Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Late night horror hosts...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Here in Maine, we had the legendary Eddie Driscoll of WLBZ-TV in Bangor. He was the man of all work at that station from the fifties into the eighties, and hosted just about everything, from kiddie cartoons and "Dialing for Dollars" to the late-night weekend horror show "Weird." He appeared in various guises in the latter show, such as Auntie Gruesome, Chef Eduardo, Zog the Robot, Mouldy the Hunchback, Krandel the Alien, and Lance Fleazy, Private Eye. All his work was done ad-lib, on a budget of about twenty-nine cents, but he was the funniest television performer I have ever seen. One of the great thrills of my childhood was meeting him in person, in the parking lot at Mammoth Mart in Bangor, when I was eight years old. Of all the celebrities I've met, he is the only one who left me awestruck.

A good overview of his career and influence on a generation of Maine kids -- http://www.maine.rr.com/04/driscoll/default.asp

funneman

Practically Family
Growing up in the '60s in Fort Pierce on the east coast of Florida we got our TV from West Palm Beach. On Friday nights WPTV Channel Five's weather man Tony Glen would put on some bad makeup and became Dr. Paul Bearer. The funny thing was it was clearly the weather guy. But as someone put here, the movies more than made up for the hosts. "Invaders from Mars" was the one that really scared the @#$%^ out of me.

Later in the '80s I hosted my own "Shock Theatre" on a station in Norfolk, Virginia.

Boris K

One of the Regulars

I remember watching "The Cool Ghoul" in Cincinnati. Bob Shreve was out of Dayton, Ohio as well.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
This is a bittersweet subject for me.

I was asked recently by a close friend if I had ever gotten close to my life dream, the biggie, whatever it was. I had to admit that no, I never did.
I had that dream when I was six years old, and I still have it today, that "thing you want to be when you grow up". It never changed for me.

I studied and immersed myself in horror literature and film, (mostly therapy for growing up with a graveyard behind the house and seeing "Night of the Living Dead" way too young) I got heavily involved in theater in high school and college, I've done voice work on the radio and even hosted a haunted attraction for our community Parks and Rec dept.

But that one thing, it's like constructing flying buttresses or plush top hats, it's a bygone trade, lost with the advent of cable and the death of original local broadcasting...

I always wanted to be a horror host.

Who knows, maybe someday something will scratch that itch and satisfy that gnawing ghoul that lurks in the back of my skull. Maybe I'll find an outlet for that passion.

Until then,... sleep tight, kiddies.

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
"Project Terror...Where The Terrifying and The Unbelievable Emerge!", which didn't have a host and was on Fridays at 10:30 P.M. I had to pretend I was asleep, then sneak out of bed and keep the TV volume very low. Good times indeed.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Spatterdash said:
This is a bittersweet subject for me.

I was asked recently by a close friend if I had ever gotten close to my life dream, the biggie, whatever it was. I had to admit that no, I never did.
I had that dream when I was six years old, and I still have it today, that "thing you want to be when you grow up". It never changed for me.

I always wanted to be a horror host.

Two Things, Spatterdash:

1. It's never too late as long as you're still above ground.
2. You have to find a way to make it happen. It won't just fall in your lap.

Here's one tool right here: The Internet. There are podcasts and such, or heck, be the next youtube sensation. There's also still local cable access and other outlets, as well as direct-to-video DVD marketing.

Produce your own show. With today's pro-grade digital technology within reach of the average consumer, it wouldn't be that hard or expensive. Do it all yourself, or hire a local pro crew or an aspiring filmmaker to help you. If nothing else you could repackage and market some of those old cheesy PD horror films with yourself inter-cut as a horror host. Who cares if you ever make money at it, or even break even. Look at it as a hobby, but just do it.

I myself had three big dreams in life: To be a rock star, a commercial artist, and a filmmaker. While I've not gotten very rich or famous doing either, I did spend five years working as a professional musician, and currently make a very good living as visual artist. I'm now working toward self-producing a couple of independent films.

If you don't go for it, you'll always wish you had.

-MC

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Here in Dayton we had Dr Creep on Shock Theater on WKEF 22.
When I was four I watched Trilogy Of Terror starring Karen Black with my dad.

I've not slept right since.

RBH

Bartender
Here in the 70's, in the Memphis area it was "Fantastic Features" on late Saturday night with 'Sivad'.

sivadfanphoto.jpg

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I really can't stand Big Chuck and Little John. Their gags with the canned chuckling....ugh. Not to mention their annoying local commercials.

I adore Elvira. Absolutely adore her. I dressed up "like" her in 2nd grade for Halloween and had a poster of her on my bedroom wall until my sister made me take it down because of the werewolf in it. My first car was a hearse named Elvira.

FATS88

One of the Regulars
CREATURE FEATURES

Yes!
as Hondo mentioned earlier, Bob Wilkins here in Bay Area
of northern Califas, I always wanted that Edsel pennant he had on the set,
I remember all the props from the set were auctioned away.
Later, the show was hosted by John Stanley, who I liked also,
he had the ability to bring notable people on the show, or travel to
the location sets of sci fi and horror films soon to be released,
but he was no Bob Wilkins. (Thanks for the youtube link Hondo)

Hey Mike in Seattle,
I spent my early years in SoCal,
and wasn't there another host on a rival channel,
or perhaps someone predating Seymour?
The name Mortimoor or Mortimus comes to mind.
Man! that was a long time ago!!

PS
Is there a thread on the Children's show hosts?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doesn't ring a bell, but could've been back in the 50's. Vampira I believe was the first (before my time) and then Seymour came along and then Elvira took over when he became ill and died.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Mike in Seattle I remember SEEEEYMOORE ! He was great ! He wore that cape and goofy hat. In Jr High he showed up to our local event here in Garden Grove the "Strawberry Festival" a friend of mine had a bike race with him ! My friend showed me his autograph thanking him for the bike race. There was also "Daphne the Witch" that I barely remember. Those were the days of "Speed Racer, Kimba and the 3 Stooges on Ch 52 ( remember UHF ? climbing on the roof to twist the antenna to get the best signal ?).

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DutchIndo said:
Mike in Seattle I remember SEEEEYMOORE ! He was great ! He wore that cape and goofy hat. In Jr High he showed up to our local event here in Garden Grove the "Strawberry Festival" a friend of mine had a bike race with him ! My friend showed me his autograph thanking him for the bike race. There was also "Daphne the Witch" that I barely remember. Those were the days of "Speed Racer, Kimba and the 3 Stooges on Ch 52 ( remember UHF ? climbing on the roof to twist the antenna to get the best signal ?).

And Sherlock Holmes Theatre on Sundays at 3 on KHJ-TV, the same station with Seymour ("Bad evening, fringies!") and later, Elvira.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy