy af.
1663580043958.jpg

Al's, with a kind of waxed finish. It came with no damages but frayed zipper insertion. Heavyweight jacket, perfect with a turtleneck knitted sweater.
1663580043936.jpg

Mid-weight leather, nice for autumn and early winter. No rips or scratches. Sleeves too tight if I wear a thick pullover or so, but perfect with a t-shirt.
1663580043982.jpg

Well, here my two cents: I have a philia with Cals, owning 4 (if counting the vest/sleeveless jacket) and one Al's. I'd love to own one Langlitz, but I still haven’t found one w/o tag... someday.

It's a matter of taste, but I like vintage Cal over current Cal and Langlitz, but leaning towards any Langlitz over modern Cal. I -healthily- hate to say it, but Langlitz is doing a great job with its marketing, they are present everywhere and keep updated. Cal's website is outdated and social media too. Don’t get me wrong, I do not dislike their current jackets, but it’s so much that I like their vintage ones that it's hard for me not to notice the differences between periods. There are also many differences between the old Langlitz and the current ones: too many pockets on the sleeves? Too much hardware? Dunno, maybe it's just I'm a #good old-fashioned lover boy#.

Vest that needs a new lining and some sewing repair. Zipper insertion fixed and Pecard's layer applied on the collar.
View attachment 452311

This sturdy Cal keeps the original zippers, and it's intact as if time hadn't passed. Very happy to have this wonder. That Sam Browne belt fits great on this.
View attachment 452312

Size 36, same style. Hide is a little damaged at collar, Pecard helped. Lining is a bit ripped next to the neck snaps. Talon was replaced at some point in a not clean work, old stitches are visible. Leather is heavy af.
View attachment 452313

Al's, with a kind of waxed finish. It came with no damages but frayed zipper insertion. Heavyweight jacket, perfect with a turtleneck knitted sweater.
View attachment 452317

Mid-weight leather, nice for autumn and early winter. No rips or scratches. Sleeves too tight if I wear a thick pullover or so, but perfect with a t-shirt.
View attachment 452319

The only collection on TFL that matters.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
I’m going to add my 2 cents, even though I have less experience than others who have commented here. I have a Star Glove, 2 unlabeled vintage Cals, and a custom Langlitz Columbia.

Star Glove and Cal are amazing vintage jackets. Plus, the number of unlabeled versions out there make the thrilling possibility of finding a hidden gem still realistic, even now that vintage/thrift is a lot more common. Cal has also done great restoration work, re-lining my Star Glove. I have never experienced one of their current jackets, but I would like to.

Getting a custom Langlitz has been a dream for a long time. The experience was great, and I wrote about it in the Langlitz thread. The custom aspect is huge in terms of fit, especially in comparison to vintage jackets, where it feels like I am always making compromises. Breaking in a new jacket was a cool experience, especially since it fit so well at the outset.

Both are shops that deserve visits in person. In an era where so many things are mass produced, meeting the people who make these jackets felt special.

I guess I can sum it up by saying J’ai deux amours, Cal et Langlitz…until I cheat on them with Aero ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner