Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paranormal Activity

Story

I'll Lock Up
Is 'Paranormal Activity' the Next 'Blair Witch Project'? :eek:

* September 25, 2009
* By: Kevin Polowy
http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2009/09/25/paranormal-activity-movie-next-blair-witch?icid=main|aim|dl2|link3|http%3A%2F%2Finsidemovies.moviefone.com%2F2009%2F09%2F25%2Fparanormal-activity-movie-next-blair-witch

The phenomenon that was 'The Blair Witch Project' is a rarity Hollywood has been dying to replicate since the Little Indie That Could's 1999 release, when it scared up a staggering $140 million -- from a budget of $60,000.

Well, the next 'Blair Witch' may have arrived. (Let's all just pretend the abominable 'Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2' never existed.)

The suddenly super-buzzed-about horror flick 'Paranormal Activity' was made for a mere $11,000 over the course of seven days -- and is now being called "the scariest movie of the decade." The film follows a young couple (Katie Featherston and Micah Sloat) who, convinced they're being haunted by spirits, set up a video camera to monitor their bedroom over the course of 20 nights.

After sinking into my seat for the better part of its 99 minute-runtime at a midnight screening earlier this morning, I'm inclined to agree. No other film this millennium has proved so shockingly chilling ('The Descent' comes closest) -- or packed the kind of lingering effects to leave you shaken and utterly terrified of your own home.

Adam Goodman, president of production at Paramount -- who scooped the film up after its 2008 debut at the Slamdance Film Festival -- stopped by last night's screening, the first in New York, to introduce it. Goodman recalled how 35 people had walked out of an early test screening; exit interviews with those folks revealed it wasn't because they weren't enjoying the film. It was because they were too scared.

Goodman also admitted that DreamWorks, formerly a leg of Paramount co-headed by Steven Spielberg, had swooped in and pocketed 'Paranormal Activity' with every intention of leaving it on the shelf and remaking it with a big budget and marquee stars. Then they wised up.

So now here we have an ultra-low budget horror film with incredible buzz positioned to be a sleeper hit. Sounds a little bit like the summer of '99, no?

The similarities to 'Blair Witch' don't stop there. The film plays out entirely through shaky cam, features unknown actors in authentic performances, oftentimes relies on cerebral distress and off-camera jolts to scare, and slowly builds up to a shocking climax.

What the minds behind 'Paranormal' are doing differently is all in the marketing. They're not attempting to convince us this is a true story, a strategy that resulted in big bucks for 'Blair Witch' but a subsequent backlash from angry moviegoers who complained they were duped (but really people, you thought that was real?).

It's almost unheard of for a major studio to acquire such a tiny film. But Paramount is stayed true to the movie's grassroots nature by opening the film first in only 10 (somewhat random) markets, not including major cities like New York and L.A., then calling on audiences to demand it. It's a bold strategy for a major distributor.

Will it repeat the success of 'Blair Witch'? It's too early to tell, but the cards are falling into place -- last night in L.A., for example, 4,500 people lined up to try to get into a special screening. And 'Paranormal Activity' beats out 'Blair Witch' in one vital field: It's scarier. While 'Blair Witch' may have scared people away from the woods for a few years (like 'Jaws' did the water two decades earlier), who's going to stay away from their own bedroom? Consider yourselves warned.

UPDATE (10/6): Currently playing on only 33 screens across the country, the film will open in 10 more markets this weekend -- Boston, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Cleveland, El Paso, Hampton Roads metro area, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Portland, Salt Lake City, and Toronto. Meanwhile, Paramount remains committed to their promise to open the film in every market once they reach 1 million "demands" (they're currently just shy of 400,000).

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_UxLEqd074

Feraud

Bartender
The income and buzz is amazing considering how terrible this movie is!
Everything about this film looks as low budget (in a bad way) as reported.
There are many better scary/thriller films than this. Very few are less boring and predicatable.
I can only conclude the success is the result of a superior marketing campaign.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HATED IT.
HATED IT.
HATED IT.
HATED IT.

I loved Blair Witch Project, though. That was truly imaginative.

I absolutely hated this film. There was so much more they could have done ... even on no budget ... had they spent more time and energy on the script.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
I absolutely hated this film. There was so much more they could have done ... even on no budget ... had they spent more time and energy on the script.

Why be hatin', yo?

If anything, this should encourage anyone who thinks they could write/do it better to float $10-15k and film their own version.

Just think of how many variations on the theme of 'couple stuck in a haunted house' there are - or could be.
http://www.tv.com/the-x-files/how-the-ghosts-stole-christmas/episode/613/summary.html

Maguire

Practically Family
Honestly i thought this was the worst movie i've ever had to sit through and i've sat through veritable stinkers. Nothing happens. My door creaks like the one in the film all the time, but you don't see anyone filming movies about me sleeping. I can't understand why people liked it, i liked last year's Quarantine far more, even though it got terrible reviews.

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
Though I haven't seen it, my manager's 16 year old daughter did, and reported it to be the dumbest thing she'd seen in quite some time.

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
This movie has finally come to Australia - I personally do not see what the big deal is, I guess it is all hype.
Such a silly movie.

Also - if this is suppose to be a really evil spirit - why is it just banging on doors and closing and opening doors?

Dr Doran

Story said:
Why be hatin', yo?

You're on the wrong thread, mon ami -- for surely you must have meant to enter that on the Annoying Phrase Thread. :p lol ;)

Story said:
If anything, this should encourage anyone who thinks they could write/do it better to float $10-15k and film their own version.

Fair enough, and you are right: I do want to encourage people to make small films. Yes. However, they need to do it intelligently. Blair Witch Project was also a $50 film but it was very clever. Not stuck in one lame house. And it had a good plot and it was scary.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I saw this movie a few months ago and thought it was dull, dull, dull. The main characters, especially Mika, were so annoying that I wasn't afraid for them. For a movie that was supposed to seem like real-life recordings, there were too many things that beggared belief, like the old photo showing up. If the characters really were afraid, one of them would have kept watch with the lights on while the other slept instead of turning out the lights, sprawling out on the bed and falling asleep within minutes.

Just because I couldn't make a movie with $10,000 doesn't make this movie a good one.

Dr Doran

OK. IT'S SETTLED.

It's settled. I am going to make a movie. With less than $10,000. In fact, with no money. I have a digital video camera.

One thing is for sure: any script I write will be about 8 thousand times better than Paranormal Activity's was.

filfoster

One Too Many
Blair Witch II

Just another damn thing Mrs. Foster will cite that I missed out on. For $15K, she would have allowed the crew to film our bedroom for a month. According to her, my various sleep sounds and gyrations are horrifying indeed. Not rated.

I thought Blair Witch Project was audacious and fun for 20 minutes.
This looks worth a view despite the mixed reviews in this thread.

Feraud

Bartender
filfoster said:
This looks worth a view despite the mixed reviews in this thread.
It is definitely not worth a view! Mixed reviews? I only note bad reviews by those who have seen it mixed in with a bit of devil's advocacy.

Leesensei

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
It is definitely not worth a view! Mixed reviews? I only note bad reviews by those who have seen it mixed in with a bit of devil's advocacy.

After reading all of the comments from all of the fine ladies and gentlemen here, I am glad that I managed to miss this one. I am one of the ones that did enjoy the original Blair Witch Project movie and I applaud a film maker that can tell a good story no matter how small the budget is.

Lee

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I just wanted to be counted in the "didn't much care for it" group. I saw it last night and only finished it hoping there would be something at the end that was worth watching. There wasn't!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:

One of my coworkers found it very scary and had trouble going to sleep for weeks. I guess that means she liked it. [huh]

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Hmm. My daughter just came home, proudly bearing her friend's copy, urging us to watch it with her. Not much in the modern thriller department does it for me, and after reading the reviews here, I'm even more reluctant to subject myself to it. (She's already seen it, at the cinema, I think.)
Can I just put in my "Grey Gardens" or "Romance and Cigarettes" instead? Please.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
One of my coworkers found it very scary and had trouble going to sleep for weeks.

I saw it last Hallowe'en, and honestly, this is how I felt. I don't watch horror films other than some old Hammer Horror of my dads, so maybe thats why. Supernatural topics tend to freak me out.

I thought it was sweet how Micah so fearlessly confronted the unknown for his girlfriend - That is love!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner