Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jacket - Cloth Patches?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Is it kosher to put cloth patches on leather jackets? Yes? No? If not, why not? I have placed (not sewn on) some cloth patches on my leather A-2 just for experimentation, and it it looks OK to me. Actually, looks pretty good.

Otter

One Too Many
Yes it is. Leather patches were usually theater made iirc and were most common in Italy and CBI. The exception is jacket name tags which were usually stamped leather although I have seen painted on ones where presumably the officia item was not available.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Are you talking "unit" or squadron patches or like elbow patches? If you talking about unit patches... I don't see why that would be a problem.

Worf

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Yes, I am referring to "unit" patches and the like. Such as 24th Infantry Division, etc. I already have a very nice leather embossed name-tag...looks real nice with the CIB badge embossed.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
It really comes down to if "you" like it , go for it , but if you're worried about "authenticity" then army division type patches on a Leather jacket weren't too often seen ....................
Some of the Liaison units "maybe" ...................

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
First: It's your jacket so feel free.
Secondly: If you do it, you might meet some people who knows 'bout things.
And they just might wonder what infantry unit wore pilot jackets?
Or ask you when you served in that specific unit? Or what is going on...?
Still - it's you jacket, so you can do what you like, Just be prepared.
Why not try to look into history a bit more and then try to recreate a jacket from a single squadron or unit. That way you might even strike up conversation.

alsendk

A-List Customer
I am inclined to agree with Søren on these matters. Questions could be asked. And as somebody here already pointed out; dont`t let it become a Topgun jacket. These badgets were somehow earned the right/hard way, and is to be respected.
But this is just my point of wiew. I was a senior sergent in the airforce for 5 years, and have learned to respect the military order.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
This is a tribute jacket for his Father who participated in WW2..if I'm not mistaken.
I think leather painted patches throughout would give the jacket a better presentation.
HD

Correct, a tribute jacket. And it will incorporate many suggestions from you and others. The badges & medals my Dad was decorated with were definitely earned, the hard way. Seeing action on the front lines (1944-1945), operating a Browning .50 cal automatic...

As for the A-2, it was worn by D. Macarthur, and my Dad served under him in the 24th ID. Not going for 100% authentic as that is impossible. But my parents are visiting us now, and he has tried on all of my jackets (A-2, B-15, G-1, etc.). His eyes lit up when I told him these were the jackets worn by the military pilots in WWII.

As he is soon to turn 90, very few of his WWII buddies are still here. Hopefully, the younger generation will allow us a small amount of freedom in putting this together. "Top Gun"? No, not even close.

Yes, painted leather patches are being custom made right now. And the Cockpit USA A-2 just arrived! When finished, pictures will be posted. Found a good custom leather tailor here in Dallas for the sewing of the patches.

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
This makes perfectly sense FlyGuy. Sorry for my remark. All the best to your dad. We all owe him, and his old buddies a lot. Will look forward to see the result

Edward

Bartender
If there is not anything you are trying to replicate, try flicking through The Art of the Flight Jacket. Too many good ideas in there, just don't go all Top Gun on us!

Mn. Quite.... I'm not sure there are any films I hate more than Top Gun. It's on an equally low footing to post-1983 Star Wars content.

On the matter in hand, I'd personally prefer leather. I've seen photos of various hand-embroidered patches adopted in the field, but in terms of what is readily available today, I think the leather stuff, whether layered or painted, has a more period look to my eye than the available cloth patches. As the jacket is a tribute, though, rather than intending to recreate something specific to that time, it's definitely up to OP, IMO.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hells bells, all I can remember of Star Wars when it came out (which is when I saw it in 1977) is how bad it was - awful dialogue and dreadful scripting with some cool effects which were superseded instantly.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
So you ARE recreating a special unit jacket - and even as a tribute to your father! What a great idea. So sorry, but I did not get that out of your first post. Good luck with it - and looking forward to some pics too.

Stand By

One Too Many
In answer to the original question posed, IMHO, I think cloth patches are fine - as long as they're limited to standard AF and squadron patches - rank of any kind would be a no-no of course, unless, as you're doing for your father, it's a tribute jacket - or one desires a copy of an original from a book that has the other person's name on the leather strip (so it's a tribute jacket again) so you're not claiming any credit for those lovely, aged captain bars - but that would behoove one to then give whoever asks about them with a brief but appropriate history lesson !
I also have come to prefer the painted leather patches these days - as they were "unofficial" and as such, I feel more license to add those ... and they look so fantastic too, the leather against the leather ...
But to me, done tastefully, patches often help some jackets to look finished ... and they keep history alive.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Hey Tex,

I think the way you had it on the other thread looked fine. It might look a bit odd if you mixed leather and cloth all over the place (leather name tag notwithstanding), but then again, maybe not.

As for cloth patches on leather in general, consider that almost all Navy jackets were patched in cloth insignia. I've seen some WWII naval jacket patches that were leather but, by the time that G-1s really started sporting patches, they seem to all be cloth.

Same same for the A-2s once they began to be reissued in the 80s.

So, I don't think you need to worry too much about cloth patches on your dad's leather. :)

Deacon

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Hey Tex,

I think the way you had it on the other thread looked fine. It might look a bit odd if you mixed leather and cloth all over the place (leather name tag notwithstanding), but then again, maybe not.

As for cloth patches on leather in general, consider that almost all Navy jackets were patched in cloth insignia. I've seen some WWII naval jacket patches that were leather but, by the time that G-1s really started sporting patches, they seem to all be cloth.

Same same for the A-2s once they began to be reissued in the 80s.

So, I don't think you need to worry too much about cloth patches on your dad's leather. :)

Deacon

I thought the cloth patches looked OK. It will be simple in style, with the 24th ID patch (3 1/4" - left sleeve), Western Pacific Theater patch (3 1/4" - right sleeve), US Army 5" patch (right breast), and name tag...got one in leather and one in cloth. They both look really great.

His rank insignia will be painted onto a leather square patch and sewn onto the appropriate location at the epaulet, same location as the officer's bars.

Is this going overboard? Too much "Top Gun"?

He will be happy with it no matter what we do. One more thing - his medals will be sewn onto the inside lining, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart