Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket for winter

Okay so from what i understand i can actually go with a B-6 or a D-1 jacket and wear it with just a shirt under and i will be fine or wear it with a sweater if it's colder. I think it's can be a good investement like Monitor said because i can layer and be fine in every climate.

That's what I'd do. I can wear mine in 10C on a T-shirt. It'll be warm but if you spend a lot of time outside, it's not bad at all. Some people find sheepskin too warm. Might be the case with you as well, actually but I don't think you'll be cursing your jacket for being too hot in -5C.

And yeah, fur collar doesn't do anything for me. It looks good & feels nice on the neck, but it's not helping me in the least bit when it comes to cold.

So I'd recommend B-6, D-1 for shearling and maybe some in heavy leather with quilted lining. Any of these can handle cold well.

1_ecddbb66-c866-4e43-a8c9-f86789678353_800x.png

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Agree that b6/d1 are great options. The cut is generous and allows for layering. I find them great for 15-39 f.
I also really like a N1 and find it works in the same temp range.
Based on your y2k photo there is always the Barnstormer.

Edward

Bartender
An awful lot of this comes down to personal bodyheat. I am definitely a cold weather person - living all the way down here in London, I'm forever complaining about the heat from April - November - but I have no problem wearing sheepskin in November-February usually. If shearling might be too much, then a blanket liner and layering would be an option.

Length is worth thinking about - an Aero Hudson will keep your top half as warm as an Irvin without freezing your bum! Cours,e it's also a snugger style, sao think about sizing up if you want room for layering (always discuss fit with Aero).

For a Winter coat for wearing over a suit, one day I want to geth myselt an Aero Barnstormer with blanket lining....

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I sold my Irvin due to lack of use in the UK, put the funds into a D-1 (ELC) which works well given the shorter fleece and keeps me toasty on a cold Autumn day with just a T-shirt or a cashmere jumper in the Winter.
I’ve got an A-2 which worked well in Prague in November with a T & cashmere underneath (just) and fine most of the time in the UK with just a T shirt.

An awful lot of this comes down to personal bodyheat. I am definitely a cold weather person - living all the way down here in London, I'm forever complaining about the heat from April - November - but I have no problem wearing sheepskin in November-February usually. If shearling might be too much, then a blanket liner and layering would be an option.

Length is worth thinking about - an Aero Hudson will keep your top half as warm as an Irvin without freezing your bum! Cours,e it's also a snugger style, sao think about sizing up if you want room for layering (always discuss fit with Aero).

For a Winter coat for wearing over a suit, one day I want to geth myselt an Aero Barnstormer with blanket lining....

Lol, I remember you saying once how you're looking forward to finally getting old people metabolism so you'd be cold all the time and I hear you. May and June I mostly spend dreading what is to come. Once July hits, I'm suffering. Every day is painful, disgusting mess.

What's worse, I'm also constantly cold these last few years, too but I really don't mind it one bit. I can be freezing and it'll put a smile to my face. Love every second of it. Heat, though... Ugh.

Enguerrand

New in Town
Lol, I remember you saying once how you're looking forward to finally getting old people metabolism so you'd be cold all the time and I hear you. May and June I mostly spend dreading what is to come. Once July hits, I'm suffering. Every day is painful, disgusting mess.

What's worse, I'm also constantly cold these last few years, too but I really don't mind it one bit. I can be freezing and it'll put a smile to my face. Love every second of it. Heat, though... Ugh.

Haha it's a bit the same for me, i love winter and the cold even if i'm freezing but summer and the heat oh my god.. Not for me.

Also i think i made my choice for the jacket and i will go with a D1 from Aero, i hesitated between the D1 and the Barnstormer shawl collar because i love the double breasted jackets but i think this style will fit me better when i'll be a bit older.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Haha it's a bit the same for me, i love winter and the cold even if i'm freezing but summer and the heat oh my god.. Not for me.

Also i think i made my choice for the jacket and i will go with a D1 from Aero, i hesitated between the D1 and the Barnstormer shawl collar because i love the double breasted jackets but i think this style will fit me better when i'll be a bit older.

If you are set on a D1 have a look at Eastman Leather, IMO they have are a little above Aero.

dubpynchon

One Too Many

Also think about getting a D-1 with B-6 type pockets. The angle of the D-1 pockets aren't really so good for sticking your hands into, the B-6 is better in that way.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
My $.02 - for the temp range the OP mentioned, any leather jacket with a quilted liner having decent batting will do. Just put a light sweater underneath, wear a scarf to protect the neck and you're good to go. Or go with light shearling, but not really for cold protection, just for the look if you like it. I'd just go with a quilted liner and a light sweater or a hoodie.

bn1966

Just happened to be reading an old thread (thinking about having a Shearling lining put in).
Are you in The Circus in Bath here BN?
Absolutely, live not far away and took the Wife for a short shopping break..everywhere was closed pretty much due to the beast. D-1 held up lovely, chopped in an ELC Irvin type for it as just too warm for my tastes most of Autumn / Winter In UK.

Al 916

One Too Many
Absolutely, live not far away and took the Wife for a short shopping break..everywhere was closed pretty much due to the beast. D-1 held up lovely, chopped in an ELC Irvin type for it as just too warm for my tastes most of Autumn / Winter In UK.
I lived there for 13 odd (rather) years, beautiful City.

The three Tenors did a wonderful gig in The Circus years ago with musicians playing from the balconies of the surrounding houses and the voices under the trees, it was rather special!

Where abouts are you? (I was central from '98)

bn1966

I lived there for 13 odd (rather) years, beautiful City.

The three Tenors did a wonderful gig in The Circus years ago with musicians playing from the balconies of the surrounding houses and the voices under the trees, it was rather special!

Where abouts are you? (I was central from '98)
Nearly moved there in times past but didn’t think I’d cope with all the tourists. Spent many of my Weekends in Bath in my 20’s the Punk / Goth scene was the magnet. I live in Calne about 17 miles away these days, a fairly vibrant market town. It’s still very much a working town which I like, into my running dogs so the countryside around is a bonus. I’m originally from West London (Chiswick). Around Bath area work wise most days :)

Al 916

One Too Many
Nearly moved there in times past but didn’t think I’d cope with all the tourists. Spent many of my Weekends in Bath in my 20’s the Punk / Goth scene was the magnet. I live in Calne about 17 miles away these days, a fairly vibrant market town. It’s still very much a working town which I like, into my running dogs so the countryside around is a bonus. I’m originally from West London (Chiswick). Around Bath area work wise most days :)
I am originally a Pinner (Harrow) boy, bit north of Chiswick

bn1966

I am originally a Pinner (Harrow) boy, bit north of Chiswick
I love my history and Bath is full of it..especially Regency period. My old hang outs were under Pultney Bridge and the Salamander Bar..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy