Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

leather jacket lifestyle question 1

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I honestly don't understand your points of view but I respect them. They're just garments to be worn, this is a piece of outerwear, nothing else. It is not a formal suit to be worn at a special occasion in my opinion that usually one wants to be pristine(and I do wear suits on the regular too anyway, I love creases and wear on mys ummer stuff) but something to wear like any other garment you wear on the regular.

People wear gym sweatpants, football/basketball shirts, flip flops, skin tight "jeans" and oversized tops while I wear wide leg linen high rise trousers with loafers and summer dress shoes with short sleeve polos or cellullar cotton shirts. I keep myself cool during the summer that way and couldn't care less that others go out like that. I won't stop wearing what I want just because others are dressed down and usually lazy to dress up a bit. I'm not judging them, just saying that I will never feel self conscious just because I choose to dress up my way and they don't, that's not my problem and I don't want to fit in and change my way of dressing because of people I don't even care abour or know.

During the winter I wear almost exclusively a leather jacket while doing everything(walking to work and back to work, doing errands, riding my Vespa, using public transport, loading boxes, furniture,luggage,etc etc) and when I get to work I just put my leather jacket in the locker room without second thoughts and when I get home I throw it on a chair, the floor or the bed, whatever I feel like at the moment. Other people wear those ugly Michelin looking coats and other type of outerwear :D

I want my leather jackets to tell my story. Sometimes they get scuffs, some discolouration where I was leaning against a wall or a traffic light(I always lean against them when waiting for the light to turn green) and the creases are there because I use it regularly. Sunlight, rain, wind, etc they protect me from the elements.

What I have seen is that depending on where you are but specially in the US you guys drive everywhere and that limits a lot the use of your leather jackets. I don't drive anywhere except when I'm feeling lazy and ride my bike but honestly I can go months or even spent 2 years without riding my bike.

I get complimented on my leather jackets very often but I wear them because they make me feel like a million bucks and I guess that just shows.
+1

I wear my leather jackets on pretty much every occasion and I never feel self conscious. I would feel self conscious wearing sweatpants (I don't even own a pair). Also, I couldn't care less about what other people think. Tbh, I think most of the people don't think anything at all about what I'm wearing.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
+1

I wear my leather jackets on pretty much every occasion and I never feel self conscious. I would feel self conscious wearing sweatpants (I don't even own a pair). Also, I couldn't care less about what other people think. Tbh, I think most of the people don't think anything at all about what I'm wearing.

Same, unless it is too hot to do so, or i will be doing something that might really damage leather, if i leave the house i wear a leather jacket.
Doesn't matter if i am going to the supermarket, going for a walk, cinema, restaurant, museum, whatever, makes no difference to me. I wore a leather jacket at my dad's funereal last January....
Like you i would feel more self concious wearing shorts, sweatpants or a puffer jacket (I don't own either).

I don't care what people think, don't care if it is appropriate, life is too short for that.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@El Marro's post made me want to take my camera to work today...
Appologies in advance as there isn't a single leather jacket to be seen, but it should make it pretty obvious why i don't wear leather when i work.

Start of the day, my office:

82BtYbZ.jpg

Job is pretty simple, follow the fence, if there is a broken wire fix it, if a tree fell accross the fence remove it, if a post is broken replace it. On top of that i dismantle fallen trees so that they lay flat, i fell the dead standing ones and do a general cleanup:

4pXfObS.jpg

One of the big "crash sites", a huge beech tree (30-40m tall) fell on the fence, it took around 10 hours of sawing to clear things to what can be seen here:

eB8PEDE.jpg

New post, new wire:

XuWckRS.jpg

Lunch break:

WSfVkbG.jpg

Staff kitchen, cheeky chicken Korma:

tEXDWLJ.jpg

Crash site number two, another huge fallen beech that you can see at the bottom of the valley in the background, this one took around 14 hours, it is a good 120cm across at the thickest parts.

5RCCQcM.jpg

Dead standing Oak i fell, the stump can be seen on the left in the previous shot:

vH3zFLt.jpg

Crash site close up:

4NYq6I9.jpg

D43pNTV.jpg

hElPMhI.jpg

tW2Gbic.jpg

And then a couple instagram worthy shots...
What do you guys think?
Should i start a leather lumberjack IG?

WdCHzGz.jpg

xNCEHYp.jpg

On a serious note, this job took around 10 days to finish, i went through two pairs of deerskin gloves, pulling barb wire wrecks them faster than anythign else i usually do. I must have hooked myself in the wire at least 100 times, luckily cotton duck doesn't care.
Add to that the pretty intense two stroke smell, the chain oil splatters, had i been wearing a leather jacket it would be in the trash with the two pairs of gloves i wore.

If someone is feeling brave you can send me a leather jacket and i will test in in the field, see how it responds to "rugged activities", let me tell you i have low expectations...
I hear Himel are great fishing jackets, maybe i need to try one in the woods!

Hadn't seen this, really nice pics, thanks for sharing! :)

When it comes to using leather jackets, they are my default outerwear jacket. I wear them everywhere, from groceries to meetings. From walks in the park to travelling. And it works.

thor

One Too Many
We need @thor in this thread. Captain Thor wears his jackets to work on NY Harbor and looks awesome.
Thanks @Will Zach, I’m fortunate that I have a job where I can wear a leather jacket just about every day (tho some days I wear textile jackets, usually Navy-surplus Aramid or Nomex flame resistant deck jackets).
Carrying all sorts of gear, strapping on a safety vest or harness or just working in extreme weather (rain, snow, wind, salt air, etc) will definitely break in a leather jacket. I wear mostly a G-1 or A-2 and lately a LW Rigger.
B1597603-04C6-435B-AE49-FCA1FA6EF480.jpeg

Hh121

Banned
only times I don't wear jacket is during cooking and using bathroom, can't imagine sitting on the toilet with 6oz CXL.....
here comes a question: what you do with your jacket if you are using a public bathroom when there is no hanger on the door?

El Marro

only times I don't wear jacket is during cooking and using bathroom, can't imagine sitting on the toilet with 6oz CXL.....
here comes a question: what you do with your jacket if you are using a public bathroom when there is no hanger on the door?
I’ve definitely faced that situation. Techniques may vary but the absolute goal is to make sure that that jacket comes nowhere near the floor!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

I do my best to avoid number two in public bathrooms, so it's not a problem i think i have ever faced...
But if you are a public pooper i can see how the lack of hanging tab/hanging hook would be a problem.

jonbuilder

I started wearing leather jackets to work when I moved from building and renovating homes to being a field superintendent on commercial, retail, and industrial construction sites. I started with a Sears A2-type jacket with handwarmer pockets. My last three years a wore a cafe racer made of heavy horsehide waist-length with two breast pockets. This jacket saw me through large earth-moving site work, demolition and concrete pours. Concrete wipes off the leather with water. I was not performing manual labor but I had to move around a construction site to check installations and layout work. This included climbing scaffolding climbing onto roofs in dusty environments.
Now-retired first thing I do each morning after three cups of coffee and browse TFL outwear is taking my 100 lb Chesapeake Bay retriever on a one to three-mile walk and we are not walking in urban streets but hillside trails, bay land, and coastal beaches. My dog has two fused knees so I lift him in and out of my SUV. So I get sand saltwater dog hair on my jackets nothing a damp rage will not resolve. I am able to wear leather about 8 to 9 months out of the year on the morning walk. If I leave town by car or plane I always take a leather jacket. The only place I go where I will not wearing a leather jacket is court

Last edited:

dwilson

A-List Customer
Like Carlos I have a demanding job and demand the same out of my clothing. I can be sitting at my desk one second and the next a stiff breeze flows in from my open patio slider. I need to know my jacket will be up to the task of handling this. I need a pair of boots that I can rely on and know won't back down when my dog demands his afternoon walkies. This isn't a fashion or lifestyle choice for me this is a burden I'm forced to shoulder due to the nature of my work.

IMG_0139.JPG

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Like Carlos I have a demanding job and demand the same out of my clothing. I can be sitting at my desk one second and the next a stiff breeze flows in from my open patio slider. I need to know my jacket will be up to the task of handling this. I need a pair of boots that I can rely on and know won't back down when my dog demands his afternoon walkies. This isn't a fashion or lifestyle choice for me this is a burden I'm forced to shoulder due to the nature of my work.

View attachment 328226
:p

I been balling a shiny black steel jack-hammer,
Been chippin' up rocks for the great highway,
Live five years if I take my time,
Ballin' that jack and a drinkin' my wine.

bn1966

A-1 weather over here at the today, maybe an A-2 this evening, recently moved out of D-1 territory. Heavy Ostmann last week at times early morning & into Hartmann territory by noon. I’d be lost without them..

Rugby

One of the Regulars
It was the 20th anniversary of Joey Ramones death last week. There was a story in the paper about how as he was dying from cancer he wore his signature leather jacket in the hospital bed during his last days...
I started wearing leather jackets looong time ago just because my favorite band were in lather jackets. Then I realized I liked the feel and sense of "security" and self-confidence. And when I started riding motorcycles leather was a must. Now I wear leather whenever I have the chance, going to work(I work in an office), walking my dog, shovel snow, got to a restaurant, walking in the park, going to gym. Leather is for any occasion.
Gentlemen, it's all bout leather jackets and Rock 'n' Roll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko