Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather advice for a very very newbie.

ChubbMuff

New in Town
I sent Amanda an email and pic of the jacket I liked but unfortunately they weren't interested in making one up. The pattern is pretty intricate so I can understand why they would be reticent to put their time to it. It is a very different style to what they produce.

BTW: Sizes go up to 46!!

Jan, that jacket is pretty much perfect however it is just waaaay outside my budget. That's equivalent of 2.5 Aeros! Beautiful jacket though but now you have shown me something I really like that I have no hope of attaining. AAAAAARGHHH!!!!

No idea if they do custom work. Drop them a line and ask.

Problem with 1970's jackets is that of the dozens I have seen and handled, very few are well made and the leather is often pretty thin or fragile.

I have to say that Pegesus blazer look spretty cool. It also looks like a hunting jacket from a much earlier time.

That is the problem I have with so much of what I see on eBay from the 70's or in a blazer style - I can just tell the leather is cheap and nasty. The Pegasus jacket is really nice but not quite there for me I'm afraid. I may have a chat to them about modifications if I have no luck anywhere else.

Graemsay

Practically Family
If you took a Stuart or Teamster, tweaked the position of the button holes, gave it some Pimptastic lapels, made it a bit more fitted (Thirties Halfbelt pattern), lost the side adjusters, replaced the pockets with a suit style, and added the yoke from the Western Shirt then you'd end up with something along the lines of a simplified version of the jacket you originally posted.

Otherwise it's going to have to be the Pegasus, or Jan's suggestion from The Few and bankruptcy.

Or get an Aero Hippy Jacket, which is also from the Seventies period.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Problem with 1970's jackets is that of the dozens I have seen and handled, very few are well made and the leather is often pretty thin or fragile.

Mnn, the more fragile stuff does seem to have survived at a greater rate than the equivalent from earlier periods. You're also dealing here with more deliberately "fashion" jackets than utility / mc / etc...

ChubbMuff

New in Town
If you took a Stuart or Teamster, tweaked the position of the button holes, gave it some Pimptastic lapels, made it a bit more fitted (Thirties Halfbelt pattern), lost the side adjusters, replaced the pockets with a suit style, and added the yoke from the Western Shirt then you'd end up with something along the lines of a simplified version of the jacket you originally posted.

Otherwise it's going to have to be the Pegasus, or Jan's suggestion from The Few and bankruptcy.

Or get an Aero Hippy Jacket, which is also from the Seventies period.

It's like your reading my mind! I replied to Amanda about modifying a Stuart after she gave me an initial no, so I'll wait and see. I really like the fit and look of the Hippy however I am not a fan of the pockets. It is also a jacket I can find no pics of anyone actually wearing the thing so it's difficult to get a gauge on how it actually looks on and what the length is. I would probably stear (geddit? Moooooo!) clear of the hide it's shown in as tan doesn't suit me and I want to break the bad boy in myself. Unless it's like that kind of leather that goes really goldy brown tobacco kind of colour the more you wear it. I could get into that...

Thanks for being so helpful!

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I have a Stuart and I don't think it's anything like the jacket you want. Sure you can make it more like what you want, but it's DNA is a half-belt.

Gambetto

Familiar Face
What about a Stuart in goatskin? Aero has some remarkable goatskin, some of the best in the world. You might inquire as to whether Aero has any more of the vintage goatskin that the company acquired for a Levi Vintage contract that fell through because Levi could not produce the jackets economically with such expensive leather.

Forgive me for not reading your opening post. My on-line reading attention is minimal.
Answering the question you pose in your topic title.....
Buy quality jackets made from quality leather by quality companies.
I happened to see the names of Good Wear and Aero sprinkled through the replies. Great recommendations.

ChubbMuff

New in Town
I have a Stuart and I don't think it's anything like the jacket you want. Sure you can make it more like what you want, but it's DNA is a half-belt.

But if it looks like what I want then I'll be happy! I realise it looks nothing like the jacket I initially posted, I am just trying to see what I can achieve using the knowledge of this forum and a supplier like Aero. But thank you for giving your opinion, obviously owning a Stuart you know exactly how it looks and feels.

What about a Stuart in goatskin? Aero has some remarkable goatskin, some of the best in the world. You might inquire as to whether Aero has any more of the vintage goatskin that the company acquired for a Levi Vintage contract that fell through because Levi could not produce the jackets economically with such expensive leather.

Maybe, the Stuart seems a little shorter than what I want, I am after something where the body length matches the sleeves kind of lentgh.

Buy quality jackets made from quality leather by quality companies.
I happened to see the names of Good Wear and Aero sprinkled through the replies. Great recommendations.

Cheers Jeff, I'll keep your advice in mind.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
ChubbMuff, to be honest I think your very best bet is to get in touch with Jonathan Logan as he makes a large number of different styles of 70s inspired leather jackets.

He is probably best known for making Brad Pitt's 70s red leather jacket for the film "Fight Club" which he still makes for customers.

160799_image_main.jpg

http://www.jonathanalogan.com/

Last edited:

ChubbMuff

New in Town
ChubbMuff, to be honest I think your very best bet is to get in touch with Jonathan Logan as he makes a large number of different styles of 70s inspired leather jackets.

He is probably best known for making Brad Pitt's 70s red leather jacket for the film "Fight Club" which he still makes for customers.

Wow Smithy, thanks heaps. That looks almost perfect and is about how much I want/can afford to spend. The red may be a bit much but I am sure he can sort me a different colour. Do you know anything about this guy in terms of leather quality etc? The jacket looks lush! Thanks again Man.

PS You got a footy team you follow down there? Massive Swans fan myself.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The Logan jackets are well made but just a notch above fashion cowhide. You'd get a decade out of it, if you're careful, but you won't be passing it on to grandkids. And that may be fine with you.

Magnoli Clothiers will make any design you want (if you send good photos) in sound quality - similar to Logan's stuff IMO. Check out the website.

A key question for me is always what kind of leather do you want. The Aero jackets are great, heirloom jackets, but heavy - especially if it's a longer style. I don't enjoy wearing them and all that weight is unnecessary to my purposes.

Unlike many Loungers, I rarely venture heavier than 2.5oz goat or cow for anything. If the leather is well processed, it'll last for decades. That'll do me. Most fashion cowhide and 1970's blazers are of thinner hides than that.

Best of luck.

ChubbMuff

New in Town
My Aero goatskin Cheyenne is actually not too far away from what you a re looking for

You know what Jan? You may be right. I have seen all your jackets (as I said in the OP I am a long time lurker) but this one does stand out and looks really nice on. Maybe I could drop the top button, lower the 2nd from the top (re-spacing the remaining 3 so to speak) and then have a bit more of a lapel, so it's tip matches the collar tip if you know what I mean. We just don't get that cold down here in Australia so I would rarely need to button all the way up (and I love a bit of scarf action anyway).

How thick is the goat hide? It has an incredible look, really nice surface (is that the grain?).

ChubbMuff

New in Town
Seb: thanks for the reply. I have been on the Magnolia site but cannot work out if the guy makes the jackets in NZ or has them made "offshore" so to speak. I don't want the world's thickest FQHH or steer but do want something hard wearing. I know to many the style I want is more fashion but I want something well made that I can wear forever and not worry about it tearing or getting snagged.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
The Hype about Aero Leather

Thanks for the replies gents, I had feeling you would all be recommending Aero :D

I do recommend Good Wear / Mr. J. Chapman, and I know exactly why I do so. I myself found it really energy- and time-consuming to get from Aero exactly what you want. Beside this I find their Front Quarter leather excellent, but only this one ... The lighter versions look nice but didn't fullfil my expectations.

With Good Wear customizing works best, and you won't have to order a remake because of sizing problems. Very friendly communication (Good Wear answers in full sentences ;)), and the quality of both the handicraft and the leather is outstanding and the best you can get.

To show only one example:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gwcalventura_images3.html

It is worth the waiting time in any case!

Kind regards,

Johannes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR