Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lazer tatoo removal

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Has anyone had lazer tatoo removal? How well did ut work for you? How expensive was it?

I am considering getting my tats removed. There is nothing wrong with them- they are done okay but I've never been attached to them. I got the first one done (Celtic knotwork circle) on the spur of the moment as my freind was getting one. The second (tribal) was due to getting to know the tatooist and the third and fouth were because I was 'seeing' the tatooist and a group of us would get drunk in the shop after hours and tatoo or pierce things.

It was the 90's and the feminine trad Goth image was out in favour of the Rivet Girl- and as I am small and feminine I thought that the tatoos would make me more 'rawwwwh' and show commitment to my subculture- BUT at 34 I now realise that it's okay to be part of the alternative scene and actually dislike tatoos, piercings, thatrical make-up and colured hair & dreads. Just not my kind of pretty.

I've already taken out most of my piercings (I had a lot, mainly facial)- I'm keeping the private ones, for my boyfriend.

BUT I'm feeling that my tats are distracting from the 'elegant' look that I strive for and as I'm not attached to them anyway- it's time to say goodbye.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
Tishkaminx said:
I thought that the tatoos would make me more 'rawwwwh' and show commitment to my subculture- BUT at 34 I now realise that it's okay to be part of the alternative scene and actually dislike tatoos, piercings, thatrical make-up and colured hair & dreads. Just not my kind of pretty.

I feel exactly the same way! I've only just realised in the last few years you can be alternative without being a goth. I never went really extreme, but it was just to show that I was different, and like you said, show commitment.

My friend had tattoo removal and she said it cost the same amount as having her boobs done, so I'm thinking in the £2000 area. She had one of those horrible ones around her belly button, but you could barely see it after a few sessions.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
My personal experience is that lazer tattoo removal is expensive, painful and, in the long run, largely ineffectual; it also carries a very real risk or severe scarring. Like getting tattoos in the first place, it is not a process that should be undertaken lightly.

If the tattoos were done professionally they're not going anywhere soon. 10+ sessions will reduce the tattoo to nearly nearly non-detectable, however, the skin will never appear as if a tattoo was never there. Sessions will be spaced out by about six weeks between treatments, during which time you will have fairly gnarly healing process (that is to say, you'll spend over a year constantly healing burn-like bruises).

Price wise, there is a lot of variation. When I was getting two tattoos lightened it cost $350-400 a session. While some people do have good luck with getting rid of tattoos after only several sessions, you have to be very cautious about allowing the procedure to be conducted in to aggressive of a manner as this greatly enhances the risk of scarring.

Lazer tattoo removal is best used to lighten unwanted tattoos in order to allow cover-ups to be done

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I've also always heard that the coloring of the tattoo will have a huge impact on the success of its removal, darker colors being easier to remove because there's more contrast with your skin color.

velvetongue

Familiar Face
From what I read online, Q-switched lasers can break up the ink in the tattoo and your body will absorb and clean out the rest of the ink. It depends on the size of your tattoo and colour of ink. Care must be taken to not remove the ink too aggressively as it can cause scarring, and price-wise it's about as expensive as getting the tattoo done (maybe more). I also heard that it is as painful as having hot grease splattered onto your arm, and is more painful than getting the tattoo done. I'm sure they have analgesic lotions they can rub on your skin though before the removal process.

Have you tried using foundation or makeup to cover up the tattoo? Also have you tried dressing around it (wearing something to cover it up)?

I have a 3/4 sleeve Japanese tattoo which I love and has great meaning to me, but at more conservative times I do find that it attracts too much attention to itself. At times like that (visiting my parents, job interview, workplace, etc) I just throw on a cardigan over it.

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
I'm with you. I have two large tattoos on the tops of my shoulders. I got those several years ago and now I very much regret them. I can't wear anything without them showing. It's depressing and I wish the lasers worked better but from everything I've read it seems impossible that they would ever be completely gone.

Plus the time, money and pain involved is daunting for something that may not work. I don't think tattoos should be allowed before the age of 25, so many young and dumb decisions! Or at least I wish I had been that way. :)

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I have found a place that I trust that use Q-switch lazers for £25.00 a session- and since my tats are black on pale skin I may not need many sessions at all- I just need to convince my beau on it- since I had them when he met me he sees them as part of me-sweet, but ....hmph..

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
Tishkaminx said:
I have found a place that I trust that use Q-switch lazers for £25.00 a session- and since my tats are black on pale skin I may not need many sessions at all- I just need to convince my beau on it- since I had them when he met me he sees them as part of me-sweet, but ....hmph..

Go for it! You can always start with one, and see how it goes. By the sounds of it, you'll still have some left over for your boyfriend, then you just have to work on him til you get rid of the rest :)

If you want to persuade him that Celtic knots are a bad thing to have, then I can send you a selection of photos of 1990s pop stars... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk